• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fat Lady Thread 2017

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
I expect them to open next weekend. Will they make it through the entire weekend? Who knows?

They are still openly talking of a June target, temps should cool off for this weekend and the following week. Planning to be at the Canadian Passport Office tomorrow, my passport is expiring on Monday. I think I'll have to ask for express delivery.

Here's my latest update:

May turns to V: Victoria and Very Hot – Eastern Closing Thread 2017 – Part 8
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/201...-very-hot-eastern-closing-thread-2017-part-8/

cdskier

Pushing snow into the load/unload areas is a waste of good snow and it would just melt quickly in those areas. Leaving it on the trail itself is a much better idea if that's what it takes to keep it open as long as possible. A little walking to load/unload isn't a big deal. I've done it before at another ski area. From the cam it still looked quite deep earlier. We're two weeks away from June...I don't think it is out of the question as long as things cool back down to normal and we don't get another major heatwave like we had the past couple days.

benski

Pushing snow into the load/unload areas is a waste of good snow and it would just melt quickly in those areas. Leaving it on the trail itself is a much better idea if that's what it takes to keep it open as long as possible. A little walking to load/unload isn't a big deal. I've done it before at another ski area. From the cam it still looked quite deep earlier. We're two weeks away from June...I don't think it is out of the question as long as things cool back down to normal and we don't get another major heatwave like we had the past couple days.

The load and unload area are carpeted, so you don't need snow there but I don't know how large the carpet is.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
K management has said they will not run the lift if there's a lot of walking. On/off the lift is normal. But if there's multiple breaks in the trail on the way down they won't do it. People wanted them to run the lift June 1 a couple years ago, they said they wouldn't do it because it wasn't continuous skiing.

After Monday we'll know if June 1 is possible. Depends on how bad that damage is.

chuckstah

K management has said they will not run the lift if there's a lot of walking. On/off the lift is normal. But if there's multiple breaks in the trail on the way down they won't do it. People wanted them to run the lift June 1 a couple years ago, they said they wouldn't do it because it wasn't continuous skiing.

After Monday we'll know if June 1 is possible. Depends on how bad that damage is.
Closing day last year was as much dirt/walking as snow. Actually more. So that no longer applies.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Closing day last year was as much dirt/walking as snow. Actually more. So that no longer applies.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

From what I read/saw on closing day last year they had moved snow over the S but it was all gone by noon and people had to hike down the whole bottom headwall. They tried though.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They are toast! More than likely will not open next weekend.
Dave,

It's posts like this one that really annoy people. It's not so much the Debbie Downer nature of it, but it's almost as if you are actively rooting for negative outcomes in the East. You've done it All. Season. Long. whenever things look unfavorable from 2000 miles away. Basically the appearance is trolling.

I know you've expressed​ that's not your intent, but it sure comes across that way.

Such comments are a far departure from when you lived and skied here and were always positive thinking about the New England ski scene.

What gives?

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

No they said no grooming this weekend. So we shall see what's left come Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Woops! Read the report wrong. I support the decision as others have said. Walking on or off the lift is no prob

JDMRoma

Woops! Read the report wrong. I support the decision as others have said. Walking on or off the lift is no prob

Carrying your gear on the lift ?? How the hell are you going to be able to have a beer and relax on the lift ?? 😂

JDMRoma

Dave,

It's posts like this one that really annoy people. It's not so much the Debbie Downer nature of it, but it's almost as if you are actively rooting for negative outcomes in the East. You've done it All. Season. Long. whenever things look unfavorable from 2000 miles away. Basically the appearance is trolling.

I know you've expressed​ that's not your intent, but it sure comes across that way.

Such comments are a far departure from when you lived and skied here and were always positive thinking about the New England ski scene.

What gives?

Exactly !! It's like there's 2 Daves !
The Dave we know and love and then there's Douchey Dave who reports on our conditions 2000 miles away

Jully

Carrying your gear on the lift ?? How the hell are you going to be able to have a beer and relax on the lift ?? ��

You have about half a hand free. Or drink it while skiing on the way down!

snoseek

Wouldn't Superstar make some nice easy access patch skiing without the lift. It's maybe not worth driving several hours but I would think you could pull your car right up to the bottom, load up some beers, hike up to a good patch of snow and just lap it all day.

To me that sounds like a nice mellow day. Do you really need the lift at this point?

Jcb890

I think I'll still head up tomorrow. The one positive to no grooming is that I don't need to wake up at 3:45 AM to get 1st chair. I'll probably shoot to get on the road by 7 AM and on the mountain by 10:30 AM or so.

I suppose I could use plenty of work on my mogul riding anyways! Haha

dlague

Dave,

What gives?

I have skied Killington every spring to the end and I know the pattern. I am just calling it as I have experienced it. Because I am in Colorado should not make a difference. I am not talking smack. Once they get to walk on walk off they generally do not make it much further that is fact. Do I want them to hit June 1st absolutely I am a Killington fan. I think it would be cool.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Puck it

I have skied Killington every spring to the end and I know the pattern. I am just calling it as I have experienced it. Because I am in Colorado should not make a difference. I am not talking smack. Once they get to walk on walk off they generally do not make it much further that is fact. Do I want them to hit June 1st absolutely I am a Killington fan. I think it would be cool.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

The snow depth right now is deeper than I have ever seen at this time over the whole length of the run.