• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eagle/Summit County Colorado ski area choices, etc?

4aprice

Winter Park (Mary Jane) along with Loveland was in spectacular shape. Pano and Challanger were the picks. Eagle Wind was in action too but never got over there. The upside being there is still more to explore next season. WP is definitely a favorite now.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

I was there as well and was getting knee deep shots of fresh in the woods between chairs 1 and 6.

Even though it was only about 8" or 9", it was one of the best ski days I've had in the last few years. Weather was perfect.

While I dont regret trying A-Basin the next day, I wish I just went back to Loveland instead, as A-Basin was entirely tracked out, and frankly I liked Loveland better than A-Basin anyway.

dlague

I was there as well and was getting knee deep shots of fresh in the woods between chairs 1 and 6.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

We were there Saturday getting there around 1. My son had a lacrosse game, but we decided last minute to pack the ski gear and head to Loveland since we knew Sunday would be warmer. While all the powder was tracked out, there was some nice powder chop in areas and it skied like mid Winter and most of the trails skied soft and quiet, Saturday at A Basin was super fast firm yet edgeable in the AM and great for arcing turns. Stuff not groomed had peel away powder chop that had a crusty layer. By 11 the walls were skiing great. As things warmed up the groomers were perfect until about 2 where closer to the base things were getting a little slower. East wall snow was skiing great for our last run shortly after 2 but it was getting heavy.

BenedictGomez

Before I forget, thanks to everyone who gave advice in this thread. The trip was awesome and a great way to end the ski season.

After doing this two years in a row (Utah 2016, Colorado 2017), I highly recommend Easter ski trips to close out the year and get some extra quality days on snow. It's definitely going to be an every year thing for us now. You get some of the best snow the west has to offer and there are zero crowds. Last year in Utah we skied 6 resorts and never had lift lines. This year in Colorado we skied 5 days and the only resort that had lift lines was Arapahoe Basin, and even then it was no worse than a normal (non-holiday) east coast weekend. Next year? California? Montana? Back to Utah? Who knows.....

4aprice

Before I forget, thanks to everyone who gave advice in this thread. The trip was awesome and a great way to end the ski season.

After doing this two years in a row (Utah 2016, Colorado 2017), I highly recommend Easter ski trips to close out the year and get some extra quality days on snow. It's definitely going to be an every year thing for us now. You get some of the best snow the west has to offer and there are zero crowds. Last year in Utah we skied 6 resorts and never had lift lines. This year in Colorado we skied 5 days and the only resort that had lift lines was Arapahoe Basin, and even then it was no worse than a normal (non-holiday) east coast weekend. Next year? California? Montana? Back to Utah? Who knows.....

I've been saying this for years. March and April are the best months out there and it gives one something to look forward to all season even if its not so good back here. Got 14 days in the Rockies this season and will be looking to at least match that next season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Had an awesome 2 days at ABASIN this weekend. Just wish I had applied sunscreen more regularly and liberally. Pass the aloe.

Big thanks to dlague for the BOGO deal Sunday. Nice to meet you.

dlague

Plus starting in March I-70 is a piece of cake!

BenedictGomez

Had an awesome 2 days at ABASIN this weekend. Just wish I had applied sunscreen more regularly and liberally. Pass the aloe.

I was at A-Basin on Saturday and DID use sunblock in the morning, and I still have a goggle tan! Sun was deceivingly potent that day.

Plus starting in March I-70 is a piece of cake!

Not Friday morning it wasn't. Didn't start skiing at Loveland until almost 10:30 because some idiots decided to play bumber cars at the summit of Vail Pass. Eastbound lanes shut down for about 40 minutes until accident cleared. And the roads honestly weren't even that bad at all. A little icy, but almost all the snow was plowed to pavement. I got a good dose of appreciation for that TGR thread, that highway must be near intolerable for much of the winter. I could definitely see it being at least a consideration factor if it was a coin-toss between skiing I-70 corridor mountains and someplace else for vacation.

4aprice

BenedictGomez

^ Go to Loveland instead. Was skiing significantly better than A-Basin a few days ago when I was there, and has received even more snow than A-Basin has since then.

dlague

^ Go to Loveland instead. Was skiing significantly better than A-Basin a few days ago when I was there, and has received even more snow than A-Basin has since then.
Season pass for A Basin. However may use a 2 for 1 at Loveland.

Sunday was pretty darn good at A Basin and generally skis awesome when there is powder.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Hard to believe that a week ago I was skiing full coverage, even powder a week ago tomorrow, and today the boat is in the water for the summer and we might actually take it out this weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

It is getting down right cold here in the Springs. High of 32 for Saturday and potential for 5-8 inches of snow at lower elevations well low for here - I am at ~7000 feet.

snoseek

Looking more and more like worth a stop at Abasin in a few weeks. I'm assuming LL will close by then right?