• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2017-2018 Season Passes

Jully

Ragged rolling again with the cheap passes and crowds for next yr

http://raggedmountainresort.com/Season-Passes/

Pretty crazy. They didn't even up the price! It must have worked last year for them to keep doing it.

I hope they don't lose a lot of the pass holders they gained. As I say that though, I am also probably not re-upping the pass either. I opted for it last year as a cheap, close option in a year that I was moving and starting a new job. I wasn't sure how much I'd be able to ski.

Turns out I can ski even more than I could previously and Ragged just isn't enough when the best trees are only skiable for 5 weeks of the year. I never found crowds on the slope to be a problem and when they were bad in the lodge I just booted in the car (I know that isn't an option for everyone though). I just want a multi mountain pass.

xlr8r

Looking at the Sunday River site, they mention that the MAX Pass next year will have new resorts added making it over 40 mountains.

xwhaler

Pretty crazy. They didn't even up the price! It must have worked last year for them to keep doing it.

I hope they don't lose a lot of the pass holders they gained. As I say that though, I am also probably not re-upping the pass either. I opted for it last year as a cheap, close option in a year that I was moving and starting a new job. I wasn't sure how much I'd be able to ski.

Turns out I can ski even more than I could previously and Ragged just isn't enough when the best trees are only skiable for 5 weeks of the year. I never found crowds on the slope to be a problem and when they were bad in the lodge I just booted in the car (I know that isn't an option for everyone though). I just want a multi mountain pass.

Exactly...when the trees are all in Ragged skis much bigger than its vertical IMHO. Problem is they realistically dont get the natural snow to get the trees consistently open very much.
They did a great job this yr getting snowmaking routes buried and open and that's commendable. Lift lines haven't been an issue really given the volume of ppl at the hill.

We aren't renewing because for my family a quieter lodge is desired (ragged is a zoo and not organized from f+b to tables to anything in there) + we want a mtn devo program for my son for next yr. Ragged doesn't offer that at his age (5 next yr)

Selfishly it will be nice to have a longer season and multi mtn options as well.

Having said that $249 is a real good deal and if I were in different circumstances I'd absolutely consider it as a supplement to other skiing.

thebigo

we want a mtn devo program for my son for next yr. Ragged doesn't offer that at his age (5 next yr)

Same situation. Daughter will be five next november, only season long program we can find within an hour from home is at crotched. Ragged does not appear to offer a program for this age group. Only thing I can find on the Sunapee website is over $2K, the Gunstock offering is cheap but only six weeks at 90 min per week. Pats describes their offering for five years olds as 'child care with outdoor play'. Peaks pass is our only option, just wish they had a decent offering for seniors so that my dad could join us more often than $29 sunday afternoons.

dlague

Same situation. Daughter will be five next november, only season long program we can find within an hour from home is at crotched. Ragged does not appear to offer a program for this age group. Only thing I can find on the Sunapee website is over $2K, the Gunstock offering is cheap but only six weeks at 90 min per week. Pats describes their offering for five years olds as 'child care with outdoor play'. Peaks pass is our only option, just wish they had a decent offering for seniors so that my dad could join us more often than $29 sunday afternoons.

Ragged

Child 5 and under Free w/paying adult - I assume a season pass is a paying adult.

thebigo

Ragged

Child 5 and under Free w/paying adult - I assume a season pass is a paying adult.

Lift tickets for under six are free at most places. We have been putting her in lessons every week this year, she has made tremendous progress, wanted to put her in a seasonal program next year. Something that meets every week for several months, ideally with the same kids, best i can tell crotched is the only offering for five year olds, we would switch to gunstock or ragged if they had a comparable offering, even consider pats and sunapee.

xwhaler

Lift tickets for under six are free at most places. We have been putting her in lessons every week this year, she has made tremendous progress, wanted to put her in a seasonal program next year. Something that meets every week for several months, ideally with the same kids, best i can tell crotched is the only offering for five year olds, we would switch to gunstock or ragged if they had a comparable offering, even consider pats and sunapee.

Ragged does have a program (my son is in it this yr) which at $299 for the 10 block is a tremendous value.
He's only been on the Barnyard through the program but up top all the time with my wife and I. The Adventure camp program has been okay but it seems more like glorified babysitting skiing with him vs actual teaching.
Regardless, it has allowed my wife and I to get some free runs in plus trade off watching our 15 month old.

I forgot they have a section that will take them up top so now it has me thinking again.

$822 Ragged (all in 2 passes+lessons) vs $1509 for Peaks Ranger (assuming last yrs $500 price point remains)
Thought I had it figured out but this is a pretty big spread that could be rolled right back into big mtn skiing for us.
Decisions, Decisions.

http://raggedmountainresort.com/Kids-Ski-Programs/

Jully

That's really frustrating that there seems to be a lack of true skiing seasonal programs for 5 year olds in southern NH that are reasonable. Odd considering many miniature race programs start at age 6 and definitely age 7.

Edit: that's nice to see ragged does have a program. Still frustrating that it is not stratified by ability level. A 5 year old can absolutely progress beyond Barnyard, especially with regular instruction.

