• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eagle/Summit County Colorado ski area choices, etc?

snoseek

Is the Chart House in Aspen the same? I've eaten at that one and remember it being pretty good. Of course everyone sees the one on I-70 every trip up to the mountains. We enjoy Beau Jeau's (sp?) in downtown Idaho Springs. Not as classy, but good pizza.

I've only done Vail/BC a few times (my connections are in Aspen so I know it much better) but there sure looks like a lot of good stuff there to explore.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I can get over the cost of living as the jobs are plentiful and pay really well. The mountain skis good enough and is not too bad on the midweek...the sidecountry is good as well. The deal breaker for me is really the parking situation. In the end Aspen and Telluride are probably where I should look harder. Aspen housing is kind of outrageous though....1000 buck for a room is a good deal which blows my mind

4aprice

I can get over the cost of living as the jobs are plentiful and pay really well. The mountain skis good enough and is not too bad on the midweek...the sidecountry is good as well. The deal breaker for me is really the parking situation. In the end Aspen and Telluride are probably where I should look harder. Aspen housing is kind of outrageous though....1000 buck for a room is a good deal which blows my mind

What parking? Oh yea Vail, I thought you had to park in Eagle to ski there (j/k)

Aspen housing is outrageous, and the parking for residents probably sucks too, but its still the best ski town I've ever been in. There are several (T-ride included) I haven't gotten to yet. Interested to check out Steamboat in a couple of weeks. I liked your Grand Junction Idea. Seems like kind of a cool town, somewhat like Glenwood Springs, where I think I could live. May stop there for a night on the way back to Colo from Utah in 2 weeks.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snoseek

What's pricing in Glenwood Springs like these days? I don't recall that being too bad of a commute from the Aspen areas

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenwood is not too bad....definitely well under 1k for a room...there's a good bus system. The drive is a bit of a drag though.

Telluride has an affordable housing complex. Rooms are subsidized by the ski area but you can live there on you're own for under 1k. Small little 1 bedrooms but I'm not choosy and the location is stellar. Its maybe a little crazy in there for my taste but whatever. outside of that it is astronomical as well.

Junction is far from a ski town but a good place to buy a home and settle. Great weather, cheap, great mtb/hiking/floating/ect....job market is ROUGH though.

BenedictGomez

I'm recalling rentals being cheaper in SLC than Denver by a good margin.

Big time. Last year my 10 day rental in SLC was $204 with taxes, etc... I'm currently pricing $509 for 10 days with taxes, etc... out of DEN. The variance appears to be all in the taxes, which are insane on rental cars in Colorado. A classic case of, stick it to the people who literally cannot vote you out of office.

Don't forget about altitude the first day or two.

Are some people affected by this more than others, or is there a big difference between 13,000 feet and 11,000 feet (i.e. 18%)? The few areas that are at 13,000 feet will be the highest I've ever skied, but a few other of the CO areas are more like 11,000 feet, and neither I nor the woman experienced any problems or ill effects skiing at Alta or Snowbird, and those are roughly 11,000.

April sun in thin air: DO NOT wear a baseball cap and expose your ear tips without gobs of sunscreen. Trust me on this.

I rarely wear sunscreen while skiing so this is a good tip!

BG you following this?
Yeah, some beautiful photography for sure. I like how that church offers early-evening masses on Sunday so people don't have to miss skiing. Great idea.

jimmywilson69

BG I've never had any affects from Altitude while out there. When you are polling around at the top of A-Basin or Breck (~12,000 ft) you get short of breath easier, but didn't really notice it once skiing.

I drink a lot of water, all the time, so that may have helped.

dlague

Big time. Last year my 10 day rental in SLC was $204 with taxes, etc... I'm currently pricing $509 for 10 days with taxes, etc... out of DEN. The variance appears to be all in the taxes, which are insane on rental cars in Colorado. A classic case of, stick it to the people who literally cannot vote you out of office.

Are some people affected by this more than others, or is there a big difference between 13,000 feet and 11,000 feet (i.e. 18%)? The few areas that are at 13,000 feet will be the highest I've ever skied, but a few other of the CO areas are more like 11,000 feet, and neither I nor the woman experienced any problems or ill effects skiing at Alta or Snowbird, and those are roughly 11,000.

I rarely wear sunscreen while skiing so this is a good tip!

Yeah, some beautiful photography for sure. I like how that church offers early-evening masses on Sunday so people don't have to miss skiing. Great idea.

We rented a Hyundai Santa Fe for $309 for a week out of Denver Airport which I thought was pretty good for 6 days.

We were not as affected while skiing as we were while sleeping at 9100 ft. Yes, skating to Zuma Bowl at 12,500 ft does take your breath away as well as flights of stairs. But we also prepared ourselves for it.

Sunscreen is huge - I mentioned this earlier. We got toasted in April last year - basically 2+ miles closer to the sun plus 6 degrees latitude or so closer to the equator.

skiNEwhere

While this is true, Vail isn't for everyone. I personally think it is highly overrated and it's one of my least favorite areas in Colorado. Bigger doesn't always equal better. It's been many years and i haven't skied Blue Sky Basin, but I'd rather ski plenty of other places out there before returning to Vail.

I agree with this. The traverses are super annoying, the crowds suck, and not to mention the back bowls are south facing and relatively low elevation. Seeing as you're skiing late in the year I would just avoid it all together. There's not really any steep terrain either except for Prima Cornice, which is a short run.

Not a huge fan of Keystone either, crowded, and all the fun terrain costs extra unless you wanna pay for a snowcat ride ($$)

Smellytele

I agree with this. The traverses are super annoying, the crowds suck, and not to mention the back bowls are south facing and relatively low elevation. Seeing as you're skiing late in the year I would just avoid it all together. There's not really any steep terrain either except for Prima Cornice, which is a short run.

Lover's leap area is steep as well but short. Not sure where Prima Cornice is but I did ski some other cornice that was partially broken that was pretty steep. Can't remember if it was Cow's face/Cambell's or Genghis Kahn. Think it was the first one though.

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

Lover's leap area is steep as well but short. Not sure where Prima Cornice is but I did ski some other cornice that was partially broken that was pretty steep. Can't remember if it was Cow's face/Cambell's or Genghis Kahn. This it was the first one though

Prima Cornice is off of Prima and served by the Northwoods express.

Lovers leap......yea I guess it counts as steep if it's 90 degrees!

Domeskier

I have been warned by CO locals not to throw one of my massive spread-eagles at that altitude lest I launch myself into orbit.

dlague

2 miles closer has to do with thinner atmosphere not proximity when you are talking about the effects of the sun.
Ok then, you are 2 miles closer to the sun so the air is thinner and the sun feels notably stronger. What ever still burns the heck out of you on Bluebird days.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

4aprice

BenedictGomez

Seems like a reasonable "value" list. Solitude and Powder Mountain I was able to ski both last year for < $30, and I've already procured Loveland tickets for < $36. Alta I believe I paid something like $40 or so, which is awesome considering the terrain quality.

Sadly, however, it seems the discount opportunities for Vail resorts (Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, etc...) are few and far between. My strategy is to wait a few more weeks and see if people start dumping vouchers and snowcheck passes as the end of the season approaches.

Last edited: