• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eagle/Summit County Colorado ski area choices, etc?

jimmywilson69

Go to Loveland. It's got good stuff there for you and your wife. You can stand on the continental divide and point at Breckenridge and laugh.

You can boot up at your car and walk to chair 1. Which as was mentioned earlier has some of my favorite expert runs in CO.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

How late is abasin expecting to go? I'll be traveling through on my way to Tahoe next month....a few days after mothers day and would like to get some turns in but if its just groomers then ill just keep driving. I'm hoping for maybe some Pali laps.

jimk

How late is abasin expecting to go? I'll be traveling through on my way to Tahoe next month....a few days after mothers day and would like to get some turns in but if its just groomers then ill just keep driving. I'm hoping for maybe some Pali laps.

I have a couple of friends flying out there to ski for Mother's Day weekend. I think they are projecting to stay open at least until June 4 weather permitting. Believe Pali trail pod still open at this time, although ever since deadly inbounds Spring 2005 avi they can abruptly close Pali with plenty of snow if they think there is destabilizing melting underneath.

dlague

I have a couple of friends flying out there to ski for Mother's Day weekend. I think they are projecting to stay open at least until June 4 weather permitting. Believe Pali trail pod still open at this time, although ever since deadly inbounds Spring 2005 avi they can abruptly close Pali with plenty of snow if they think there is destabilizing melting underneath.

Spot on! Last year they projected the same weekend but then extended until June 12th with top to bottom and a single run below Black Mountain Lodge.

BenedictGomez

Colorado needs snow desperately. Hasn't snowed a flake since April 9th. The lower trails at Vail are absolutely roached to dirt and green grass, and I dont think they'll make it to they're closing day of April 23rd unless they really get crafty with moving snow around. Today there were signs at Mid-Vail advising patrons to take the gondola down at the end of the day due to "conditions" on the lower mountain. Holy crap was it melting fast today! Top of the mountain is nice spring conditions though. Skied Copper 3 days ago and it's at a much higher elevation so it was holding snow better, but I'm in shorts and a tee-shirt right now in Vail Village where it's almost 70 degrees!

Jcb890

Colorado needs snow desperately. Hasn't snowed a flake since April 9th. The lower trails at Vail are absolutely roached to dirt and green grass, and I dont think they'll make it to they're closing day of April 23rd unless they really get crafty with moving snow around. Today there were signs at Mid-Vail advising patrons to take the gondola down at the end of the day due to "conditions" on the lower mountain. Holy crap was it melting fast today! Top of the mountain is nice spring conditions though. Skied Copper 3 days ago and it's at a much higher elevation so it was holding snow better, but I'm in shorts and a tee-shirt right now in Vail Village where it's almost 70 degrees!
What did you think of Copper?

Hopefully you're having fun. Colorado sounds nice right now! What did you think of Vail?

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

How are conditions comparing at Winter Park, Loveland and A-basin these days. Will be out there to ski Sat and Sun.

BenedictGomez

What did you think of Copper?

It was cool. I'll have to try it again sometime when the bowls are open. I was surprised how large the village is and how not large the front side is. I guess I was expecting a bigger place, but it was small enough that you could really hit much of the terrain (sans bowls) in one day. I was there the 2nd to last day of the season and they were selling 5-packs for next season for $169, what a steal of a deal for terrain of that quality.

dlague

How are conditions comparing at Winter Park, Loveland and A-basin these days. Will be out there to ski Sat and Sun.

I was at Loveland and A Basin on Saturday and Sunday and while firm in the early AM by 10 or 11 conditions were stellar. There is not shortage of snow at either this past weekend. I posted a trip report with pictures for both resorts. We will be at both or maybe just A Basin.

Vail's frontside was becoming toast weeks ago. One of the reasons we never went recently. For some reason that side of Vail Pass warms up a lot.

dlague

It was cool. I'll have to try it again sometime when the bowls are open. I was surprised how large the village is and how not large the front side is. I guess I was expecting a bigger place, but it was small enough that you could really hit much of the terrain (sans bowls) in one day. I was there the 2nd to last day of the season and they were selling 5-packs for next season for $169, what a steal of a deal for terrain of that quality.

