• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Question for Catskills People

Zand

I'm going to be visiting a friend in Poughkeepsie this weekend and then skiing on Sunday. I have a peaks pass so I was planning on Hunter but I've always heard great things about plattekill after big dumps and this seems like a prime weekend for that. I've never been to either. So my question is am I better off skiing Hunter on my pass or paying to ski plattekill?

camberstick

If you want a old school ski mountain experience, plattekill is the real deal. No high speed quads or wannabes like hunta.

Abominable

"March 16, 2017 FINAL STORM TOTAL: 44-48"!!! PLUS...3-4" of lake-effect snow just last night! One word, EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

If they really got four feet of snow, even three feet, then everything should be in play. Hunter will be skied out, and could be a zoo. Platty will hold snow in pockets and secret spots in the woods for weeks. Go online and print out the MTB map. Explore from there.

If you like woods and "old school" feel, go Platty. If you want groomers and will trade crowds for a bit "bigger" place, Hunter is cool too. I wonder if the city folks are "over" skiing for the year or if there will be busloads still going to Hunter.

I'd ski Plattekill. It's a must see, and it's prime time.

cdskier

I'd go with Plattekill in a heartbeat in this situation even if it costs money vs Hunter being free with the Peaks pass. Platty is just an awesome old school mountain with great terrain and barely ever any crowds. The Saturday of President's was the first time I ever really was there when it had a lift line (and even then it was <5 minutes).

Zand

And to make my decision a little easier, plattekill is free on Sunday for anyone with another mountain's season pass!

Scruffy

Don't go to either, they both suck :wink:. Seriously! No, seriously, I would stay away from Hunter this weekend. Everybody and their brother will be there from Maryland and on up. Not to mention the buses they run from NYC.

Pro tip: Get your ass up early, else you'll be parking on the road. Platty's parking is limited.

4aprice

Don't go to either, they both suck :wink:. Seriously! No, seriously, I would stay away from Hunter this weekend. Everybody and their brother will be there from Maryland and on up. Not to mention the buses they run from NYC.

Pro tip: Get your ass up early, else you'll be parking on the road. Platty's parking is limited.

Also realize it's a healthy distance from the Thruway and 28 is not a super highway.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

KustyTheKlown

hunter will be a mob scene and there isn't really any gladed terrain so everything will be skied off. its probably already skied off.

platty will have much less significant crowds and will have powder stashes in their ample woods boundary to boundary

if you like skiing powder in the woods, go to plattekill. they deserve your money anyway.

BenedictGomez

Also realize it's a healthy distance from the Thruway and 28 is not a super highway.

Also realize the economy up there is like a 3rd-world nation and "speeding tickets" comprise 2/3* of local government revenue.

*Not a verified statistic, but it feels that way.

And obey the speed limit everywhere.
Hunter will be a zoo.

Beat me to it I see.

tnt1234

Taking my kids to platty saturday. Can't wait.

Hunter is solid, and the back side looks at least half open, so that would be great skiing on soft snow. Definitely more vertical. On the other hand, Platty has no run out.

Not really a bad decision, but if travel time didn't matter, i would go to plattekill.

kingslug

Looks like they will open westway, a rare thing. For me the West side of Hunter is where its at. When its good there is nothing like it until you hit Killington. But Platt is the crowd beater, you just ride the lift a lot.

nysskier

Belleayre is skiing very nice. Lots of stashes shouldn't be too crowded for the weekend