• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eagle/Summit County Colorado ski area choices, etc?

dlague

Seems like a reasonable "value" list. Solitude and Powder Mountain I was able to ski both last year for < $30, and I've already procured Loveland tickets for < $36. Alta I believe I paid something like $40 or so, which is awesome considering the terrain quality.

Sadly, however, it seems the discount opportunities for Vail resorts (Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, etc...) are few and far between. My strategy is to wait a few more weeks and see if people start dumping vouchers and snowcheck passes as the end of the season approaches.

I have yet to come across any for Vail Resorts. I have seem some for like 130 but I have buddy tickets that are better than that.

BenedictGomez

I have yet to come across any for Vail Resorts. I have seem some for like 130 but I have buddy tickets that are better than that.

I've seen them, so they definitely exist; in fact, they have numerous varieties.

I've seen PC-only, Keystone/Breck, and one that can be used at any Vail Resort. No clue how people get them though.

jimk

I think I understand that you are staying at Vail, but trying to avoid buying expensive lift tickets for Vail Resorts? In that case, I would agree, bite the bullet and do a day or two at Vail since you are actually there, but then concentrate on Copper, A-Basin, and Loveland. Lots of discounted tickets for those three on Liftopia and/or criagslist. In mid-to-late March you may be able to find a lot of vouchers for sale on denver craigslist for those three, maybe as cheap as $10 per day for Loveland. Not sure if that works for Vail Resorts. One of the few ways to get a deal on VR tickets without buying a season pass is a four pack I believe they still sell in the preseason for Keystone and A-Basin for about $180.
There might be a few tips on meals and non-ski activities here from my recent week skiing Vail and Beaver Creek: http://www.dcski.com/forum/89915

abc

I wonder what put Lake Louise in the "value" category?

And, none of the Tahoe mountains made it. I can easily make a pretty long list, Mt Rose, Homewood, Sierra Ski Ranch...

dlague

FWIW

Thanks to this thread, I visited Beaver Creek. If you go there I recommend C Bar, it is right at the Centennial Lift and their walls open up and they have patio seating as well, perfect for a Spring day. The food is actually pretty good and the prices are not Vail insane - pretty normal actually.

Beaver Creek is indeed a quick drive or ride from Vail. This place is more posh and so far I have not been totally sold on it - I know others are. If you are in Vail already then Beaver Creek is probably worth it since you will be skiing with an intermediate and there are lots of easy runs.

Here is my take

The red circled area was the busiest with lots of traffic - the runs are not bad beginner / intermediate stuff though with a coupe steeper black options.
The X'd out area is not worth the fare unless you want to get in some Aspen glade skiing. There are some decent runs on BC Gulch and Arrow Bahn and there is a cool yurt/bar at the top of BC Gulch lift. Once there you can waste a bunch of time.
The yellow box is all beginner terrain but if you want to take some casual runs it works. Skiing from the summit there to the base makes for a very nice long run that is worth it to take in all 3300 feet of vert.
Green circles are the best terrain that we skied on while we were there with the larger circle being steeper and most runs bumped, the two smaller green circles have nice intermediate and easy black runs. Unfortunately, we did not get to ski the bump runs all that much due to frozen conditions so we want to go back to give that a whirl.

BC.jpg

So Window rates and online rates

Vail - they will be in spring pricing while you are there 130 - online for 108
Arapahoe Basin - 92 - online now for 51
Beaver Creek - 130 - online 108 7 day advance
Breckenridge - Spring pricing starting 4/17 - 78 window - 67 online advance purchase normally 171
Copper Mountain - 150 - online while you are there 84
Keystone - 136 - online 7 day advance purchase 105
Loveland - 71 - late season pricing starts 4/17 TBA

Closing

Vail - April 23rd
Arapahoe Basin - June
Beaver Creek - April 16
Breckenridge - April 23
Copper Mountain - April 16
Keystone - April 16
Loveland - May

BenedictGomez

So getting closer to the trip, and I now have cheap lift tickets for:

Vail (2 days)
Loveland
A-Basin

I'm going to ski Breckenridge, but their online pricing is only $67, so I feel no need to advance buy for there.

If I find a deal on Copper Mountain, is that a good hill worthy of a day? Almost no one commented on that place. It closes on 04/16. I had planned to do Loveland/AB as the first two days, but if Copper is worth checking out I could do it and either Loveland or AB during the first two days and then skiing whichever I didnt get to of AB or Loveland as our last day instead. The CM trail map is tough to figure out as the intermediate terrain looks all clustered in a few spots. Doesnt appear there's anything for the woman off the very top, but if their intermediate stuff is interesting that's not necessarily a terrible thing.

4aprice

Vail (2 days)
Loveland
A-Basin

I'm going to ski Breckenridge, but their online pricing is only $67, so I feel no need to advance buy for there.

If I find a deal on Copper Mountain, is that a good hill worthy of a day? Almost no one commented on that place. It closes on 04/16. I had planned to do Loveland/AB as the first two days, but if Copper is worth checking out I could do it and either Loveland or AB during the first two days and then skiing whichever I didnt get to of AB or Loveland as our last day instead. The CM trail map is tough to figure out as the intermediate terrain looks all clustered in a few spots. Doesnt appear there's anything for the woman off the very top, but if their intermediate stuff is interesting that's not necessarily a terrible thing.

