• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eagle/Summit County Colorado ski area choices, etc?

dlague

Other than a valet situation, I'd rather resorts just build the cost of parking services into the lift ticket and pass prices.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

That is kind of spreading the wealth, right? Those who are willing to pay will pay keeping lift ticket cost low for others who are not willing to pay and would rather get shuttled. If built into the ticket then those who do not want to pay would get there really early and get the closer parking. Plus in Vail country lift ticket prices are crazy already.

BenedictGomez

and when the day rate @ the window is $145 you'd expect it!!!!

Seriously. I guess the ticket needs to be $152 if parking isn't free.

Eventually this Vail strategy is going to hit the top of the bell curve and reach the point of diminishing returns. Frankly, I doubt they're far from that point already after this eastern foray with Stowe concludes and they get a big bump in pass numbers.

dlague

Eventually this Vail strategy is going to hit the top of the bell curve and reach the point of diminishing returns..

I think it already has and in favor of more pass sales. They do not want to play the window sales game. I know many that buy a season pass to ski about two weeks! At Vail the walk up rate is 179 and like 169 advance purchase so even doing the math with the lower rate the Epic Local Pass = 4 advance purchase days. Is there a wonder why Vail surpassed the 650,000 season passes number this past season?

BenedictGomez

I think it already has and in favor of more pass sales. They do not want to play the window sales game. ........ Is there a wonder why Vail surpassed the 650,000 season passes number this past season?

Yes, but as we see, the Vail model is now being imitated by several others. I'm not sure how that all shakes out in terms of saturation and some people growing weary of it. There are definitely plenty of folks like me who have no interest in being season pass holders, and also have no interest in $179 lift tickets. If everyone gobbles everyone up, I see myself spending even more days at the Smuggler's Notches and Plattekills of the world.

dlague

Yes, but as we see, the Vail model is now being imitated by several others. I'm not sure how that all shakes out in terms of saturation and some people growing weary of it. There are definitely plenty of folks like me who have no interest in being season pass holders, and also have no interest in $179 lift tickets. If everyone gobbles everyone up, I see myself spending even more days at the Smuggler's Notches and Plattekills of the world.

The worst part, Vail is not in the discounted ticket space either. There are some deals (limited) but they are relative to the high window rate which in the end even when discounted seems high. Lets face it, the entire ski industry is looking for a way to get people using season pass products since window sales and even online sales are not very predictable, whereas, season passes are generally sold before the season starts. Vail has figured it out to some degree and others are following.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That is kind of spreading the wealth, right? Those who are willing to pay will pay keeping lift ticket cost low for others who are not willing to pay and would rather get shuttled. If built into the ticket then those who do not want to pay would get there really early and get the closer parking. Plus in Vail country lift ticket prices are crazy already.
Everything at a ski resort is "spreading the wealth." Those fancy day lodges at Vail aren't fully financed by $19 cheeseburgers. I often have no interest in using those facilities, yet part of my ticket revenue is going towards building and maintaining those facilities.

BenedictGomez

Scratch Breckenridge off my list given they just announced they're closing a ton of their terrain.

http://www.breckenridge.com/mountain/terrain-status.aspx?CMPID=SOCFY15220#GA1#Top

This seems like a Vail strategy to close much of their terrain down during the last week of the season that they're "open". I'm guessing it's a marketing gimmick so they can claim they're open "later" than most competitors since most are shutting down April 16. Luckily I didn't buy Breckenridge tickets ahead of my trip.

snoseek

Scratch Breckenridge off my list given they just announced they're closing a ton of their terrain.

http://www.breckenridge.com/mountain/terrain-status.aspx?CMPID=SOCFY15220#GA1#Top

This seems like a Vail strategy to close much of their terrain down during the last week of the season that they're "open". I'm guessing it's a marketing gimmick so they can claim they're open "later" than most competitors since most are shutting down April 16. Luckily I didn't buy Breckenridge tickets ahead of my trip.
Just go to loveland and have a nice chill day.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Not just a Vail thing really. Most eastern ski areas with multiple peaks start shutting down sections of their operations late season even when there's plenty of snow.

Jully

Not just a Vail thing really. Most eastern ski areas with multiple peaks start shutting down sections of their operations late season even when there's plenty of snow.

I know some pretty frustrated SR passholders who can speak to that. Shut down some terrain in the middle of the day of the last weekend they were open.

4aprice

That's not just Vail. Copper does that too.

Copper shuts some of their bowls due to "Avalanche Danger". Apparently they fear slab Avalanches as the temperature warms, at least that's what I was told.

Most of Winter Park/Mary Jane remains open and they extended the season to the 30th.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snoseek

I think that's exactly what I'll do. Seems like the type of small homey place that I'll like.

I prefer the Smuggs, Plattekill, and MRGs of the world.

In that case loveland is right up your alley. Cheap pints and proper green chili at the bar. Great hill for all abilities and not all that small.

dlague

Ya I mentioned that in a trip report a couple weeks back and I think in this thread too! A waitress warned us.