• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain - West Side

What is the "easiest" way down the west side of Magic Mountain, other than Wizard

• Total voters

urungus

Hi everybody. Longtime lurker, first post.

Looking for advice on what you think is the "easiest" (or maybe it is better to say, least difficult) way down the west side of Magic Mountain, for someone who is ready to venture off Wizard?

Also any comments you have about the reasoning behind your choice are most appreciated!

a) Broomstick / Heart of the Magican / Lower Magician
b) Talisman
c) Sorcerer
d) other

Thanks.

NYDB

I'd say talisman this year since its the one with the best coverage and you are less likely to have to turn around a stick or a rock or something. Sometimes that stuff freaks intermediate level skiers/riders out.

Otherwise I see little difference in a or b

Savemeasammy

I'd say talisman this year since its the one with the best coverage and you are less likely to have to turn around a stick or a rock or something. Sometimes that stuff freaks intermediate level skiers/riders out.

Otherwise I see little difference in a or b

Talisman was bumped up yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

Talisman IF groomed. If everything is bumped up Broomstick/Heart of Magician is best route as it is not as steep, though Broomstick is obviously very narrow - though at least you can look down it before committing.

Couple other things to keep in mind.

Sometimes Broomstick is groomed all the way down to Black Line, and sometimes that grooming continues down skiers left of Black Line and cuts down Link back into Lower Heart of Magician. That would be the easiest way as that section of Black is not that steep, and if groomed would not be too difficult (though its probably only two groomer widths wide).

Also, there is another "Link" like trail that cuts from Backline into Heart of Magician right where Broomstick ends at Black Line. Not on map but its there. I haven't skied it recently so a recon trip might be order. But this route avoids the first and steepest section of Heart of Magician.

Finally, often when Tali is groomed so is Bailout into Lower Heart of Magician all the way down. This will eliminate about half the steepest pitch on Tali.

Best to seek out Mark Lynch, Head of Ski Patrol or one of his colleagues to get the rundown on what Brownie actually groomed up the night before. The level of detail you will need is not likely on the snow report.

urungus

Thanks for the comments everybody, keep 'em coming.

I was out there today and had a great time, but I chickened out at the top of Talisman and made the "walk of shame" back up to Wizard... Talisman was pretty bumped up and I get a little woozy when the trail is so steep I can't see over the edge.

I think I should have taken Broomstick, which was groomed and didn't look gut churningly steep. Then follow slathams directions from there. Try to observe if there is any grooming when I am taking the Black Chair over the section of Black Line that slathom mentioned, between Broomstick and Link. Broomstick didn't look all that narrow from the top, especially after going down the short "Potter" trail a little further down Wizard.

Hopefully next time...

Last edited:

jrmagic

Thanks for the comments everybody, keep 'em coming.

I was out there today and had a great time, but I chickened out at the top of Talisman and made the "walk of shame" back up to Wizard... Talisman was pretty bumped up and I get a little woozy when the trail is so steep I can't see over the edge.

I think I should have taken Broomstick, which was groomed and didn't look gut churningly steep. Then follow slathams directions from there. Try to observe if there is any grooming when I am taking the Black Chair over the section of Black Line that slathom mentioned, between Broomstick and Link. Broomstick didn't look all that narrow from the top, especially after going down the short "Potter" trail a little further down Wizard.

Hopefully next time...
If you were comfortable enough on Potter then broomstick will be ok for you. I have found people are more nervous on broom than Tali or Sorcerer but YMMV

Sent from my SM-N920V using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Heart of Magician can be kinda tough due to double fall line and the way the trail turns into it. Not that steep but requires you to ski differently than usual at times. This with Broomstick is the toughest way down of your listed options.

Talisman is not a hard trail, if you find it tough just take your time it's not overly steep and doesn't have any surprises.

Sorcerer isn't a hard trail either and probably the easiest of the 3 options, it's a little less steep than Talisman.

Any of these trails can be tough under less than ideal conditions though

KustyTheKlown

Talisman

Magic was so fun yesterday. Lots of snirt and rocks but that makes magic fun.

I skied red line like a goddamn champ. Drew some cheers from the chair. Dropped a cliff at the red line/witch intersection and a ~13 year old kid on the lift gave me a "woah dude you're good at skiing" which made me smile

MMP

Broomstick to black line under the chair to bailout to heart of magician to hocus pocus.

The flags are in bad shape man. Bad shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MMP

Heart of Magician can be kinda tough due to double fall line and the way the trail turns into it. Not that steep but requires you to ski differently than usual at times. This with Broomstick is the toughest way down of your listed options.

Talisman is not a hard trail, if you find it tough just take your time it's not overly steep and doesn't have any surprises.

Sorcerer isn't a hard trail either and probably the easiest of the 3 options, it's a little less steep than Talisman.

Any of these trails can be tough under less than ideal conditions though

Tali steeper than sorcerer. Nah.

urungus

Broomstick to black line under the chair to bailout to heart of magician to hocus pocus.

Do you mean "Link" instead of "Bailout" ? I thought "Bailout" came downwards from Talisman, so you couldn't go in the opposite direction, from "Black Line" to "Heart of the Magician" ?

IMG_0708.jpg

dlague

Talisman - depending on how the bumps are on Broomstick then that would be the way to go since it does not have a lot of pitch it is however pretty narrow.

MMP

Do you mean "Link" instead of "Bailout" ? I thought "Bailout" came downwards from Talisman, so you couldn't go in the opposite direction, from "Black Line" to "Heart of the Magician" ?

View attachment 22240

Whatever they're named, take the ones that point downhill. If you're going uphill it's the wrong one.

The flags? Sad.

Last edited:

urungus

Thanks for the advice everybody. Broomstick was closed today (despite what it said on the snow report), so I went down Talisman a couple times. Once I peeked over the initial crest, it wasn't as steep as I had initially feared last week. A little bumpy but not too bad. Wonderful powder field after the second headwall. Second time down I took Bailout over to Heart of the Magician / Lower Magician, which wasn't as steep but there were a couple of tricky "death trenches" (is there skier slang for that) on Bailout. Also it is funny that the Bailout trail comes *after* the most difficult part of Talisman, the second headwall was much easier (and even had an unmoguled part on the left).

Here's the Ski Tracks map, runs 3 & 5

IMG_0714.jpg