• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2017-2018 Season Passes

Jcb890

Smugglers Notch is still a "free agent", no? Why does everyone seem to think Peaks is going to join Max? (Not that I would mind) A lot of people here seem to enjoy their eastern products so I see no pressure for them.

I will say that I personally, am shopping for the western component, as that's where I want to go vacation for now. I am obligated to be in the east for at least several more years so that plays into it too. We've enjoyed our Max pass season so far.

And on a slight swerve, opinions on RFID (I know there was a thread at one time) now? I really like it. We have found that, of course, not everyone has it on Max. Several do though and it was really nice using it at Okemo in the east and Winter Park in Colorado, where we were able to park in the lot we wanted to, pop it in the pocket, and ski onto the lift.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
We have also enjoyed our MAX Pass season. So far I'm at 15 days used on the MAX w/ 4 @ Copper and 4 @ Big Sky. We'll definitely use it a few more times too, saving my last 2 at Killington for some nice Spring riding conditions. Hopefully we'll get 20+ days on the MAX by the end of this season.

We haven't gone to the New England resorts as much as I would have liked or thought we would, but there's been a few tough weekends where we have skipped due to weather.

I really wish we could do the MAX Pass Add-On to the Peak Pass offering, we would just make Mt. Snow our home mountain and then use the MAX for other New England and Western trips.

RFID is awesome. Wachusett has it and it is nice and easy to use. The only things that are a bit of a pain is when you have to go to customer service and redeem the MAX Pass for a regular day lift ticket. At Copper we were able to go direct to lift and they scanned us, but at Big Sky we had to redeem them. Not a huge hassle, but a little less convenient than being able to go directly to the lift.

xlr8r

Windham is definitely one of the MAX pass additions. They have it on their website.

4aprice

We have also enjoyed our MAX Pass season. So far I'm at 15 days used on the MAX w/ 4 @ Copper and 4 @ Big Sky. We'll definitely use it a few more times too, saving my last 2 at Killington for some nice Spring riding conditions. Hopefully we'll get 20+ days on the MAX by the end of this season.

We haven't gone to the New England resorts as much as I would have liked or thought we would, but there's been a few tough weekends where we have skipped due to weather.

I really wish we could do the MAX Pass Add-On to the Peak Pass offering, we would just make Mt. Snow our home mountain and then use the MAX for other New England and Western trips.

RFID is awesome. Wachusett has it and it is nice and easy to use. The only things that are a bit of a pain is when you have to go to customer service and redeem the MAX Pass for a regular day lift ticket. At Copper we were able to go direct to lift and they scanned us, but at Big Sky we had to redeem them. Not a huge hassle, but a little less convenient than being able to go directly to the lift.

I guess its not out of the realm of possibility because you can get a Max Pass add on to The Rocky Mountain Super Pass. ( a route I may go)

Copper, Stratton, (I would imagine Killington too) manually scan, that's what the hole in the pass is for, zip tying it to the jacket, but I actually like the gates better. Its like an EZ Pass in your jacket. I know Solitude and Brighton have them in Utah, somebody can fill me in on Steamboat. Loon where I'm headed this weekend makes you go procure a ticket. Just the simplicity of skiing on to the lift I think is great.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

Windham is definitely one of the MAX pass additions. They have it on their website.

I actually thought of them and think that's great. Will take advantage of a Catskill destination for Day trips.

Big plus for me early season when I can't travel much because of work.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

Smugglers Notch is still a "free agent", no? Why does everyone seem to think Peaks is going to join Max? (Not that I would mind) A lot of people here seem to enjoy their eastern products so I see no pressure for them.

I will say that I personally, am shopping for the western component, as that's where I want to go vacation for now. I am obligated to be in the east for at least several more years so that plays into it too. We've enjoyed our Max pass season so far.

And on a slight swerve, opinions on RFID (I know there was a thread at one time) now? I really like it. We have found that, of course, not everyone has it on Max. Several do though and it was really nice using it at Okemo in the east and Winter Park in Colorado, where we were able to park in the lot we wanted to, pop it in the pocket, and ski onto the lift.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

RFID has been really good for lift lines. Of course things have changed. decades ago the lift ticket was more of a visual - have it on and the right color and your good. Then cam barcode readers, the lines now had a stop gap and the person was scanned and it required additional resources. Now we have RFID and while it is proving to be a resource that allows people to get to the lift with out really presenting a lift ticket per se, it is also having an alternative side effect. The ski areas are tracking your every move on the mountain to some degree. At Vail resorts, they can scan you from a distance and if you are violating resort rules well they can tag you. We have the Epic Mix App which ties in the RFID scans with your GPS and voila - boat loads of data being tracked about you.

Also, the same RFID passes can be preloaded (nothing to do with RFID) with a debit or credit card and you do not have to carry much with you.

4aprice

RFID has been really good for lift lines. Of course things have changed. decades ago the lift ticket was more of a visual - have it on and the right color and your good. Then cam barcode readers, the lines now had a stop gap and the person was scanned and it required additional resources. Now we have RFID and while it is proving to be a resource that allows people to get to the lift with out really presenting a lift ticket per se, it is also having an alternative side effect. The ski areas are tracking your every move on the mountain to some degree. At Vail resorts, they can scan you from a distance and if you are violating resort rules well they can tag you. We have the Epic Mix App which ties in the RFID scans with your GPS and voila - boat loads of data being tracked about you.

Also, the same RFID passes can be preloaded (nothing to do with RFID) with a debit or credit card and you do not have to carry much with you.

Dave, Do all Epic resorts have RFID?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

Dave, Do all Epic resorts have RFID?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

yes, at least those in CO - A Basin not being a Vail Resort uses the barcode still. E can see everything about our days on Epic Mix for Keystone, Breck, Vail and Beaver.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Smuggs is still a free agent yes. I'm more thinking in terms of multi area operators.

And I don't necessarily think Peaks will join MAXX, but I think it would make sense if they did as having Western options seems to be the trend in the industry. Not doing puts them at a competitive disadvantage at least a little bit to Boyne, Powdr, etc.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Smuggs is still a free agent yes. I'm more thinking in terms of multi area operators.

And I don't necessarily think Peaks will join MAXX, but I think it would make sense if they did as having Western options seems to be the trend in the industry. Not doing puts them at a competitive disadvantage at least a little bit to Boyne, Powdr, etc.

Adding Peak to the MAX Pass would dilute the eastern market and potentially take away from POWDR, Intrawest and Boyne who all partnered to create the MAX Pass.

Adding smaller independents only helps to drive traffic to POWDR, Intrawest and Boyne resorts. Adding Peak resorts potentially creates competition.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Adding Peak to the MAX Pass would dilute the eastern market and potentially take away from POWDR, Intrawest and Boyne who all partnered to create the MAX Pass.

Adding smaller independents only helps to drive traffic to POWDR, Intrawest and Boyne resorts. Adding Peak resorts potentially creates competition.
Yes and no. It's not as cut and dry as that. As a Peaks passholder I'm not spending any money at the Boyne, Intrawest or Powdr resorts. If I had a Maxx add on available to me, I'd buy it and use it at their resorts extensively. So, in a scenario with someone like me, Peaks would actually lose incremental revenue from me and the other operators would benefit.

prsboogie

Yes and no. It's not as cut and dry as that. As a Peaks passholder I'm not spending any money at the Boyne, Intrawest or Powdr resorts. If I had a Maxx add on available to me, I'd buy it and use it at their resorts extensively. So, in a scenario with someone like me, Peaks would actually lose incremental revenue from me and the other operators would benefit.

This^

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

shredthegnar

MAX 2017-18 Additions

Four NY Mountains: Gore, Whiteface, Belleayre, Windham
2 Midwest Hills: Lutsen, Granite Peak (in case you ever happen to want to ski in Wisconsin or Minnesota...)

Gotta say, I'm pretty psyched to see Gore and Whiteface on it. They were towards the top of my wish list. I just wish there were two western additions instead of two useless midwest places

Zermatt

MAX 2017-18 Additions

Four NY Mountains: Gore, Whiteface, Belleayre, Windham
2 Midwest Hills: Lutsen, Granite Peak (in case you ever happen to want to ski in Wisconsin or Minnesota...)

Gotta say, I'm pretty psyched to see Gore and Whiteface on it. They were towards the top of my wish list. I just wish there were two western additions instead of two useless midwest places

Where did you see this? What about all the other areas?

shredthegnar

Max Pass Facebook Page

"Are you all ready? Here's our announcement for 17/18 passes. Passes will go on sale on Tuesday, March 14. $629 for adults with a $49 down payment option and $329 for the adult add-on pass.
We are now at 44 mountains with the addition of Gore, Belleayre, Whiteface, Windham, Lutsen and Granite Peak."

One thing I will say is that they added six. Had 39. Are up to 44. So one of the existing 39 is gone. Here's to hoping that it isn't something big.

Zermatt

Max Pass Facebook Page

One thing I will say is that they added six. Had 39. Are up to 44. So one of the existing 39 is gone. Here's to hoping that it isn't something big.

Yep, I bet its a big one. My guess Okemo, Steamboat or Temblant

Edit: Nevermind, its Stevens Pass....oh darn!

sankaty

Sounds like the MAX Pass might not be done with the additions. Someone of FB complained about the lack of big mountain additions, and they responded with "Stay tuned . . ."

cdskier

Sounds like the MAX Pass might not be done with the additions. Someone of FB complained about the lack of big mountain additions, and they responded with "Stay tuned . . ."

I hope they were talking about a lack of western additions, because I'd consider both Whiteface and Gore pretty big mountains for the east coast. I wish they had a pass like this years ago when I used to do weekend trips to various places. It has quite a few resorts that I used to frequent.

Jully

Max Pass Facebook Page

"Are you all ready? Here's our announcement for 17/18 passes. Passes will go on sale on Tuesday, March 14. $629 for adults with a $49 down payment option and $329 for the adult add-on pass.
We are now at 44 mountains with the addition of Gore, Belleayre, Whiteface, Windham, Lutsen and Granite Peak."

Pretty much seals the deal for me. Any other additions would be gravy.