• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay this weekend

Root16

I'm coming up from the Berskhires, Massachusetts to Jay Peak early tomorrow morning and am looking for someone to ski with. I'm an "advanced" skier and will be looking to get some early runs in in the trees, but sort of prefer not to ski alone.

Root16

Jay Peak was pretty phenomenal. I got on the lift at 8:36am and enjoyed about 6" of powder in the AM and the glades were great fun. The temps never softened the snow and the snow was powdery all the way to my last turn at 4:30pm. The snow is still 4' deep in spots in the glades, and only a very few well worn spots revealed stumps/sticks or other nasty things under the snow. Well worth the 8 hours in the car.

MG Skier

Jay Peak was pretty phenomenal. I got on the lift at 8:36am and enjoyed about 6" of powder in the AM and the glades were great fun. The temps never softened the snow and the snow was powdery all the way to my last turn at 4:30pm. The snow is still 4' deep in spots in the glades, and only a very few well worn spots revealed stumps/sticks or other nasty things under the snow. Well worth the 8 hours in the car.

My buddy is up there for the season and he said this weekend was killer! I
agree it is a long 4 hours up but usually worth it. Cue the self driving car.

Savemeasammy

Jay was really good yesterday. Bluebird skies, zero wind, mild temps and mid-winter conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Pretty unlikely that they would have lift components on a truck come in the day before a lift goes down. Although the Bonaventure lift does seem to have its share of problems. I think that is part of the reason they were planning on replacing it with the Powerline 6.

I was at jay Thurs- Sunday this weekend. As noted by others, the skiing was fantastic. The Bonnie shut down for about two hours on Friday, then ran till about noon on Saturday. Didn't run at all on Sunday and word on the street was that it is an electrical problem. There was no work activity around the lift on Sunday, so the "waiting for parts" theory is a good one. Probably coming from Switzerland.

Edit: And for you Tram-haters out there, put this run in your pipe and smoke it. Friday morning, my nephew and I got on the first tram, and even though we weren't first out the door, made it through the crowd and scored first run down the freshly groomed Vermonter. No stops till we got to Montrealer, high speed GS all the way. What a run! Having said that, we did not ride the tram again over the weekend. Too many people and both cars were loading 40 people.

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

I begrudgingly entered the line for the tram on Sunday because the guy I was skiing with had never been to Jay, and "wanted to do it" (as did both of our boys). Once in line he had second thoughts after doing a rough count and realizing that only 40 at a time get on. There was probably a 4 car wait outside of the building (I'm not sure how many were queued up inside). He came to his senses and we bailed. (Not to mention that their hope was to ski Vermonter!). I'm sure the view with the bluebird sky was fantastic, but still not worth it.

dlague

I begrudgingly entered the line for the tram on Sunday because the guy I was skiing with had never been to Jay, and "wanted to do it" (as did both of our boys). Once in line he had second thoughts after doing a rough count and realizing that only 40 at a time get on. There was probably a 4 car wait outside of the building (I'm not sure how many were queued up inside). He came to his senses and we bailed. (Not to mention that their hope was to ski Vermonter!). I'm sure the view with the bluebird sky was fantastic, but still not worth it.

I agree! Ok for the views some times and some of the runs there but only on low volume days!