Killington 4/8/17 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Haha, awesome photo!

2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

Sweet!

It amazing how nice things have recovered when the prediction was expected to be the wet stuff. That seemed to have happened time and time again. Get let down with forecasts then boom - snow. It seems like overall this turned out to be a darn good season back east. Looks pretty sweet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    It amazing how nice things have recovered when the prediction was expected to be the wet stuff. That seemed to have happened time and time again. Get let down with forecasts then boom - snow. It seems like overall this turned out to be a darn good season back east. Looks pretty sweet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

You're right about the forecast vs reality at least in my own personal experience. I also think it really depended on where you were skiing. The northern mountains did well overall by avoiding much of the rain this season. Areas down south seemed to struggle .

If the temps were colder this season would have been unbelievable as it seems like the pattern was quite active.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    I feel like those are the trees I always see while heading up the K1, but never seem to make it down over there or the snow isn't good or its closed. Probably won't have a chance to get in/over there until next season at this point because this weekend will most likely not be good coverage in there with the warmth.
    The area seems to be roped off a lot also.
    If the snow is good the terrian off the canyon chair is some of the best Killington has to offer.

Sent from my LG-H901 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 30
    15/16 Season 24
    16/17 Season 32

Some of those woods you guys are posting look nice and wide - at least compared to the tight trees at Mt. Snow (most are tight at least) - where are these nice tree trails? Especially in the 2nd post, 2nd photo down, the one with less light, that looks awesome.
    Yep that's Big Dipper (with the different lighting). It's more a glade than tree/wood skiing. The top part is more woodsy if you take the rabbit hole entrance further down Great Northern rather than heading in right next to Double Dipper.

The other woods are mostly near Roundabout but I was also skiing some unmarked woods off the top of Snowden.. the short ones that take you into a power line heading towards the North Ridge chair.

FWIW Killington has amazing tree skiing, only problem is some of the best like Julio/Jaunita/Anarchy aren't open very often. If that matters to you.
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Yep that's Big Dipper (with the different lighting). It's more a glade than tree/wood skiing. The top part is more woodsy if you take the rabbit hole entrance further down Great Northern rather than heading in right next to Double Dipper.

The other woods are mostly near Roundabout but I was also skiing some unmarked woods off the top of Snowden.. the short ones that take you into a power line heading towards the North Ridge chair.

FWIW Killington has amazing tree skiing, only problem is some of the best like Julio/Jaunita/Anarchy aren't open very often. If that matters to you.
    I'm always trying to explore. I like a nice wide glade compared to trees/woods, the super tight trees just aren't what I'm hunting.

I think we might be going to Killington on Friday, but I doubt that area will be open or might not even have enough coverage by then after this crazy warm-up.
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

I'm always trying to explore. I like a nice wide glade compared to trees/woods, the super tight trees just aren't what I'm hunting.

I think we might be going to Killington on Friday, but I doubt that area will be open or might not even have enough coverage by then after this crazy warm-up.
    You might be able to duck into the trees next to Superstar. Tends to last a little longer there due to snowmaking blowover.

I think the best wide glade at Killington is also one of the easiest, Squeeze Play on Ramshead. It's pretty open in there, fun stuff though.
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

Was the best weekend of the 16/17 season on the east coast. Actually had me fall in love with eastern skiing again. Something needed after the 2015-2016 disaster.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

It was very good, but I'm thinking you are forgetting the week in February just before the blow torch when it snowed practically every day and most places in New England picked up 50+ inches of snow. Jay cashed in with almost 100 that week.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information