• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fat Lady Thread 2017

icedtea

I would call my wife a casual skier and she does not like Killington at all. She will ski it early season (well Thanksgiving through mid December) but never after that. I on the hand ski it when it is the only game in town because I have no other options except maybe Sunday River early season but the distance to SR for limited skiing isn't worth it to me.
I don't really want to get into their clientele (but I guess I am) but that is the reason neither of us like it. No it isn't all of them, not even most but some.

Come out this weekend, everyone is friendly at the mountain and there to have a good time with some last lift service turns.

BBQs will be fired up and lots of cold beer. No better way to celebrate!

You can get clowns anywhere but those people are most likely at the beach this weekend and not up in VT.

dlague

Damn.No fat lady still at A-basin.What a beautifull day.
Are you out here? We are planning of hitting A Basin on Sunday. Lots of terrain still open. They shut down Zuma Bowl with lots of snow there though. Pali still open however. They are starting to reign things in but still looks like winter.

This is A Basin from their Web Cam on Tuesday the 23rd off May.

146819c172ab60701104f06ecc72a9d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

chuckstah

Superstar will be groomed tonight per the daily report. It will probably be the last day of continuous snow, so I guess an 8 am arrival is in order. I still hope they open June 1 for patch skiing, but only time will tell.

Zand

If you're on the fence come on up. Top 1/3 of the headwall sucks but the rest is terrific. Walk to and from the lift is very short.

Zand

Yep just got word Thursday is a go. Hoping to make it through the weekend. Looking at the forecast I don't think they'll have too much trouble. Still 15' deep in last year's trouble area down low. Maybe walking the headwall but the rest will be good.

machski

Based on what?

I've never heard of any limit and Snowshed pond is never dry. The source is Woodward reservoir, and it's sizeable.
I was not referring to K, I was referring to other Vermont resorts. I believe most have boosted above any previous water limit. Mount Snow will be way ahead next year with West Lake coming online.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Zand

IMG_20170527_135229146.jpg

Took this pic near the bottom. Wasn't even all the way down to the ground. Depth is about 15 feet on the final pitch on the left side.

chuckstah

Will they just open Thursday or Friday into the weekend also?

From what I heard today, they'll try to go til Saturday(or Sunday even?) But if you want lift served June turns, plan on being sick on Thursday. Anything after that will be bonus time, and even June 1 is no layup. There will be snow patches to ski next weekend, but lift service? We can only hope.

Zand

Killington will be closed tomorrow due to weather. I guess that means there's a slight chance today was it but I'm pretty sure they have enough to survive the rain.

JimG.

Staff member
Killington will be closed tomorrow due to weather. I guess that means there's a slight chance today was it but I'm pretty sure they have enough to survive the rain.

A snow preservation tactic designed to ensure they can justify 6/1 lift served.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
From what I heard today, they'll try to go til Saturday(or Sunday even?) But if you want lift served June turns, plan on being sick on Thursday. Anything after that will be bonus time, and even June 1 is no layup. There will be snow patches to ski next weekend, but lift service? We can only hope.

Yep, that is my plan...rain or shine, I'll at K on Thursday (anti-jinx regarding wildlife). If they open on Friday, I might still be around and get my June 2 turns also.