Jully

Looking at the Sunday River site, they mention that the MAX Pass next year will have new resorts added making it over 40 mountains.

Anyone have thoughts or knowledge as to what the new Max mountains will be? They are at 39 now I think, so it might only be 1 or 2 more. Itd be awesome if it were more than that though.

I selfishly would love another eastern mountain, preferably one within 2.5 hours of Boston, but I suspect that is unlikely.

xwhaler

Edit: that's nice to see ragged does have a program. Still frustrating that it is not stratified by ability level. A 5 year old can absolutely progress beyond Barnyard, especially with regular instruction.

This. It's been my biggest complaint about the program this yr that my son is in. It seems somewhat disorganized and I will see him skiing off the carpet sometimes when I clearly tell them he should be on the BY chair and skis with me (in the woods) up top.
They have a ton of volume in the program + the free Bebe Woods learn to ski so the rations are high and I don;t feel he is getting any much coaching out of it.

I use it more as a way for him to continue to get time on snow and to give us a chance at some free runs.

chuckstah

I'm not thrilled that NE Bronze pass is going up $35, but it has always been quite a steal. Increase is fine this year, but if it goes up again next year, I won't be happy. I'm curious to see how much the maxpass add on is, since that is the real steal and makes up for any increase on NE Bronze...it was $299 this year.

the cubbiest skier you've ever met
It was $415 last year. But I think I'll just get the max this year. Good variety and no blackouts.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

xlr8r

Anyone have thoughts or knowledge as to what the new Max mountains will be? They are at 39 now I think, so it might only be 1 or 2 more. Itd be awesome if it were more than that though.

I selfishly would love another eastern mountain, preferably one within 2.5 hours of Boston, but I suspect that is unlikely.

The Max Pass is mostly made up of groups that own/operate multiple areas: Boyne, intrawest, Mueller's, etc. So to me the most logical ownership group in the northeast that is not part of any other multiple pass is the Fairbanks group with Jiminy, Cranmore (although it is on the White Mtn Superpass), and Bromley, that would be my guess of a possible add in New England. Jay and Burke are the other likely possibility.

dlague

We tried kids lessons with our boys and they never progressed fast enough. Group lessons often go at the pace of the weakest skier or snowboarder. We have four boys and we basically paid for a few good private lessons and then took them from there. Now all of our kids are bat shit crazy.

Jr. race programs help a lot but I think they start at age 6.

thebigo

We have put her in four sessions of the radicals program at Crotched this year, she went from being barely able to stand on skis to bombing down from the summit last night. At $80 per session plus tip it adds up, but it gets her three hours of instruction with a 2-1 ratio. No complaints about the radicals program, plan to do another couple of sessions this year. Were planning on the Tigers program next year but just looking for some variety after skiing crotched almost exclusively this year, disappointed there is no other comparable race program for 5 year olds in southern nh.

Jcb890

The Max Pass is mostly made up of groups that own/operate multiple areas: Boyne, intrawest, Mueller's, etc. So to me the most logical ownership group in the northeast that is not part of any other multiple pass is the Fairbanks group with Jiminy, Cranmore (although it is on the White Mtn Superpass), and Bromley, that would be my guess of a possible add in New England. Jay and Burke are the other likely possibility.
Jay would be a great addition. The Fairbanks group options would be a disappointing batch of new mountains.

Jully

Jay would be a great addition. The Fairbanks group options would be a disappointing batch of new mountains.

Agreed. I would like to ski Bromley, but those other mountains are too far and not very compelling. I would love to see more independent mountains join. Wachusett somehow got in.

dlague

We have put her in four sessions of the radicals program at Crotched this year, she went from being barely able to stand on skis to bombing down from the summit last night. At $80 per session plus tip it adds up, but it gets her three hours of instruction with a 2-1 ratio. No complaints about the radicals program, plan to do another couple of sessions this year. Were planning on the Tigers program next year but just looking for some variety after skiing crotched almost exclusively this year, disappointed there is no other comparable race program for 5 year olds in southern nh.

Have you considered Ginstock?

https://www.gunstock.com/winter/kids/multi-week-programs/

Jcb890

Agreed. I would like to ski Bromley, but those other mountains are too far and not very compelling. I would love to see more independent mountains join. Wachusett somehow got in.
Yeah, I wonder how Wachusett managed that. I think there are some other smaller, independent mountains on there as well.

Wachusett hopped onto the MAX Pass, but then bailed on their other discounts they offered last year like 50% off Mount Snow lift tickets Sunday through Friday. We used that a lot last year to hit Mount Snow on Sundays.

I am contemplating if we'll do the Wachusett pass next year, I wind up getting bored with their terrain a lot. It is/was a great place for my wife to practice and learn though. All we really need is the Bronze pass, but then you can't do the MAX Pass Add-On... annoying.

yeggous

I was thinking about the New England Silver or White Mountain Super Pass. Right now I'm leaning toward grabbing both the Peak Pass and Max Pass.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app