• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fat Lady Thread 2017

skimagic

Looking at the forecast for the week, unfortunately i'm thinking a few "stealth" closings (today being the closing day when they're hoping it will be next weekend) will be happening, especially if next weekend's weather ends up being stormy of the liquid variety as long range forecasts are hinting at now....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Bousquet decided not to play that game and packed it up today.

chuckstah

They are not always the best with updating their report but it looked like the snowmaking trails on Holt's are open (3-4 routes maybe). Not sure where else your considering but aside from the visibility at the top Cannon had good surface conditions today.
Thanks. I can never figure out the Skiways website. It contradicts itself from page to page. Ended up at Magic.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

Burke is going midweek until March 31 and then weekends until a closing date of April 16th.

octopus

pats peak closed today with what looked like full coverage to me. my first time there, better than i expected, mellow, fun peak. lots of families(and milf's).

Quietman

Crotched skied very nicely today. Groomers were soft, but I keep skiing through the woods to get to the 2-3" of powder on Jupiters(never ducked the rope at the top) and then hit Solstice Glade(the real one), sometimes with an early exit as the bottom was a little rough. My tracks were the only ones that I saw in there all day. I hope they open next weekend, and that Saturdays predicted rain goes elsewhere.

xwhaler

Crotched skied very nicely today. Groomers were soft, but I keep skiing through the woods to get to the 2-3" of powder on Jupiters(never ducked the rope at the top) and then hit Solstice Glade(the real one), sometimes with an early exit as the bottom was a little rough. My tracks were the only ones that I saw in there all day. I hope they open next weekend, and that Saturdays predicted rain goes elsewhere.
Well done Mark. I can imagine Jupiter's was quite good this AM. I didn't wanna take my son down it yesterday but everything else skied awesome. Once I told him the woods weren't open we practiced race starts by the lower shack on Meteor. Pretty cool explaining how Dad races there and all that to a 4yo!

I hope to be there next Sunday with my son if you are around.

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

From skinh.com

Projected closing dates are listed below, however they are dependent on the weather, please call ahead for current hours.

Alpine Areas
Abenaki Ski Area - April 9th
Black Mountain - April 2nd
Bretton Woods - April 17th
Cannon Mountain - April 16th
Cranmore Mountain Resort - March 26th
Dartmouth Skiway - March 26th
Granite Gorge - March 21st
Gunstock Mountain Resort - April 2nd
King Pine - March 26th
Loon Mountain Resort - April 16th
McIntyre Ski Area - March 26th
Mount Sunapee Resort - April 2nd
Pats Peak - March 26th
Ragged Mountain Resort - April 2nd
Waterville Valley Resort - April 2nd
Whaleback Mountain - March 18th

Smellytele

pats peak closed today with what looked like full coverage to me. my first time there, better than i expected, mellow, fun peak. lots of families(and milf's).

With the racers there it was the racers moms that were the Milf's. I was noticing them as well from above while on the Vortex lift. Also some were out skiing alone while waiting for their kids to race.
Too bad it was their last day. They almost stayed open a few more days but with this rain they decided to pack it in with the Snowmobile hill climb next weekend. I should be able to get some good skins up over the next few weeks in the late afternoons.

drjeff

With the racers there it was the racers moms that were the Milf's. I was noticing them as well from above while on the Vortex lift. Also some were out skiing alone while waiting for their kids to race.
Too bad it was their last day. They almost stayed open a few more days but with this rain they decided to pack it in with the Snowmobile hill climb next weekend. I should be able to get some good skins up over the next few weeks in the late afternoons.

I almost fell off my chair laughing at this ST!!!

As a parent fully involved in the youth racing lifestyle, the level of "fashion show competition" that goes on around the bottom of race courses by some is both "entertaining" and comical at the same time!

While not a enjoyable to look at as the racer Mom fashion show that does happen, the racer Dad finish area competition tends to involve conversation about who's boots are the stiffest, who just got the latest crazy $150 base grind pattern, and who either just got back from Jackson Hole and/or who is flying out to Jackson that next week to go on some crazy 4+ hour skin to get to some "epic" back country line.... :rolleyes:

When it comes to talking about who the parent's are there watching, their own kids, the race area finish conversation rarely strays from more than just "Oh your kid skied really well today" (regardless of if they won or came in last) or if their kid didn't finish the race then the conversation is more like "that was a really tough gate that your kid crashed on. They were skiing awesome up until then..." even if it was the easiest gate on the course!

My "favorite" racer parents though, are the Dad's (and I've yet to see a racer Mom do this) that show up to the finish area with their slalom face guard bumpers on their helmets, and they're wearing a GS suit under their training shorts, still trying to live out their ski racing dreams from that one time, 20+ years ago, when they finished 53rd in the New Jersey high school ski championships!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Smellytele

As a parent fully involved in the youth racing lifestyle, the level of "fashion show competition" that goes on around the bottom of race courses by some is both "entertaining" and comical at the same time!

While not a enjoyable to look at as the racer Mom fashion show that does happen, the racer Dad finish area competition tends to involve conversation about who's boots are the stiffest, who just got the latest crazy $150 base grind pattern, and who either just got back from Jackson Hole and/or who is flying out to Jackson that next week to go on some crazy 4+ hour skin to get to some "epic" back country line.... :rolleyes:

When it comes to talking about who the parent's are there watching, their own kids, the race area finish conversation rarely strays from more than just "Oh your kid skied really well today" (regardless of if they won or came in last) or if their kid didn't finish the race then the conversation is more like "that was a really tough gate that your kid crashed on. They were skiing awesome up until then..." even if it was the easiest gate on the course!

My "favorite" racer parents though, are the Dad's (and I've yet to see a racer Mom do this) that show up to the finish area with their slalom face guard bumpers on their helmets, and they're wearing a GS suit under their training shorts, still trying to live out their ski racing dreams from that one time, 20+ years ago, when they finished 53rd in the New Jersey high school ski championships!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking of fashion at the race. Saw what must have been a grandma in a full length fur coat with a fur hat and a long ermine scarf walking up to the finish with a cane.

VTKilarney

Speaking of fashion at the race. Saw what must have been a grandma in a full length fur coat with a fur hat and a long ermine scarf walking up to the finish with a cane.
I'm willing to bet that this grandma is paying for a lot of her grandson's expensive hobby.

Frankly, the whole ski race culture annoys the sh*t out of me. As with most youth activities, parents ruin it. Youth competition should be first and foremost about having fun.

yeggous

I'm willing to bet that this grandma is paying for a lot of her grandson's expensive hobby.

Frankly, the whole ski race culture annoys the sh*t out of me. As with most youth activities, parents ruin it. Youth competition should be first and foremost about having fun.

Depends where you ski. I overheard some regulars at the Cat this weekend discussing how their kids are going to miss all the practices for their spring sports in April while the mountain is still open. Because, you know, priorities.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
Depends where you ski. I overheard some regulars at the Cat this weekend discussing how their kids are going to miss all the practices for their spring sports in April while the mountain is still open. Because, you know, priorities.

Hope those kids and parents are OK with sitting on the bench for most of the season because that is what's going to happen.

Scruffy

Too funny.

octopus

i was thinking about breaking out the splitboard and doing some runs there. i'm new to pats, what would you suggest for up and down routes? and do they care if you're out there?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Very proud of Thunder Ridge making it to the 26th. Things looked pretty grim late February/early March. A late season snowmaking push and the blizzard really helped them out.

Very proud of Mohawk as well. April 2 closing...that's unheard of for them. I've never heard of them being open into April, even in the good years. $7 lift tickets though...historically closing day has been free. Days of old I guess.

SnoDevil97

Pat's always closes on a certain date, period, then a snowmobile event the next weekend. Seems like a waste to me - but from most accounts that place is a money-making machine, so who am I to question how they run it.

And yes the MILF factor there is always quite high.