• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Sunapee 2-17-07

Goblin84

Date(s) Skied: 2/17/07 8:30-3:30

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Sunapee

Conditions: Packed powder and lots crud

Trip Report:
Wow! What a great day of skiing!! I was very worried about the crowds being a Holiday weekend but they were pretty much a non factor if you were smart. The summit quad was packed for most of the day so we did most of our skiing on the sunbowl lift and waiting maybe 4 mins max.

Sticking mostly to Sunbowl early on, we did one run through the glades and they were horrible, windblown and thin cover. After crying from seeing the gouges I put in my ski's I decided to stick to the trails. All the trails had a great cover on them. Hawks hideout had a great set of bumps running the length of it, some teams were training on them which is always fun to watch. One fella was trying a backflip, never actually landed it from what I saw. We did one run down porky's and it wasnt so hot, ice, windblown, everything bad. Needless to say we didnt ski it again.

We jumped over to the base tripple chair later in the day which was great. A NASTAR course was set up on eggbeater but I didnt get a chance to hit the gates (which im still upset about). So we decided to race a bit on our own. We did a few fast runs down Lynx. The trail was clear (no one on the mtn at this point) so we didnt really have to worry about joeys everywhere. the trail wasnt groomed but had great cover. We had 4 "last runs" down this trail to end the day. We simply got to the bottom and someone would say "so guys...one more?" and up we went.

All around was my best day out this season. I was VERY worried about crowds but it wasnt bad at all. It wasnt a good week for Sunapee on these boards last week, a lot of poeple said the mtn just gets way way to crowded but that wasnt the case for us!

jack97

I was VERY worried about crowds but it wasnt bad at all. It wasnt a good week for Sunapee on these boards last week, a lot of poeple said the mtn just gets way way to crowded but that wasnt the case for us!

I went there last pres week and thought the lines and the crowds was not bad, had to stay in the bowl and trails service by the triple. Any trails service by the quad was crowded and filled with noobs and intermediates taking long unpredictable turns, like running through a moving obstacle course. The other secret is to buy lunch at the summit lodge, fewer crowds but they take only cash.

The way you did laps is the way I do it; bowl first, it provides wind cover to offset the morning chill, then the triple by mid morning/noon till last run.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If you ski the Sun Bowl and the North Lync Triple, you dodge most of the crowds. Last season I was amazed at how many people ONLY skied the HSQ and nothing else.

Goblin84

yeah, it really amazes me how few people head over to sunbowl or the triple. I am actually still confused why more dont head over to those lifts, not complaining...but just scratching my head.

hammer

yeah, it really amazes me how few people head over to sunbowl or the triple. I am actually still confused why more dont head over to those lifts, not complaining...but just scratching my head.
I think that most people don't go to the triple because of the impression that it services just black trails (which have good pitch but aren't incredibly steep or difficult for solid intermediates). I also think that they avoid both lifts because they are slower than the HSQ.

Whatever the reasons are, I don't mind...just leaves more space for me.:cool:

cdc28p

I went to Sunapee on Sunday, 1/18, and saw the same thing: horrendous lines on the Express while the North Peak Triple and the Sunbowl quad weren't so bad, except for around 11 a.m. or so. It was my best day of the season too, although I've skiied only 4 times so far this season. :-(

Lynx was awesome. My nephew, who had previously skiied only 4 times in his life, managed Lynx well. It was his first black diamond and he was pretty excited.

Over lunch I met this middle-aged guy at the Sunapee Lodge who kept complaining about how bad the service was, how he couldn't find a table to eat at. Duh! What was he expecting skiing on a holiday weekend? I have never met a Sunapee employee who was not friendly.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The glades were open?! I heard last season that they had not been open for over two years. IIRC they are quite exposed and not really worth it.