• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre 3-30-17

legalskier

Arrived mid morning under partly cloudy skies and the temp hovering around the freezing mark. Heading over to the west side on Howes Highway I noticed how good the coverage was on the trails I crossed, though the designated "official" glades appeared to be closed. Did a warm-up on Deer Run:
2b.jpg
(That's Platty in the distance.) Dot Nebel had terrific conditions as the sun loosened up what had frozen last night:
1b.jpg
I took a chance and ducked into the trees off Seneca:
3b.jpg
The woods had the goods, so poachers gotta get while the gettin's good. Hopefully it will be even better by Saturday, after the 6-12" dump the radio news is predicting up there (*fingers crossed*). By late morning the clouds burned off and the temp rose, softening up conditions such that I stayed on the shady sides of the trails. Lift 7 wasn't spinning, which meant I had Yahoo, Onteora and Area 51 all to myself:
4b.jpg
Sweet. By 2:30 a cloud front had moved in, casting shade and dropping the temps a bit, preserving the snow-cover on trails like Mohawk:
5b.jpg
Let's here it for Ski Patrol!
All in all an excellent day to grab a ton of vertical and a good work-out.

Last edited:

4aprice

Pretty dam pleased that Bell is on the Max Pass next year along with Windham. Going to be nice to have 2 day options along with the weekend options up north and the good stuff out west.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Glenn

Nice. A good day to be out on the hill. Glad to hear they'll get some snow out of this next system.