• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Etiquette questions

oldtimer

Two points w/r/t using a race course that seems to be un attended--
1) herein lies the rub w/r/t trail closures etc. Resorts and race hill managers are caught between leaving terrain available when a race venue doesn't need the full trail & trying to be safe w/r/t the interactions between the racers and the general public. There many in the coaching ski patrol ranks who would like to simply close all trails that have training on them on any given day. As someone who manages this, I can assure you that this is not popular, especially when terrain is limited. All those who get on their soap boxes about the spoiled racers etc scream bloody murder to mtn ops when a trail is closed and doesn't appear to be being used.
2) I would urge EXTREME caution at areas that are designated as US ski team training sites (Cannon, Burke, Copper, Park City etc). Often a course is set for many hours and it appears that there is no one using it. In fact, it may be up for 1/2 a day and only 4-5 athletes are using it, sometimes warming up and watching video between runs. You can jump in 3 times w/o difficulty. And then on that 4th fun run there is a 225 lb missile coming over a knoll that doesn't see you and it gets ugly real fast. With a run taking 50 to 60 seconds it often happens that we start an athlete and someone wanders into a course 20 seconds after we have cleared the athlete to start. These athletes have one or 2 coaches with them and there is NO WAY to adequately position coaches all along the track. SO, do we close the trail for 1/2 a day for 4 athletes? (sure to piss off many) or trust that the general public knows they are in a dangerous spot? (known to be false in some cases) -- we try, very hard, to satisfy everyone.

My suggestions--
1) if there is anyone around- ask. you will be surprised at who often we say "sure"

2) no one around- if you must run them, ONLY from the top- DO NOT jump in.

3) try adult team racing, find a clinic etc- it is fun.

VTKilarney

It seems to me that a simple "Course Closed" sign at the entrance would work well if an unattended course should not be skied on.

oldtimer

I wish it did- people ski past "race in progress" and "course closed" signs w/o a look. They do stop at roped off trails, but as I said above, that is a hard choice.

It seems to me that a simple "Course Closed" sign at the entrance would work well if an unattended course should not be skied on.

Jully

The issue with that is the number of people who enter a course midway through.

At SR for example, people rarely will see the entrance of the course and only run into it halfway down. If you're up top and no one is there and its been empty for awhile then its likely fine.

machski

The issue with that is the number of people who enter a course midway through.

At SR for example, people rarely will see the entrance of the course and only run into it halfway down. If you're up top and no one is there and its been empty for awhile then its likely fine.
If you refer to MM from Over Easy, sounds like this may no longer be a problem starting as early as next season. The racer T-Bar is a go on MM and Over Easy will be permanently closed to meet lift codes.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

You don't necessarily need to wait until you get to the bottom of the course. You are entitled to leave your skis wherever you please. Embrace the race culture!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Ride up the lift with an extra pair. Leave your skis in the middle of the course. They leave em in your way so you can leave em in their way.

Smellytele

I have been at some ski areas where they have gates setup on one side of the trail and have a sign saying the trail is open but training in progress. Then as you are skiing down they have set the gates up where they switch sides cutting across the middle. Stupid in my opinion to have the trail open where you have no choice but to cut across the course.

djd66

And then on that 4th fun run there is a 225 lb missile coming over a knoll that doesn't see you and it gets ugly real fast.

Old Timer - if there is a 225 lb missile coming down any trail that is open to the public - there should be a spotter to make sure the course is clear. #2 of the SRC - People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them. Just sayin.

Puck it

What if you have to take a poo. Is it ok to poo in the woods off the glades? Just asking.

Jully

If you refer to MM from Over Easy, sounds like this may no longer be a problem starting as early as next season. The racer T-Bar is a go on MM and Over Easy will be permanently closed to meet lift codes.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

I saw that on the SR forum! Sounds like it could be a win-win for everyone.

Domeskier

If you see a group of people with patches on their knees standing at the top of a zipper line, just cut into the bumps a little further down the line - those guys are just working up the courage to drop in. Extra points if you slowly wedge your way down and pop out of your bindings a couple times. Shows them that even beginners can handle the bumps.

ironhippy

2) If you are not going to use a terrain park feature, is it OK to go diagonally off its ramp to catch some air?

If you are going to do this, ensure that no one is going to be in your landing zone (just look uphill), park users may not expect you to jump off the side and may be planning on being in your landing zone.

Bottom line: pay attention to your surroundings and you should be ok

Tin

It's okay to poo in woods only if it's not on a marked glade trail! And then it's always courteous to bury said fecal matter!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

As an individual living with Crohn's disease I am triggered by your insensitivity. We do not always have the option of using off the map terrain to poo as urgency is a problem. I once went in the middle flat section of Superstar during a busy February Vacation weekend. Another time I had no choice but to drop them and go in the middle of the mogul field on Gunbarrel at Sundown. Have some compassion for those living with disabilities.

Cornhead

As an individual living with Crohn's disease I am triggered by your insensitivity. We do not always have the option of using off the map terrain to poo as urgency is a problem. I once went in the middle flat section of Superstar during a busy February Vacation weekend. Another time I had no choice but to drop them and go in the middle of the mogul field on Gunbarrel at Sundown. Have some compassion for those living with disabilities.
1d6306a7d38ebc355893ef834bcaf8ff.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app