• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eagle/Summit County Colorado ski area choices, etc?

dlague

While this is true, Vail isn't for everyone. I personally think it is highly overrated and it's one of my least favorite areas in Colorado. Bigger doesn't always equal better. It's been many years and i haven't skied Blue Sky Basin, but I'd rather ski plenty of other places out there before returning to Vail.

So, if I were BG, I'd definitely check out other areas. I'd probably do 1 Loveland, 1 A Basin, 1 Breckenridge, 2 Vail and 1 Beaver Creek.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

DHS - like your line up! Loveland and A Basin are nice because their base is not spread out like Vail resorts are. These two also have no accommodations or condos around them. From a size perspective they are the smallest of the list but certainly are not according to New England standards with Loveland being 1800 acres and A Basin 960. Just realized that Beaver Creek is slightly bigger than Loveland.

I just looked at the Beaver Creek trail map and I see why they call it Colorado's family friendly mountain. They have a lot of greens and blues there with a smattering of black trails here and there and a black pod (more or less) right in the middle. Might have to investigate BC this weekend especially after they got 19" in the past 7 days.

Last edited:

snoseek

DHS You would like Blue Sky its probably my favorite area on the hill but it eats up some time getting there.

I have a love/hate thing with Vail resort. The place overall is a clusterfuck and when the snow is old it doesn't ski great on the back bowls and blue ski unless you get that corn cycle going in which its fantastic. Powder days ski out pretty quick I assume (never gone on a pow day myself so that's an assumption) The front has some good bump runs and lots of fast groomies along with a few too many people moving highways. The grill area on top of BSB is fantastic! It lacks anything super steep and the steeper pitches are a bit over utilized vs a steeper hill like Taos or Snowbird where the cruisy stuff is the minority. It really is huge and it would take a long time to really learn the mountain fully. I suspect the locals that know Vail have an entirely different perspective than I or 99 percent of the skiers there.

Beaver Creek was the place that surprised me. Got that on a snowy day and it was absolute heaven!

I would gladly ski either of those tomorrow than the rain and 50's here!

dlague

DHS You would like Blue Sky its probably my favorite area on the hill but it eats up some time getting there.

I have a love/hate thing with Vail resort. The place overall is a clusterfuck and when the snow is old it doesn't ski great on the back bowls and blue ski unless you get that corn cycle going in which its fantastic. Powder days ski out pretty quick I assume (never gone on a pow day myself so that's an assumption) The front has some good bump runs and lots of fast groomies along with a few too many people moving highways. The grill area on top of BSB is fantastic! It lacks anything super steep and the steeper pitches are a bit over utilized vs a steeper hill like Taos or Snowbird where the cruisy stuff is the minority. It really is huge and it would take a long time to really learn the mountain fully. I suspect the locals that know Vail have an entirely different perspective than I or 99 percent of the skiers there.

Beaver Creek was the place that surprised me. Got that on a snowy day and it was absolute heaven!

I would gladly ski either of those tomorrow than the rain and 50's here!

With the new snow the mountains just got I would like to be at Beaver Creek also to give it a whirl rather than working. Beaver Creek does seem to have a cross patch of trails though.

BenedictGomez

So, if I were BG, I'd definitely check out other areas. I'd probably do 1 Loveland, 1 A Basin, 1 Breckenridge, 2 Vail and 1 Beaver Creek.

It may look very much like that. This thread has convinced me to do Loveland and Arapahoe Basin, 2 days at Vail since I can walk to the lift, and I had never really considered Breckenridge too seriously before this thread, but it does look like an intermediate's paradise and it's important to keep the lady happy. The one that might not happen is Beaver Creek unless they extend the season a week, because it closes April 16th. That would be a shame because I've watched that Birds of Prey downhill course for I dont know how many years and would like to check it out, but something's gotta' give.

dlague

excellent powder day yesterday at BC. ~12-14" new, and kept snowing lightly all day. photos here: http://www.epicski.com/t/150045/2017-geezer-snowbirds-tour

Wow you timed this perfectly - rain back east and snow here. We had about a two week snow drought and now there has been lots of new snow in the mountains with some places getting over 20 inches in the past 7 days and much of that in the past 72 hours. Now it will dry up for a bit and get warmer for the weekend.

abc

Just because the mountains are there doesn't mean you have to ski each of them once in a single trip!

So, instead of one day in each resort, I'd suggest 2 days in each at the minimum. Maybe 3 days if you like one mountain over another.

If that means you only visit 3-4 resort instead of 6 or 7, so be it. You'll never regret NOT going to the other mountains.

If it were me, I'd leave the decision till closer to the time.

Mid-April is quite likely:

1) No issue with Vail pass, so you can drive anywhere you fancy even with a 2wd.

2) Plenty of sunshine and plenty of snow. So definitely need to watch the sun and play the corn oven timing.

Personally, I'd prefer to focus on Vail + Beaver Creek. To be honest, I really don't see the point of going to Keystone. It doesn't have anything that Vail/BC doesn't have.

