• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 2/24/17

Zand

Unfortunately a crushing of work hours prevented me from getting out at all during the snowy past few weeks, so I was left to wait for the blowtorch week instead. Started off in the rain first thing this morning around 8:30 with thick fog above 3,000', but everything cleared out nicely for a mostly sunny and 60 degree afternoon.

Mt. Snow is losing natural trails quickly...Dippers, Upper Ex, Olympic, and a couple other trail sections are now closed. Beartrap is totally melted on skiers left. Lots of big ugly spots even on some prominent snowmaking trails like Ridge and Lodge as well as deep puddles in liftlines and at unload areas.

Crowds were very light by vacation week standards, Bluebird had a few minute wait at worst midday, but every other lift was a ski on and many reserve lifts were running allowing for Bluebird lines to be easily avoided. Groomers skied well as long as you looked out for occasional bare spots and large rocks. Guessing those will be cleaned up nicely once it gets colder on Sunday. Soft bumps on Freefall were the only decent lines with good coverage. Beartrap is rotting fast and the bump lines are nothing to write home about. Jaws and Ledge are still skiable with occasional bumps but they might not make it through tomorrow.

Good news is it's still February, so hopefully we will get some more winter around here before spring really shows up. Bittersweet day, would be great to have many days like today a month from now, but sucks seeing all the snow go down the drain this early.

drjeff

I wouldn't be surprised to see them making snow again.

They announced on their FB page that they're going to fire the system back up at the end of the week, after the Wednesday/Thursday warm event passes

Hose still hanging on most of the fan gun trails, most hoses have been pulled from the air/water guns already