Did you make it to LL or AB?

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I was at Loveland and A Basin on Saturday and Sunday and while firm in the early AM by 10 or 11 conditions were stellar. There is not shortage of snow at either this past weekend. I posted a trip report with pictures for both resorts. We will be at both or maybe just A Basin.

Vail's frontside was becoming toast weeks ago. One of the reasons we never went recently. For some reason that side of Vail Pass warms up a lot.
Thanks. Never been to either. Loveland is closer and cheaper so I am thinking of going there (sleeping in Ft Collins). Any reason to not go with that option?

BenedictGomez

Colorado sounds nice right now! What did you think of Vail?

Vail's been fun. May as well do a mini impromptu trip report I guess. It's been bright and sunny for the entire 5 days I've been here, despite constant sunblock I'm still a bit red. Skied it Easter and today, and the snow loss in just the last 48 hours is staggering. In fact, I was shocked at the snow loss on one trail I skied today at 2pm and then at 3:30pm! To show you I'm not exaggerating, here's what most of the trails look like near the bottom.

BaseOne.jpg

But higher up, once you get to about 10,000 feet and higher the snow is great soft to slushy spring stuff. Here's a pic of MidVail today, where looking across the horizon you can see how the snow is very elevation dependent.

MidVail.jpg

Here's a picture of China Bowl on Easter Sunday. It was its' last day of operation.

ChinaBowl.jpg

Actually, all the bowls were supposed to close Sunday, so it was a pleasant surprise today when I got to the top and had to do a double-take when I saw people heading to Sundown Bowl, so obviously we headed there.

This is toward the bottom of Widges in the Sundown Bowl. A great route that goes through this little gully at the end. You really feel like you're out in the middle of nowhere in those Back Bowls. Total nothingness, especially when you're almost the only people skiing for as far as the eye can see. Good fun.
Widges.jpg

Lastly, this was Forever, which starts in SunUp Bowl and quickly jumps over to SunDown Bowl. The little ant in the pic is the woman. I was proud of her as usually if she even sees a black diamond sign she heads for the first blue square she sees. She said this trail was "intimidating" with the sustained steepness, but she did fine. I learned the history of this trail and how it got it's name, which is a good story.
Forever.jpg

dlague

Thanks. Never been to either. Loveland is closer and cheaper so I am thinking of going there (sleeping in Ft Collins). Any reason to not go with that option?

You can get A Basin tickets for $61 or if I am there I can get you 30% off or even 2 for 1 if we find another person. PM me.

BenedictGomez

Did you make it to LL or AB?

Going to both towards the end of the trip. Was supposed to go there first, but when Vail announced they were shutting down the Back Bowls and Blue Sky Basin on Sunday, I rejiggered the entire schedule. Blue Sky Basin is unreal. I imagine on a powder day it would be some of the premier terrain in North America. The fact that it takes a while to get there, that there's absolutely zero facilities whatsoever, and that there's no beginner terrain, all help keep the masses away, which just makes it even better.

dlague

Going to both towards the end of the trip. Was supposed to go there first, but when Vail announced they were shutting down the Back Bowls and Blue Sky Basin on Sunday, I rejiggered the entire schedule. Blue Sky Basin is unreal. I imagine on a powder day it would be some of the premier terrain in North America. The fact that it takes a while to get there, that there's absolutely zero facilities whatsoever, and that there's no beginner terrain, all help keep the masses away, which just makes it even better.

We only skied there once this year and never made it over there. Something to do next year I guess. I heard it is pretty nice! We skied Sun Up and Sun Down and covered much of the front side.

jimmywilson69

I love Blue Sky Basin. Worth the "trip" to get there, especially for a PA boy like me. You take 2 lifts to get there, then ski a wide open bowl, and another lift to the goods. The best part of Blue Sky Basin is there is solid intermediate terrain there as well as some great expert terrain.

dlague

I love Blue Sky Basin. Worth the "trip" to get there, especially for a PA boy like me. You take 2 lifts to get there, then ski a wide open bowl, and another lift to the goods. The best part of Blue Sky Basin is there is solid intermediate terrain there as well as some great expert terrain.

Something to look forward to next year! Onward to LL and AB for now!