Between A-basin, Loveland and Breck, they all have something the other 3 don't: tons of wide open bowls that are steeper than Vail's back bowl. So if you want more steep, you would like those 3. But you don't have to run all over them 3, just put in some "quality time" in ONE! If you don't care about the steepness of your run very strongly, I'd go straightly by the lift ticket deal you can find.

dlague

Good point about the sun! It is strong here. You can burn real easy and it is bright in the eyes. As far as snow - we got a couple big storms last April and it raised havoc on I 70. No matter what you do you will have fun - that is required.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

4aprice

Just because the mountains are there doesn't mean you have to ski each of them once in a single trip!

So, instead of one day in each resort, I'd suggest 2 days in each at the minimum. Maybe 3 days if you like one mountain over another.

If that means you only visit 3-4 resort instead of 6 or 7, so be it. You'll never regret NOT going to the other mountains.

If it were me, I'd leave the decision till closer to the time.

Mid-April is quite likely:

1) No issue with Vail pass, so you can drive anywhere you fancy even with a 2wd.

2) Plenty of sunshine and plenty of snow. So definitely need to watch the sun and play the corn oven timing.

Personally, I'd prefer to focus on Vail + Beaver Creek. To be honest, I really don't see the point of going to Keystone. It doesn't have anything that Vail/BC doesn't have.

Between A-basin, Loveland and Breck, they all have something the other 3 don't: tons of wide open bowls that are steeper than Vail's back bowl. So if you want more steep, you would like those 3. But you don't have to run all over them 3, just put in some "quality time" in ONE! If you don't care about the steepness of your run very strongly, I'd go straightly by the lift ticket deal you can find.

Pretty much what I think. You are just better with words then me ABC.

Things just got better for me as I just got all the approvals I need to finish off the season at Winter Park. Stoked.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Edd

Absolutely. Very appreciative of any local knowledge of what to do, where to go, and how to do it ideas.

I think I might rent a 4x4 this time due to the driving as long as it doesn't cost a kidney like it does in Utah. Last year I risked it on 2wd in Utah, figuring that if Canyon restrictions were in place I could just park at the base of the roads and pay for the RT bus ride up. I wound up being lucky and was able to drive all 4 days I needed to, but the situation isnt the same in Colorado.

I'm recalling rentals being cheaper in SLC than Denver by a good margin.

abc

I should have noted, I will have 2 ski days prior to starting my stay at Vail. I'll need to book a few nights at a hotel, so hitting any of the places between Vail and Denver wouldn't be a problem at all in terms of extra driving.
Loveland is right on I-70. A-basin not too far off. Breck a little more of a detour.

I would left condition decide. Personally, I prefer to repeat a mountain a couple times before moving on.

Don't forget about altitude the first day or two.

4aprice

Loveland is right on I-70. A-basin not too far off. Breck a little more of a detour.

I would left condition decide. Personally, I prefer to repeat a mountain a couple times before moving on.

Don't forget about altitude the first day or two.

Yea, even in shape, going from sea level to 10,800 ft (Loveland's base) is a shock to the system. I always spend a night in Denver before heading up. If you get great weather the views are just spectacular, and driving over the pass is a must. (Heck you can ski off the road, my son did it last April). The loveland, ABay areas, and the pass itself are a place to be experienced. I stayed in the BW in Dillon last year and it worked out well for food and bed.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Savemeasammy

As a skier, my priority would be all about the skiing. However if I were taking my wife along on a vacation like yours, I'd have to consider the non-skiing stuff as well. We were out there over the summer, and we both really loved the town of Breckenridge, so I would consider skiing there simply because it would be a cool town to apres in afterwards. We also really liked Vail village, so staying there will be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

snoseek

Vail village has some really really excellent restaurants as well

mister moose

Agree with skipping Keystone. They are the Tremblant of Summit County. Nice village, lame snowfall.

IPAs: Crank Yanker, Melvin, Modus Hoperandi.

April sun in thin air: DO NOT wear a baseball cap and expose your ear tips without gobs of sunscreen. Trust me on this.

4aprice

snoseek

BG you following this? Awesome report Jim and the Chart House?, wow, always wondered about that place, looks awesome. Always been tempted to try to drive up to the Sleeper House too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Man I just took a quick trip over to epic to see those pictures and I all of a sudden have a deep burning desire to ski vail/BC. Easy to forget how great the terrain is and its all so approachable. As a midweek skier Vail does not suck. I think I like BC even better though!

The chart house is pretty good....I've eaten at that one as I lived closeby. Keep in mind they are in fact a fine dining chain. Theres one in South Lake /Tahoe up on Kingsbury Grade. Its ok food with a spectacular view. For pure food experience I go elsewhere but its good for ambience for sure.

Maybe I'll throw a couple resumes in Vail in the fall just for the hell of it....

4aprice

The chart house is pretty good....I've eaten at that one as I lived closeby. Keep in mind they are in fact a fine dining chain. Theres one in South Lake /Tahoe up on Kingsbury Grade. Its ok food with a spectacular view. For pure food experience I go elsewhere but its good for ambience for sure.

Is the Chart House in Aspen the same? I've eaten at that one and remember it being pretty good. Of course everyone sees the one on I-70 every trip up to the mountains. We enjoy Beau Jeau's (sp?) in downtown Idaho Springs. Not as classy, but good pizza.

I've only done Vail/BC a few times (my connections are in Aspen so I know it much better) but there sure looks like a lot of good stuff there to explore.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