• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fat Lady Thread 2017

Puck it

Same here, from a favorite book of mine.

There are two types of jokes. One sort goes on being funny forever. Other sort is funny ... Use twice, you're a halfwit. Geometrical progression, or worse.

Just saying......
you-sir-are-the-worlds-biggest-asshat.png

xwhaler

I believe Pats Peak is done this Sunday. Hard stop as every yr they host a snowmobile hill climb the 1st wknd in April.

dlague

I am coming to the sad realization that in one month most of Colorado's skiing operations will be shut down due to hard stops. Then we will be left with Loveland into early May and A Basin into June.

The same will apply to the Northeast - but who will make it into May? Killington is onbvious!

bdfreetuna

Surprised to see Telluride closes in 2 weekends... guess I'll be there during the last week. Seems like most seasons they could go way longer if they wanted to.

dlague

Surprised to see Telluride closes in 2 weekends... guess I'll be there during the last week. Seems like most seasons they could go way longer if they wanted to.

They were closed when we arrived in Colorado on April 9th last spring. Imagine - northeastern skier moving to Colorado in April to find out that almost all the ski areas are closed by mid April and almost everything was still 100% open on the last days.

Jully

I am coming to the sad realization that in one month most of Colorado's skiing operations will be shut down due to hard stops. Then we will be left with Loveland into early May and A Basin into June.

The same will apply to the Northeast - but who will make it into May? Killington is onbvious!

Barring a killer April SL and I'd have to think SR too should make early may.

gnardawg

Is the cost to high to continue to operate vs. the revenue collection. I guess it's safe to say it's probably pass holders only skiing past their hard April close dates?

They were closed when we arrived in Colorado on April 9th last spring. Imagine - northeastern skier moving to Colorado in April to find out that almost all the ski areas are closed by mid April and almost everything was still 100% open on the last days.

Jcb890

Is the cost to high to continue to operate vs. the revenue collection. I guess it's safe to say it's probably pass holders only skiing past their hard April close dates?
Not sure if Colorado is this way (I'm guessing it is), but other locations are forced to close on certain dates because they are federally owned parks or land. I know Jackson Hole is this way and closes with 100% of terrain open almost every season. Their end date is April 9th and is set by the government.

dlague

Not pass holders only - it is a hard close! After April 16 it will be a ghost town on I-70. They blame the closing date on migratory patterns. However, at Breck this past weekend and the South and North Gondola parking lots were really empty at 9:30. Generally pretty full at that time. I think that the local pass holder business does not keep the lights on and as a result shut down mid April. Staying open late into May has no real marketing value for them.

Loveland and A Basin being closer to Denver, have made a market for themselves and it works!