• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski weekend 3/11 - 12 New England

SnoDevil97

Where to go this frigid weekend? I'm committed to Loon on Sunday, I'll make due with whatever. Where's everyone else?

Next week could do great I'm sure....

prsboogie

I would do Cannon, the guns have been out and they have made a ton of snow

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Probably at Bromley both days (both my kids are racing there both days) although I may get a "free pass" from my wife to not go to Bromley 1 day and ski at Mount Snow instead, as I had the "away duty" at Burke with my oldest last weekend, and next weekend I'm probably looking at having "away duty" both days with my youngest at Magic for races both days.

If I don't get a day in at Mount Snow this weekend or next weekend due to my kids race schedules, the 3 weeks in a row not skiing there will be my longest stretch of not skiing at Mount Snow during their season in over 10 years! :eek:

Smellytele

Well I know Wildcat Sunday, may ski Cannon Monday and might hit Middlebury on Saturday. Going to get a few runs in late this afternoon at Pats. Tomorrow it all comes down to talking my kids into going and Monday it revolves around my wife - I need to convince her x-country skiing will suck...

TheArchitect

I'll be at Sunday River both days. Worried about the winds, though. I don't know how SR lifts are on windy days. It's been ages since I skied there.

Quietman

Joke I've heard is that if a mouse farts on the hill, it will cause wind holds. That being said we were there last Friday and it was breezy, Barker and Jordan were running 2/3 speed, Jordan went on "hold" at 2:30, all other lifts were fine. Tomorrows forecast is for 15mph, should be ok, Jordan might be questionable.

shwilly

I don't know how SR lifts are on windy days.

Stationary!

Aurora, Jordan, and White Heat lifts are the first to close in wind. If other lifts close it is probably genuinely very windy. Little White Cap, South Ridge, and the Chondola (likely converted to a 6 pack if it's windy) will be the last ones spinning.

Good luck, have fun.

For our part, we were going to go to Sugarbush this weekend, but we're not taking the kids out in these temps. Looks like we'll be at Mardi Gras in Burlington.

TheArchitect

Stationary!

Aurora, Jordan, and White Heat lifts are the first to close in wind. If other lifts close it is probably genuinely very windy. Little White Cap, South Ridge, and the Chondola (likely converted to a 6 pack if it's windy) will be the last ones spinning.

Good luck, have fun.

For our part, we were going to go to Sugarbush this weekend, but we're not taking the kids out in these temps. Looks like we'll be at Mardi Gras in Burlington.

Sigh. Well, I was expecting to ski Barker, Spruce and North peaks given that my intermediate son will be with me so I am less concerned with Aurora, Jordan and White Cap

skiMEbike

Sigh. Well, I was expecting to ski Barker, Spruce and North peaks given that my intermediate son will be with me so I am less concerned with Aurora, Jordan and White Cap

I see summit winds forecasts at 35 mph on Saturday & slightly better on Sunday...I can't guarantee anything, but that would not be a concern for me especially if you are planning to stick to central mountain....I would thing Barker & North Peak would be spinning for sure. Also,F.Y.I. Spruce is down for the year, but you can get to it with a short hike from Aurora.

Have fun !!

shwilly

Those should be accessible unless it is truly howling. Note that in Spruce's "unlifted" state this year, the way to get to the top is to take Borealis from the top of Aurora then hike a bit up Sirius.

Smellytele

Stationary!

Good luck, have fun.

I think the chondola was actually on wind hold yesterday when I looked at the report.

Edd

My visits to SR have been sporadic in the last few years but the chondola rarely seems to run at full speed for some reason. It's noticeable when it does.

machski

My visits to SR have been sporadic in the last few years but the chondola rarely seems to run at full speed for some reason. It's noticeable when it does.
Runs at full speed the vast majority of the time. Until winds pick up of the cabins are still on. They only pull them off when winds are forecast to be very high, and they usually won't pull them if winds pick up midday. Takes a bit of time to pull them off.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app