4/6-?/2017 Summit county, Colorado -- Spring skiing - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Snow beats cookies every time

Lets go!
    I'll drive.

So it did. I did one more run. Then head straight to the bottom, and managed to grab some cookies before they ran out.

Day 6 (4/11/2017), Vail
    Condition: VARIABLE
    It's not a terribly memorable day, because I miscalculated the interplay between sun, temperature and snow.

Having figured out how to park for free (with a long shuttle wait if not timed correctly), I decided to give it a try since it got 8" 2 days earlier.

Thinking the south facing back bowls would turn to slush in the high temperature and sunny day soon, I went straight there first thing in the morning. Well, it was firm as the ice cubes in my freezer!

Undeterred, I stubbornly continued to hunt for east facing aspect runs, with only limited success. I did hit a few runs in the right time eventually. But there were many more runs of death cookies in between. In truth, even many of the "good" runs were only half good: upper or lower depending on my timing.

About 1pm, I exhausted most of the east and southeast facing runs. saw clouds coming in high up. Knowing that would put an end to further softening of the snow, I went in for lunch instead. Besides, my legs were kind of weak from all the death cookies I had to skid over.

After lunch, the cloud made the light pretty flat. So I turn my attention to the front side, which faces mostly north. There were some north west facing aspects that I focus more on. Again, it's that same situation of half of the run were in good condition and half slush or ice. I enjoyed myself on the good part more this time because I had lowered my expectation.

End of the day run down to the bottom was in pretty thick slush. Thankfully, there's enough pitch on the bottom runs (I choose the steeper runs knowing I would encounter slush). It was actually kind of fun surfing the little touched slush soup, "almost like powder"!

4/12, Rest day

Since condition was not exactly spectacular, I skipped a day and went down to Boulder with my host to a brew pub. There's a gathering of her friends at the turn of the season to plan for activities for the next few months. Along the way there, we saw a brand spanking new bike path hanging on the cliff side of the river (along route 6) just opened for use (albeit partially). We vow we will return to ride it. The beer in the brew pub wasn't anything to write home about. But I did get to meet a bunch of people who're ALL into outdoor pursue of one kind or another. We made plans to hook up for ski/bike/raft in the next few weeks. (every year, once the snow melts, I turn into a bike-aholic, with a bit of kayaking mixed in).

So I've now committed to bike, I need some cycling gear, none of which I brought with me from New York. (My host has a lot of extras, and we're similar in size. So I'm technically set for that) On the other hand, I also know I NEED some cycling gear since my current outfit are kind of in tatters And here I am in the land of everyone does serious sports, I figure I might have a better chance of finding more choices of jerseys/shorts/shoes than what I can find in New York, and perhaps cheaper too. So, I devoted one afternoon to cycling gear hunter, with excellent results! I found a Perl Izumi in the outlet mall and took full advantage of the discount offered. I now have new cycling shoes, gloves and a new pair of shorts plus a couple of jerseys. These will serve me well enough for the coming season (I had a bike crash a year and half ago which shredded my shorts & jersey, dented my helmet too)

(those of you who read or contributed to the "Travel and Rest" thread would remember "shopping" being one of the optional activities on a "rest day". Well, prices here are far better than what I would pay in New York, with considerably better variety to choose from. I haven't even started on ski-related shopping yet )

Day 7 & 8 (4/13 & 14) A-Basin
    Weather: Sunny and warm
    Condition: Spring - firm in the morning, soft to slush in the afternoon.

Like all spring skiing, the trick is to hit runs in the right aspect angle at the right time. I know A-basin quite well, particularly for spring skiing. So I had much better success in being at the right slope at the right time...

On Thursday (4/13), I got there relatively early. So I warm up in the lower part of the mountain while patiently waiting for the upper part of the mountain to soften up. It didn't take very long. It was a warm day and the sun was hitting the east facing slopes in full force. So those sections turned into cream cheese in short order. Then around 11, we moved to the back side and did a few laps on the east facing wall, followed by the more southwest facing aspect. Around 1, my friend had to go to work and my legs demanded a lunch break. After lunch, it's time to hit the east wall (which faces west). It softened up quite nicely, offering up cream cheese surfing in sections.

