• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre/Plattekill - 3/18-19/2017

Rowsdower

If you wanted the goods in the Catskills then last weekend was the time to get em'.

Started out Saturday at Belleayre to get a hike in to Cathedral Brook which rode amazingly well. Soft bumped packed pow on the upper half and thigh deep powder on the lower half. Only looked like half a dozen or so people skied all the way down, so there was a lot of powder to be had. Rode all the way down and hiked back up to Super Chief. Checked out the glades around Tongora and the Belleayre Glades which were more fun and in better shape than the high pitch trees. Really most of the steeps seemed to be getting skied off and by then it was snowing pretty heavily, so we packed up and grabbed pizza in Woodstock. The other half spent the day on the lower mountain and is probably good enough to tackle things top to bottom, we just got to get her on the lift :)

20170318_142850_1489958439354.jpg

Sunday we woke up to sun and six inches of fresh snow on the way up to Platty. Lines were uncharacteristically long and they were parking cars all the way down the access road. Nuts. People really were getting after it. The conditions were about all you could ask for during a roller coaster year like this: deep enough base to fill in just about anything and some powder on top to soften everything up. Run of the day was Cliffs and Bridge Drop. Blockbuster was nice and soft as well. After noon it started to warm up. Turned in for a beer in the lodge to cap off a perfect day.

Last edited:

Cornhead

Sweet, nice soundtrack, no hucking for this fat old man, but it was amazing for the first couple hours before the strong March sun manked things up.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

tnt1234

Great report!

Cliffs was ROTD for us on Saturday as well.. Twist>something something>Cliffs....

Woods were tough on Saturday, but I saw some boarders able to kind of plane over the crud down a couple of lines I hadn't seen before, so already looking forward to getting back there next year to try them!

Great place.

Rowsdower

Great report!

Cliffs was ROTD for us on Saturday as well.. Twist>something something>Cliffs....

Woods were tough on Saturday, but I saw some boarders able to kind of plane over the crud down a couple of lines I hadn't seen before, so already looking forward to getting back there next year to try them!

Great place.

There were a lot of lines into the woods that looked fun that I'll need to try next year. Also a couple of lines that looked like they'd need more snow.

Plattekill is an adventure. I come up wanting to hit a couple of things and I leave with ten more things to do when I come back.

rocks860

I went to platty last year or the year before, unfortunately it had iced up so the woods weren't in play but it definitely was interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk