• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fat Lady Thread 2017

icedtea

dfa5dbc6e3cc2b98ce86ab3043018394.jpg

6f27817fdf8511a4cb057ea1b7383390.jpg

112b9b9c917a090c52954cb40da64688.jpg

0a55ac2761c621b8ec7a7a0d75d73323.jpg

Let's keep the groomers off as much as possible !!

Rowsdower

Just out of curiosity, but why is it that Killington is the mountain that pushes for the longest season? Seems that other mountains have better geographic location, exposure, and elevation to extend their seasons. Why is it nobody else tries? Money? Lack of interest? I'd think Stowe, Jay or Sugarloaf could offer lift-accessed skiing into late-May/early-June if they tried. I've heard of people skiing patches at Stowe into June anyway.

dlague

Yup, just looked at the webcam and its running now. It also looks like they groomed a bunch over near the "S turn", I assume that's because they had to move snow around. It was looking thin when I checked out the webcam on Tuesday I think it was.

More than likely wanted to move it before it got too wet from the rain since it looks like today and tomorrow will be wet.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just out of curiosity, but why is it that Killington is the mountain that pushes for the longest season? Seems that other mountains have better geographic location, exposure, and elevation to extend their seasons. Why is it nobody else tries? Money? Lack of interest? I'd think Stowe, Jay or Sugarloaf could offer lift-accessed skiing into late-May/early-June if they tried. I've heard of people skiing patches at Stowe into June anyway.

Best set up within striking distance of both Boston and Manhattan markets. The more northern areas could probably go a lot deeper with less snow, especially Sugarloaf, but they're just too far from population centers.

Jully

Best set up within striking distance of both Boston and Manhattan markets. The more northern areas could probably go a lot deeper with less snow, especially Sugarloaf, but they're just too far from population centers.

Exactly. K also has the reputation going back decades now. Even if something closer to NYC or Boston went late, it would be tough to pull from K I suspect. It is pretty perfectly located to grab from both city markets but is still far enough north to handle the weather a little better than a Mt.Snow or Stratton.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Elevation advantage of the southern VT ski areas too. Superstar base is 2500 feet. No need to upload or download to access it. Great bar at the bottom. Tailgating slope side with a view of the trail. It's got the total package. Even places that could go deeper like Sugarloaf, lack the entire package.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com

Bingo... and great snowmaking. Artificial snow is also more durable (Jay doesn't or need to blow as much fake snow). There is also the one lift access to snow that makes it a great setup. I personally prefer the one Killington Peak double with a mid station as the perfect setup for early and late season turns, but there wasn't the party tailgate atmosphere back in those days compared to the Superstar setup.

It is also the same here with St-Sauveur, one of the closest to Montreal, but Tremblant or Mont Ste-Anne near Quebec City could definitely challenge them for longest season if the will and the economics were there.

benski

I heard also that kilington's water permit either allows significantly larger withdraws or more gallons per minuet than any other ski area in Vermont could even apply for. I think they were grandfathered in or something.

WWF-VT

Killington has a greater tolerance for losing money early/late season and it keeps their season pass holders happy.

eatskisleep

In addition to what everyone else said, Killington has a great trail for it. Superstar is awesome, perfect pitch for spring bumps. The steep head wall, then nice relaxing mid section, then steep finish before the lift and the Perfect spot to show off for the bar and day-drinkers in Adirondack chairs. Not super far from Boston either. Jay would be awesome if it wasn't 5 hours away.

Also I don't think they lose money with late season, they only operate one lift, patrol is probably volunteered, and they literally only have a grille opened for food. Every weekend is a good crowd!

cdskier

Also I don't think they lose money with late season, they only operate one lift, patrol is probably volunteered, and they literally only have a grille opened for food. Every weekend is a good crowd!

Even if the actual costs per day of operating are less than the revenue brought in from food/beverage, is it still enough to offset the extra snow-making costs to build that depth of snow? Of course on the flip side the fact of being open so late and having the reputation for longest season certainly has marketing value.

Even though I've never had a chance to take advantage of it, I still think it is great that they try to go as long as possible whether or not they are losing money or profiting. I'd probably suspect overall it is somewhat revenue neutral when you consider all the tangible and intangible costs and benefits.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

It's Killington. For every 1 hardcore skier that bashes it there's 99 others that love it. For the tourist/casual skier, Killington is the ultimate on the East Coast. They were one step ahead on everything on the East Coast from the opening of the Gondola in 1968 up through the beginning-of-the-end of the ASC days.

No other mountain has the dedication of it's passholders and a universal love from tourists and diehards. Thus there's still a pretty good customer base in October and May. You couldn't replicate that anywhere on the East Coast, imo.

machski

I heard also that kilington's water permit either allows significantly larger withdraws or more gallons per minuet than any other ski area in Vermont could even apply for. I think they were grandfathered in or something.
May have been at one time but I don't think this is the case anymore.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

spiderpig

Speaking of Stowe

mister moose

May have been at one time but I don't think this is the case anymore.
Based on what?

I've never heard of any limit and Snowshed pond is never dry. The source is Woodward reservoir, and it's sizeable.

Smellytele

It's Killington. For every 1 hardcore skier that bashes it there's 99 others that love it. For the tourist/casual skier, Killington is the ultimate on the East Coast. They were one step ahead on everything on the East Coast from the opening of the Gondola in 1968 up through the beginning-of-the-end of the ASC days.

No other mountain has the dedication of it's passholders and a universal love from tourists and diehards. Thus there's still a pretty good customer base in October and May. You couldn't replicate that anywhere on the East Coast, imo.

I would call my wife a casual skier and she does not like Killington at all. She will ski it early season (well Thanksgiving through mid December) but never after that. I on the hand ski it when it is the only game in town because I have no other options except maybe Sunday River early season but the distance to SR for limited skiing isn't worth it to me.
I don't really want to get into their clientele (but I guess I am) but that is the reason neither of us like it. No it isn't all of them, not even most but some.