• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eagle/Summit County Colorado ski area choices, etc?

jimmywilson69

I've never waited in a long line at Blue Sky. Now getting out of there at the end of the day can be PIA, but that's easily avoidable. Easily one of my favorite areas of Vail.

Smellytele

Going to both towards the end of the trip. Was supposed to go there first, but when Vail announced they were shutting down the Back Bowls and Blue Sky Basin on Sunday, I rejiggered the entire schedule. Blue Sky Basin is unreal. I imagine on a powder day it would be some of the premier terrain in North America. The fact that it takes a while to get there, that there's absolutely zero facilities whatsoever, and that there's no beginner terrain, all help keep the masses away, which just makes it even better.

You do have the small "lodge" on top Belle's Camp

jimk

You do have the small "lodge" on top Belle's Camp

...with one of several free BBQ grilling areas for do it yourselfers at Vail.
021415_Vail_BellesCamp_Blog_RicMorenoContro.jpg

There are some choke points in Blue Sky Basin that can be unpleasant on busy days, but my impressions are generally favorable too. I chuckle at folks who bad mouth Vail as a ski area. Coming from my part of the country it's a huge wonderland of skiing. Frontside has tons of runs including classic 1960-70s super wide groomer boulevards, but also bump runs, parks, and some trees. Backside has the famous bowls, which on a good day are pretty extraordinary and not something you get to ski just anywhere. Blue Sky is newer and has kind of has a retro/natural MRG feel with lots of glades and narrow trails that go with the topography. Vail imparts a feeling of spaciousness, but on any given day there are a lot of humans out there with you. At various points you'll see a crowd of people congregating and realize this.

dlague

...with one of several free BBQ grilling areas for do it yourselfers at Vail.
021415_Vail_BellesCamp_Blog_RicMorenoContro.jpg

There are some choke points in Blue Sky Basin that can be unpleasant on busy days, but my impressions are generally favorable too. I chuckle at folks who bad mouth Vail as a ski area. Coming from my part of the country it's a huge wonderland of skiing. Frontside has tons of runs including classic 1960-70s super wide groomer boulevards, but also bump runs, parks, and some trees. Backside has the famous bowls, which on a good day are pretty extraordinary and not something you get to ski just anywhere. Blue Sky is newer and has kind of has a retro/natural MRG feel with lots of glades and narrow trails that go with the topography. Vail imparts a feeling of spaciousness, but on any given day there are a lot of humans out there with you. At various points you'll see a crowd of people congregating and realize this.

We were there for only one day and never really focused on one area. It is huge. We were there on New Years day and it was practically a ghost town until they herded the cattle back to town at the end of the day. We had hoped to make it there more often but it was always easier to hit Breck or A Basin and sprinkle a little Loveland and Keystone in the mix.

Like I mentioned earlier, lots to look forward to next season. We will get 40 days or so in and I feel we barely scratched the surface. The biggest challenge has been to remove the intimidation factor from my wife. She would try almost any run in New England but here I have been having to ease her into steeper terrain. Looks like Blue Sky would have been a good place for her to ski.

4aprice

Going to both towards the end of the trip. Was supposed to go there first, but when Vail announced they were shutting down the Back Bowls and Blue Sky Basin on Sunday, I rejiggered the entire schedule. Blue Sky Basin is unreal. I imagine on a powder day it would be some of the premier terrain in North America. The fact that it takes a while to get there, that there's absolutely zero facilities whatsoever, and that there's no beginner terrain, all help keep the masses away, which just makes it even better.

Whats the end of the trip? Heading out tonight, and the only for sure plans are Mary Jane Saturday. Was really considering hitting Loveland either Thursday or Friday.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

Whats the end of the trip? Heading out tonight, and the only for sure plans are Mary Jane Saturday. Was really considering hitting Loveland either Thursday or Friday.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

At Loveland:

Bumps under Chair 4 were skiing great. Steeps under Chair 1 skied well in the afternoon but was very firm in the morning. Runs from chair 9 were also really good in the afternoon. Trees off Chair 8 are in great shape too in the afternoon. However, there will be no significant warm up in the mountains to soften things up. Will be interesting to see how the few inches of new snow plays out for Friday. Friday will feel like Winter up in those hills!

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Leaving Sunday.

Got a great lesson in why Vail is toast early. Just took a scenic drive around the mountains from Vail, to Minturn, to Leadville, to Copper Mountain and back, and while it was just nuking snow atop and at the base of Copper (30 degrees base) it was raining at the base of Vail and 38 degrees. The difference between a 10,000 foot base and about a 8,800 foot has made a big difference with the recent weather being so warm, I could see from the highway Copper (though closed) still has 100% coverage to the bottom.

dlague

Leaving Sunday.

Got a great lesson in why Vail is toast early. Just took a scenic drive around the mountains from Vail, to Minturn, to Leadville, to Copper Mountain and back, and while it was just nuking snow atop and at the base of Copper (30 degrees base) it was raining at the base of Vail and 38 degrees. The difference between a 10,000 foot base and about a 8,800 foot has made a big difference with the recent weather being so warm, I could see from the highway Copper (though closed) still has 100% coverage to the bottom.
Makes a big difference at Loveland and A Basin too!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

^ Leaving in about 5 minutes for either Loveland or A-Basin, will decide on the road. Looks like about 6 to 8 inches down so far.

BenedictGomez

Finally a Powder day in colorado. Snow stake @ loveland says 7.5 inches, but it lies, there's gotta be a solid 10" out there. Simply fantastic.

snoseek

Finally a Powder day in colorado. Snow stake @ loveland says 7.5 inches, but it lies, there's gotta be a solid 10" out there. Simply fantastic.

In my 3 winters of skiing there they underreport more often than not! Nice good for you!

dlague

Damn! Good for you! Hope to be there tomorrow afternoon. If not then A Basin for sure on Sunday. Powder will be gone but the new snow will be nice!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Both LL and AB are awesome on Powder days. So spread out that there are so many places to get fresh tracks.

Second-to-last run of the day we went to the top, and there were still plenty of fresh lines, and you didnt even need to ski or hike very far either. It snowed all day until about 3pm, just a fantastic day.

BenedictGomez

Last day of the trip was today at A-Basin, and thus ends the 2016-2017 ski season for me. On to gardening, trout fishing, hiking, and biking.