A little before 3, I decided I still had some legs left to hit Palivencini. But being a lazy butt, I thought I'd take the Black Mountain chair up to the top and ski down instead of dealing with the slush at the bottom of Leewana. Well, a kid didn't get off the chair at the top, nor did he trips the wire to stop the chair. So he ended up going around to the downhill side. But he's deemed too young to just let him ride the chair to the bottom alone, ski patrol had to send someone up the ladder to join him. All that took quite a bit of time. So I was late for the Pali chair. I skied literally into the liftie who just finished hanging the "Closed" sign on the entry to the chair!

Friday, I didn't bother to go up quite so early. More over, it's a bit cooler than Thursday. At 11 o'clock, the west wall was barely edge-able. So I had to delay my planned "circuit" for another 1/2 hr. Then things fell into place. I enjoyed a lot of soft cream cheese surfing, first West Wall, then the back side, then Pali (East Wall never soften). Even at the end of the day, the top of Pali was kind of firm. But the mid-section was nice and soft, and the mogul there were nice and big. I had a blast!
    Last edited by abc; Apr 15, 2017 at 10:41 PM.

Day 9 (4/15) Breckenridge -- Sunny with some wind

When I got my Epic pass, one of my hope is to ski Breck more. But that didn't work out too well, because the constant wind hold whenever there's some wind. And it seems Breck gets a lot of wind!

So this week, when I finally spy some calm days, Breck was the destination.

This being spring skiing, we didn't hurry. We only got to parking after 9. With shuttles and gondola etc, we didn't get on snow till after 10.

But when we got to the top of peak 8, neither the Imperial chair nor the t-bar was running!

Though after speaking to the ski host, we were told they were just waiting for the top to soften up "just a little bit more" because it was "rock hard". OK, we don't want to ski rocks anyway. So we went to Peak 6 for a quickie tour while waiting for the top of Peak 8 to open.

Peak 6, being at the fringe of the resort, is typically quieter than Peak 8 or 9. It's got a lot of blue cruisers. Since it faces east'ish, it's also the first to soften. We took advantage of that and enjoyed ourselves to some cream cheese surfing.

Around 1, I decided Peak 6 had gotten too slushy. And I bet Imperial would by now be open. So I started making my way over there. What I didn't realize is how long it takes to get from Peak 6 to ANYWHERE! Especially on a warm day with slow snow, the run from Peak 6 to the bottom of Peak 7 took forever!

But finally, I was at the T-bar. Hallelujah! I took a couple run on the T-bar, it wasn't too bad. But nothing to write home about. Perhaps because my mind wasn't there. This is the first day (for me) that the Imperial chair is running! So as quickly as i could, I made a beeline to it. No line this late in the season.

At the top, I can hear the loud scraping sound from people taking the traverse to Whale's Tail. I wasn't sure I feel like it. So I decided to come down Imperial Bowl instead, at least for my first run. In subsequent chair rides, I made a point to join others, and asked if anyone had dropped into Horseshoe Bowl. None had. In the mean time, I explored the Imperial Bowl, only to find the best snow on the ridge itself. The ever present wind had deposited a layer of loose snow on the ridge resembling dry powder. No sense wasting such good condition to risk the unknown in Horseshoe Bowl.

I do wonder if the condition there may just be not that great. So those who did it never bother to go back up again?

Anyway, I lapped the Imperial chair till it closes at 2:45. Then did a mix of black cruiser and soft moguls. By then, it's so warm everything is soft. The trick being finding trails having enough pitch so I don't just bogged down. Unfortunately, the bottom of Peak 8 and 9 were both really flat. It's really annoying in soft conditions.

So, while the top half of the runs were ok, I just had it with the slush at the bottom. I quit relatively early at 3:30.

It was a good day skiing, despite my complain about the mountain.

Going to Aspen tomorrow.
    Last edited by abc; Apr 15, 2017 at 11:28 PM.

If you are still out there around Mother's Day there is this: http://forum.pugski.com/threads/2017...ribution.4483/

Not likely. Not staying beyond end of April

I'm passing through like the Tuesday after Mothers Day. How is the Base at Abasin looking? Pali base?

Base at A-basin is still plenty good (good enough I can't tell casually how good it is. )

Not sure how well it hold up in the coming weeks. But forecast is for relatively cool for the coming week or so, with a bit of new snow even possible. So I would think it's looking good for you.

Pali is still skiing quite well right now. But I'm no expert in that particular sector of the mountain. Some mentioned some years it gets closed before the closing day due to snow stability issues.

Thread Information