I like Copper a lot. It naturally gets steeper as you go right to left (looking up). You can find Bogo's at some gas stations around the Denver metro.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Smellytele

Vail (2 days)
Loveland
A-Basin

It is a good place but as you noted all the beginner stuff is in one area, all the intermediate in another and the same goes with the blacks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mptT4YDAsZg

BenedictGomez

Another good question to ask is, do some places ski better than others without fresh snow, as there are currently no storms on the horizon over the next week or so. Luckily the snowpack is at its' peak for the season.

Looking ahead at the next 30 days, it appears the overall weather pattern in Colorado will be drier and warmer than normal contributing to the spring melt.

Edd

Another yes vote for Copper. It's got a bit of everything and lighter crowds than the Vail resorts.

$67 sounds rather cheap for Breck. Do prices plummet in April?

BenedictGomez

Another yes vote for Copper. It's got a bit of everything and lighter crowds than the Vail resorts.

$67 sounds rather cheap for Breck. Do prices plummet in April?

According to their website's lift tic page, it's only that low rate for the last 7 days of the season. Throwing the peasants a bone?

4aprice

Another good question to ask is, do some places ski better than others without fresh snow, as there are currently no storms on the horizon over the next week or so. Luckily the snowpack is at its' peak for the season.

They just had snow, but if the snow cycle stops it's still going to be good. My experience is that the magical elevation seems to be 8000 ft, anything above that tends to hold the snow well. It is spring and spring occurs in the Rockies too. Get out the tanning butter and soak up the mountain sun and air. I'm headed out the 19th and kind of hoping for the sun to close out the season. Beach party at the Jane.8)

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

abc

Copper is a good hill, if you want to ski by yourself. But if your wife is of a different ability level, you won't see her till the end of day! Nevertheless, if you can be happy to cruise on lovely blues with your wife, you can enjoy yourself pretty well there too. You just won't be "checking out" the whole mountain that is.

More over, the current weather favors Copper over Breck. If you read my trip report, you'll see Breck doesn't fare all that well in the hot weather and why.

I'm probably going over to Beaver Creek tomorrow. Watch for my report of condition if you're interested.

BenedictGomez

Copper is a good hill, if you want to ski by yourself. But if your wife is of a different ability level, you won't see her till the end of day!

She actually enjoys skiing alone, so that's not a big deal. I was able to acquire Copper lift tix for a whopping $12.40 so we'll be checking it out.

I'm probably going over to Beaver Creek tomorrow. Watch for my report of condition if you're interested.

Will do. Look like there's no snow in the forecast for at least a week, so I imagine true spring conditions will ensue.

Got some BAD news this weekend though, apparently Vail is closing the Back Bowls and Blue Sky Basin for the entire final week of the ski season, a bizarre decision IMO, so I'm going to have to ski there on day 2 now or I wont experience them at all. Grrrrrr....

dlague

The weather totally flip flopped this week will be somewhat of a blow torch!

We were just at Breck and things were pretty slow on runouts and closer to the base on Peak 9. Where there is pitch then things skied OK. The real issue will be the temp swings - firm in the morning on most days due to refreeze but will soften up quickly. Groomers with be the place to start and then the bowls and bumps will be better later in the morning into afternoon.

That being said, I find that A Basin and Loveland ski the best in the spring so far. Vail Resorts seem to have lower bases so they get soft down low so it is best to stay high (no pun intended). If you bring your skis, wax then with a warmer temp wax.

The weather is going to be warm from the looks of things this week and will cool down slightly next week. Then again by next week the only thing left will be Loveland and A Basin.

abc

Forget about Beaver Creek.

They closed half of their terrain this week and reduced their parking shuttle schedule.

But they still charge full price for parking.

BenedictGomez

Forget about Beaver Creek.

They closed half of their terrain this week and reduced their parking shuttle schedule.

But they still charge full price for parking.

You have to pay to park at Beaver Creek?

That's a new one on me; cant say I've ever paid for the privilege of parking at a ski resort.

Jcb890

You have to pay to park at Beaver Creek?

That's a new one on me; cant say I've ever paid for the privilege of parking at a ski resort.
Killington is now offering "Preferred Parking for $20" where you can park super close.
Most of the Colorado resorts I read up on had paid parking, but they also offer free parking. Free parking you are forced to shuttle over to the base. Copper was the same way when we went. We never paid to park though, just used the shuttle service which was nice and easy.

I pay plenty for snowboarding expenses, parking is not one of them.

Smellytele

Killington is now offering "Preferred Parking for $20" where you can park super close.
Most of the Colorado resorts I read up on had paid parking, but they also offer free parking. Free parking you are forced to shuttle over to the base. Copper was the same way when we went. We never paid to park though, just used the shuttle service which was nice and easy.

I pay plenty for snowboarding expenses, parking is not one of them.

If you think about it. The people who pay for parking are supplementing the outer parking lots that the shuttles service.