• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Colorado Blow Torch

4aprice

Well that was literally the case recently.

So much so that this is now needed. Not "worried" yet, but snow is much needed out there.

Wait. What? Where are you getting your info? Just got back from Colorado and Utah and there is plenty of snow out there. Even with real warm temps at Steamboat our 1st 2 days out there it was great (BTW had to ski the sun since everything was still freezing up at night) We had a good 8" powder day last Thursday at Brighton (my best day of the year) and that moved in to Colorado Thursday night. Drove through Vail Saturday and everything looked just fine and as Dave says the weather showed good action this coming week. Anything above 8000 ft is fine. Trying to finalize another 3 day stint out there to close out the season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

Wait. What? Where are you getting your info? Just got back from Colorado and Utah and there is plenty of snow out there. Even with real warm temps at Steamboat our 1st 2 days out there it was great (BTW had to ski the sun since everything was still freezing up at night) We had a good 8" powder day last Thursday at Brighton (my best day of the year) and that moved in to Colorado Thursday night. Drove through Vail Saturday and everything looked just fine and as Dave says the weather showed good action this coming week. Anything above 8000 ft is fine. Trying to finalize another 3 day stint out there to close out the season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Yup that snow was perfect. In my latest trip report it is clear there is no snow. NOT!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nothing to look at here...only about 14-18" of new snow last week and about 10-12" more today alone. You're better of going golfing. ;)

Winter Park\ Mary Jane was great today. No shortage of snow or powder or moguls

dlague

08e2916ee11cd2a1a4f2e062135b2989.jpg

BenedictGomez

Wait. What? Where are you getting your info?

Ski resort websites and weather pages. Colorado has had very little fresh snow for going on about 3 weeks now, they're basically living on the plentiful leftovers, so lucky for them it's snowed a lot out there this season. The good news is, the next 10'ish days look promising, but they could definitely use a good dump.

snoseek

Ski resort websites and weather pages. Colorado has had very little fresh snow for going on about 3 weeks now, they're basically living on the plentiful leftovers, so lucky for them it's snowed a lot out there this season. The good news is, the next 10'ish days look promising, but they could definitely use a good dump.

My old neighbor sent me some text from Loveland and things are looking mighty fine to me. It looks like good times for Northern Colorado which is good because they've yet to break 300 ytp at Loveland which tells me their season is a bit below average to date.

dlague

Current snow levels are around 130% of normal for Continental Divide but anything 10 miles east of that is way below. Then again there are no ski areas there.

snoseek

Current snow levels are around 130% of normal for Continental Divide but anything 10 miles east of that is way below. Then again there are no ski areas there.

I just go by ytd snow and base at LL as that's my personal point of reference. Things seem pretty much average for them at a 65 inch base....maybe summit is having a banner year idk but 65 inch mid mtn isn't all that deep for the 4th week of March IMO. Then again that's still a good deep natural base and Spring storms will likely get them even deeper

dlague

Ya the 130% is a seasonal accumulation amount. But to put it into perspective at the beginning of February we were at 150% for the time frame - the lack of new snow is showing up in the percentage dropping.

2a7721fd4ef62172f585baf71179fe94.jpg

snoseek

I know they've been doing real good down south so that's gotta play into the statewide average 320 ytd at the Butte is pretty strong for them

jimk

Nothing to look at here...only about 14-18" of new snow last week and about 10-12" more today alone. You're better off going golfing. ;)

Snowbird total snowfall this season as of 3/28/17 is 479", with several months still to go. Only records I had handy for comparison go back only to 2009 season. 479" is more than the full season totals at Snowbird for each year 2009-2016. Source: http://www.onthesnow.com/utah/snowbird/historical-snowfall.html?&y=2017
BTW, I was at Snowbird week of 22 Jan 2017 for the snowiest skiing of my life. Records show the following streak of snow days for that time frame : 20th 5", 21st 17", 22nd 17", 23rd 9", 24th 22", 25th 4", 26th 7", 27th 2"!!! No wonder I didn't see the sun for five days:)
LL

Going back out tomorrow for nine days.

snoseek

Would go straight to Crested Butte. Seems they have a abnormally deep snowpack down there and that place has GOT to be special with a deep base!

skiNEwhere

A high pressure system has been plaguing the state the entire month. Thankfully it's finally moving out, and hopefully we'll get some more snow over the weekend, although right now it looks like it's mostly going to high Southern CO and east of the divide.

Might just have to make a trip to Telluride for closing weekend.