• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crested Butte March 24-28, 2017

nkLottery

Just wanted to share some pics from Crested Butte March 24-28. My friend is a lifty out there and took some time off to host us and ski for 5 days. First four days were variable ice/slush/cream but the last day was a nice 7" of fluff on ice/slush that made everything feel fresh by east coast standards. Got a lot of shit from locals for my enthusiasm for the skiing out there since the snow was terrible by their standards. I really enjoyed the terrain out there. It's well lift serviced, requires a little bit of hiking if you're cool with putting in the work. Cliffy if you want it, steep if you want it, some nice steep tree runs in there too. Tons of fun

If you haven't considered it, or just haven't been there before, Crested Butte is the Real Deal. Very extreme terrain, a nice small town, easily navigable, not too busy, lots of good food, good free bus system.

IMG_20170325_141354.jpgIMG_20170326_130019.jpgIMG_20170326_131634.jpgIMG_20170327_140133.jpgIMG_20170328_104527.jpg

Jully

I had previously been under the impression that it was awesome for cliffy terrain, but not as good for real steep expert stuff that lacked major hucks? I could be wrong about that though.

Sure looks amazing though. Is this an above average snow year for them?

nkLottery

I had previously been under the impression that it was awesome for cliffy terrain, but not as good for real steep expert stuff that lacked major hucks? I could be wrong about that though.

Sure looks amazing though. Is this an above average snow year for them?

It was an above average snow year, probably not all time but pretty damn close. They were killing it in January when I was skiing I-70 and Steamboat, just getting wrecked with snow every day.

As far as steep stuff that lacked hucks, it has plenty of that but I guess the runs just aren't as long/sustained as they are at some other mountains. Plenty of good stuff to be found out there though. FWIW I'm not comfortable with big aerials but the extreme terrain was a super fun time for me

Jully

It was an above average snow year, probably not all time but pretty damn close. They were killing it in January when I was skiing I-70 and Steamboat, just getting wrecked with snow every day.

As far as steep stuff that lacked hucks, it has plenty of that but I guess the runs just aren't as long/sustained as they are at some other mountains. Plenty of good stuff to be found out there though. FWIW I'm not comfortable with big aerials but the extreme terrain was a super fun time for me

From the pics it definitely looks like it! Hoping to get out there next season assuming it is good.

snoseek

We are hoping to get out there next weekend.

I'm jealous! I really love it down there. It's a nice break from the summit crowds and just a beautiful area overall. I've not skied there with a base like they're sitting on so I imagine everything is game which was not the case on previous visits for me. Its not all cliffs and stuff....theirs some good cruising and even better bump trails.

4aprice

I'm jealous! I really love it down there. It's a nice break from the summit crowds and just a beautiful area overall. I've not skied there with a base like they're sitting on so I imagine everything is game which was not the case on previous visits for me. Its not all cliffs and stuff....theirs some good cruising and even better bump trails.

Another Max Pass destination on the list. Actually was a back up this year if some other plans fell through but they did not.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