• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

4/6-?/2017 Summit county, Colorado -- Spring skiing

abc

Aspen had extended their season for one more week. Both my friend and I had Mountain Collective pass we hadn't found time to use at Aspen yet. With Summit county mountains having ho-hum conditions, my friend was in the mood for a mini-vacation: 3 hrs away from home base, overnight at Aspen at a time when we can get cheap lodging, plus a couple of "side activities" along the way.

Sunday (4/16), Cycling the Glenwood Canyon bike path at 70 degree sunshine while watching brave kayaker tackle the (must still be very chilly) white water in that stretch of the Colorado River.

30 mile round trip (mostly flat) for a first bike ride of the season. Feeling totally invigorated, and awaken my hibernating cycling interest!

Monday (4/17) Aspen Mountain: Blue bird day. Surfing cream cheese smooth groomers and soft bumps, with only one episode of getting stuck in a slope with inadequate cover.

We must be the only out of town tourists there! Everyone we met on the chair/gondola/slope were locals. It's also evident from how proficient the skiing of everyone on the slope.

A quiet picnic at the deck of Ruthie's (closed for the season). Having the gorgeous Aspen Mountain pretty much to ourselves

IMG_1070.jpg

Beer at Harp Culture to top the day.

Tuesday (4/18 ) Grand Junction: Biking the 20 mile "Wine and Orchard" loop at Grand Junction. Unfortunately, most of the wine tasting rooms were not yet open (or perhaps due to it being on a weekday?). So we had a good ride without the interference of alcohol.

The un-spent time we allocated for wine tasting was instead used for a stop at a Mexican Tamale factory for some freshly made Tamales, which was then followed by ice cream at the Graff Dairy.

On our drive back, we stopped at the Iron Mountain Hot Spring (near Glenwood Spring) for a relaxing soak while watching the sunset behind the mountains.

Last edited:

abc

This also end up being the last ski day of my season. Heading home now...

Looking forward to the 3 days drive of that mind-numbing stretch through the Midwest plain...NOT!

snoseek

Looking forward to the 3 days drive of that mind-numbing stretch through the Midwest plain...NOT!

You know it! I'll be taking 80/70/50 across in three weeks going the other way.

Its been nice following your adventures. May this be chapter one.

dlague

Thanks for sharing your journey! It has been awesome!