• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowmaking in March

chuckstah

So what resorts will go for renewed snow making when the temps drop next week? Okemo has announced that they will. I would think K might, but they have shut down at the end of Feb in recent years. Sunday River stopped a while back, but are always a candidate to pick it up again. Who else?

cdskier

K definitely will at least on Superstar. They said as much in an e-mail they sent out today.

chuckstah

K definitely will at least on Superstar. They said as much in an e-mail they sent out today.
Good news. It looks like they are committed to June turns. K hasn't made any significant March snow in years, and it is almost always needed to make it til June.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quietman

Last year SR blew top to bottom on White Heat on 3/18. It skied great the next day!!

drjeff

Hoses still out on the fan gun trails (and a few select others) at Mount Snow - they indicated on their passholders forum that they're likely not done yet for the season - some snowmakers now working lift ops and other jobs as well, so they have crews available if they want to..... :Fangun:

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

bushpilot

Last year we went to smugg over Vermont vacation week. They blew snow every night temps allowed. That was a different kinda year though.

dlague

Good news. It looks like they are committed to June turns. K hasn't made any significant March snow in years, and it is almost always needed to make it til June.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app
They blew snow a couple years back on SS and talked up June skiing but make it to the 28th of May.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

catskillman

If Hunter / Peak wants to sell some early season passes for next year they have no choice. The last few weekends have been a disaster with 1/2 hr + lines at the 6 pack, and F broken down and the triple line up the hill. not to mention thee brown spots everywhere now.
Long time passholders not too happy these days...............

yeggous

If Hunter / Peak wants to sell some early season passes for next year they have no choice. The last few weekends have been a disaster with 1/2 hr + lines at the 6 pack, and F broken down and the triple line up the hill. not to mention thee brown spots everywhere now.
Long time passholders not too happy these days...............

Sounds like par for the course with Peaks. I am shocked that even with the weather the natural cover is still intact in NH, even at Crotched. Base was deep to start.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Bostonian

Even with the blowtorch in effect, Gunstock is still 100% open. There is some natural snow in the forecast for up in the whites. The question is where do I go tomorrow? Gunstock, Ragged (I have a free voucher), or Snow? Decisions, decisions..

Glenn

It seems that usually, most places will stop making snow after President's Day. We'll have to see how things look post this weekend. Wouldn't be surprised if there's some late season resurfacing.

Savemeasammy

It was 2 years ago that he is speaking of, not last year.

Fair enough. I hope they "talk up" June skiing again this year. Those of us who actually ski at Killington - particularly in the late season - appreciate it. Even if they fall short of their goal.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jully

Fair enough. I hope they "talk up" June skiing again this year. Those of us who actually ski at Killington - particularly in the late season - appreciate it. Even if they fall short of their goal.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Even as someone who doesn't really ski K, I was rooting for them when they went for June two years ago and following the progress every day (mostly through AZ). I don't think anyone on the East coast doesn't want K to make June. Its a great thing.