• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fat Lady Thread 2017

Savemeasammy

Did they close before Whaleback? Sat was their (wb) last day.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

MRG was the first to close but they got to reopen.

They never really fully closed. They suspended midweek operations but were still open with the practice slope on the weekends. There may have been one weekend day here and there that they made a decision to close due to weather that particular day (i.e. to let the mountain drain out)

Domeskier

I heard that Colorado will be closing soon, too. Because of the blowtorch.

bdfreetuna

They never really fully closed. They suspended midweek operations but were still open with the practice slope on the weekends. There may have been one weekend day here and there that they made a decision to close due to weather that particular day (i.e. to let the mountain drain out)

I believe they were closed on February 26th (Sunday) for the purposes of nitpicking ;)

Maybe they did run a rope tow but from what I remember it was pretty much a fat lady situation with a long shot hope for some more snow at the time. Was there on the 25th and it was down to bones, mostly bare mountain.

Last edited:

dlague

Same here, from a favorite book of mine.

There are two types of jokes. One sort goes on being funny forever. Other sort is funny ... Use twice, you're a halfwit. Geometrical progression, or worse.

Just saying......

it must get tiring!

cdskier

I believe they were closed on February 26th (Sunday) for the purposes of nitpicking ;)

Maybe they did run a rope tow but from what I remember it was pretty much a fat lady situation with a long shot hope for some more snow at the time. Was there on the 25th and it was down to bones, mostly bare mountain.

The 26th was like I said they did for a day or two here and there on the weekend...closed due to weather/conditions that day. The 25th was warm, then it rained, then temps dropped like a rock. I was at Sugarbush but even with a season pass opted to skip skiing the 26th and just head home that morning instead. They reopened the following weekend with the practice slope from what I remember. Open is open no matter how little they had open in my book. ;-)

jimmywilson69

Two of the central PA resorts Liberty and Whitetail didn't make it to March. I didn't want to start this thread then. My home Hill, and on the same pass as the other two, is still going strong. They made snow twice in March for the first time ever and will easily make it to this weekend. I believe Sunday will be operating Day 100 for Roundtop.

skinavy

RT has rocked it this year-
- staying open and blowing snow in Southern PA through March!
- they opened the park and 1 trail for Thanksgiving weekend- a treat, despite knowing they would need to close after a couple of days.
- I had been skeptical about the winchcat on Gunbarrel, but definitely an improvement to be able to hop in and out when the bumps become vertical-walled tanktraps.

I have come to really like the vibe and trail layout there versus the other 2 hills.

jimmywilson69

@skinavy I agree the winchcat has made both Gunbarrel and Ramrod ski much better. I also agree on trail layout. Liberty has 4 routes worth skiing I get bored there quickly. Whitetail has some nice longer expert trails and much more vertical than Liberty or Roundtop. The intermediates ski exactly the same, which is borng. Plus the crowds down there are miserable on the weekends. I haven't been back in 2 years because its 1.5 hours away and I only got 11 runs in hours. No thanks...

@jaytrem I don't know about the weekend of 4/2. Snow is melting fast right now. It'll depend on this next rain storm that is coming Sunday. If they open I suspect it will be for the weekend only. I bet this week is the end of daily operations. My 40th birthday is 3/31. I would love to get birthday turns at RT for the first time since 2003. They were open that long that year because of the big presidents day storm and a cool mark. Skiing was free because that was the longest they've ever been open.