• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay this weekend

fbrissette

I probably take an average of less than 1 tram ride per trip to Jay Peak. Too much good stuff available without the tram to endure the wait.

I have 34 ski days at Jay Peak this year, yet only took the tram 3 times. Yesterday mid to late afternoon, there was no line for the flyer (none, zero wait), and it was still a solid 45 minutes wait for the Tram. The things that kills me is that 95% of those people will ski down Vermonter or Northway. So dumb. A few years ago, there was little to no line for the Tram early morning or late during the days. These days are apparently gone, a combination of the reduced capacity and increased number of skiers.

BG: Tram operates at 66% percent of capacity currently (40 instead of 60). And AFAIK, it will stay like this even after the maintenance. Apparently, they have always mistakingly operated too heavy. Good thing there's a safety factor into this...

Note: I have nonetheless skied the ridge a dozen times, by either skinning or walking up on days with no trams, or before opening.

VTKilarney

I hate the tram. Let me repeat. I hate the tram.

But if I am going to be riding the tram, I'd much rather be in the tram with 40 people rather than 60.

With these repairs, they are spending a TON of money for an uphill capacity of 240 per hour or so.

Jcb890

I hate the tram. Let me repeat. I hate the tram.

But if I am going to be riding the tram, I'd much rather be in the tram with 40 people rather than 60.

With these repairs, they are spending a TON of money for an uphill capacity of 240 per hour or so.
Yeah, that really makes no sense.

BenedictGomez

BG: Tram operates at 66% percent of capacity currently (40 instead of 60).

Not good. At any rate, it obviously explains why the tram lines are even worse this year.

Funny thing is, very few even seem to know about this issue. I've probably volunteered the info about the reduced rate to a half-dozen strangers commenting about the long tram line this season, and not a single one of them was aware. Small sample obviously, but my perception is that virtually nobody noticed from season-to-season there's fewer people in the car this year.

It's financially nonsensical, but the operator is only interested in keeping the lights on, not resort efficiency.

KustyTheKlown

People who ride the tram for anything other than the face, tuckerman, green beret, or valhalla are dummies

Burke and Magic were both ski on most of the day.

First time to burke in over 10 years and I will be back. Great skiing all over the left side of the map.

Collonade Inn in Lyndon is cheap and very very nice.

dlague

People who ride the tram for anything other than the face, tuckerman, green beret, or valhalla are dummies

Burke and Magic were both ski on most of the day.

First time to burke in over 10 years and I will be back. Great skiing all over the left side of the map.

Collonade Inn in Lyndon is cheap and very very nice.

Agreed! Never really found too much value in taking the tram.!

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
Bluebird yesterday - Tram waits less than 15 minutes.

Can't believe how many intelligent members don't get the value of the Tram. The wide-eyed wonder of those 6 to 60 years old, first time riders is what it's all about! An elderly woman naming all the gorgeous vistas from the top to her out-of-town friends - is what it's about! Who knows how many 5+ figure weddings are booked due to photo - ops of mountain top wedding parties...get my drift?

JPR mgmt gets it. Experiences are the product folks are buying. Anyone who thinks users of the Face terrain are filling the hotel, parking lots, F&B outlets is delusional.

Last edited:

VTKilarney

Can't believe how many intelligent members don't get the value of the Tram. Experiences are the product folks are buying.
When the majority of the skiers are there, the experience is an frustratingly long wait. It's also the experience of being jammed up against a sweaty stranger.

Jcb890

I like riding the Tram and enjoy the terrain up there. Waiting for the Tram sucks no matter what way you cut it.

fbrissette

I like riding the Tram and enjoy the terrain up there.

Most of us do. What's beyond me is why anyone would wait an hour to ski an extra 100m vertical especially when the really cool stuff boils down to 5 turns on Face Chute, 3 on Green Beret and about 15 on Pumphouse.

And for the life of me, I cannot understand waiting an hour so ski Northway or Vermonter unless you like skiing half days and are happy with 6 runs per day.

I'm willing to wait one tram (10 minutes) if the conditions are good up there and that's it.

bdfreetuna

Those 15 turns on Pumphouse are a nice way to end the season though, or any spring day when you're thinking "One more run..."

fbrissette

Those 15 turns on Pumphouse are a nice way to end the season though, or any spring day when you're thinking "One more run..."

Indeed. However, with a one-hour wait, I'll go for 4 extra runs on the flyer instead, or walk 15 minutes. There is no justification for the hour-long wait unless you're a tourist or a lazy skier.

bdfreetuna

With a line that long they should give you electronic buzzer pucks so you can go have a couple drinks at the bar and be alerted when it's your turn to take the tram.

Jcb890

Most of us do. What's beyond me is why anyone would wait an hour to ski an extra 100m vertical especially when the really cool stuff boils down to 5 turns on Face Chute, 3 on Green Beret and about 15 on Pumphouse.

And for the life of me, I cannot understand waiting an hour so ski Northway or Vermonter unless you like skiing half days and are happy with 6 runs per day.

I'm willing to wait one tram (10 minutes) if the conditions are good up there and that's it.

Indeed. However, with a one-hour wait, I'll go for 4 extra runs on the flyer instead, or walk 15 minutes. There is no justification for the hour-long wait unless you're a tourist or a lazy skier.
Agreed, 1 tram is all I'd wait also. I've never had to wait longer actually, but I don't tend to hit Jay during the heart of the season. The only times I have gone is either early in the season or late.

That said, I'm also not walking up there instead of waiting for the Tram... unless I was there and it was absolutely dumping with lifts closed and I had to walk to get the goods.

fbrissette

With a line that long they should give you electronic buzzer pucks so you can go have a couple drinks at the bar and be alerted when it's your turn to take the tram.

That would work. Or they'll come up instead with a fastpass system where you pay more for a shorter line. Or get faster access if you book a hotel room package.