Magic Mountain - West Side

AlpineZone

View Poll Results: What is the "easiest" way down the west side of Magic Mountain, other than Wizard

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Broomstick / Heart of the Magican / Lower Magician

    1 10.00%
  • Talisman

    8 80.00%
  • Sorcerer

    1 10.00%
  • other

    0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1

    Question Magic Mountain - West Side

    Hi everybody. Longtime lurker, first post.

    Looking for advice on what you think is the "easiest" (or maybe it is better to say, least difficult) way down the west side of Magic Mountain, for someone who is ready to venture off Wizard?

    Also any comments you have about the reasoning behind your choice are most appreciated!

    a) Broomstick / Heart of the Magican / Lower Magician
    b) Talisman
    c) Sorcerer
    d) other

    Thanks.


  2. #2
    I'd say talisman this year since its the one with the best coverage and you are less likely to have to turn around a stick or a rock or something. Sometimes that stuff freaks intermediate level skiers/riders out.

    Otherwise I see little difference in a or b

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by NY DirtBag View Post
    I'd say talisman this year since its the one with the best coverage and you are less likely to have to turn around a stick or a rock or something. Sometimes that stuff freaks intermediate level skiers/riders out.

    Otherwise I see little difference in a or b
    Talisman was bumped up yesterday.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

  4. #4
    Talisman IF groomed. If everything is bumped up Broomstick/Heart of Magician is best route as it is not as steep, though Broomstick is obviously very narrow - though at least you can look down it before committing.

    Couple other things to keep in mind.

    Sometimes Broomstick is groomed all the way down to Black Line, and sometimes that grooming continues down skiers left of Black Line and cuts down Link back into Lower Heart of Magician. That would be the easiest way as that section of Black is not that steep, and if groomed would not be too difficult (though its probably only two groomer widths wide).

    Also, there is another "Link" like trail that cuts from Backline into Heart of Magician right where Broomstick ends at Black Line. Not on map but its there. I haven't skied it recently so a recon trip might be order. But this route avoids the first and steepest section of Heart of Magician.

    Finally, often when Tali is groomed so is Bailout into Lower Heart of Magician all the way down. This will eliminate about half the steepest pitch on Tali.

    Best to seek out Mark Lynch, Head of Ski Patrol or one of his colleagues to get the rundown on what Brownie actually groomed up the night before. The level of detail you will need is not likely on the snow report.
    2017/18 =
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

  5. #5
    Thanks for the comments everybody, keep 'em coming.

    I was out there today and had a great time, but I chickened out at the top of Talisman and made the "walk of shame" back up to Wizard... Talisman was pretty bumped up and I get a little woozy when the trail is so steep I can't see over the edge.

    I think I should have taken Broomstick, which was groomed and didn't look gut churningly steep. Then follow slathams directions from there. Try to observe if there is any grooming when I am taking the Black Chair over the section of Black Line that slathom mentioned, between Broomstick and Link. Broomstick didn't look all that narrow from the top, especially after going down the short "Potter" trail a little further down Wizard.

    Hopefully next time...
    Last edited by urungus; Mar 19, 2017 at 4:41 PM.

  6. #6
    jrmagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hartsdale NY/Londonderry VT
    Posts
    1,939
    Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Thanks for the comments everybody, keep 'em coming.

    I was out there today and had a great time, but I chickened out at the top of Talisman and made the "walk of shame" back up to Wizard... Talisman was pretty bumped up and I get a little woozy when the trail is so steep I can't see over the edge.

    I think I should have taken Broomstick, which was groomed and didn't look gut churningly steep. Then follow slathams directions from there. Try to observe if there is any grooming when I am taking the Black Chair over the section of Black Line that slathom mentioned, between Broomstick and Link. Broomstick didn't look all that narrow from the top, especially after going down the short "Potter" trail a little further down Wizard.

    Hopefully next time...
    If you were comfortable enough on Potter then broomstick will be ok for you. I have found people are more nervous on broom than Tali or Sorcerer but YMMV

    Sent from my SM-N920V using AlpineZone mobile app

  7. #7
    Heart of Magician can be kinda tough due to double fall line and the way the trail turns into it. Not that steep but requires you to ski differently than usual at times. This with Broomstick is the toughest way down of your listed options.

    Talisman is not a hard trail, if you find it tough just take your time it's not overly steep and doesn't have any surprises.

    Sorcerer isn't a hard trail either and probably the easiest of the 3 options, it's a little less steep than Talisman.

    Any of these trails can be tough under less than ideal conditions though
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

  8. #8
    Talisman

    Magic was so fun yesterday. Lots of snirt and rocks but that makes magic fun.

    I skied red line like a goddamn champ. Drew some cheers from the chair. Dropped a cliff at the red line/witch intersection and a ~13 year old kid on the lift gave me a "woah dude you're good at skiing" which made me smile
    ~the stars turn, and a time presents itself~

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    Dropped a cliff at the red line/witch intersection
    My kid loves that one. There are a few others a bit further down redline, too 👍


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    Dropped a cliff at the red line/witch intersection and a ~13 year old kid on the lift gave me a "woah dude you're good at skiing" which made me smile
    Timed it just right with the one 13 year old kid at Magic still afraid to take a 4 foot drop
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:35 PM.