• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak 4/9/17 best day of the season

bdfreetuna

We stayed at Woodshed Lodge next to Jay Peak after driving up from Killington. Very cozy joint, nice dog too, and good breakfast. Can't beat the location, so we went to Big Jay Tavern for dinner. There was a lot of snow up there.

Anyway, the skiing today was off the hook. This morning's conditions were the best I've skied all year. There wasn't a spot of ice on the mountain. Everything that was groomed was superhero snow. Everyone was out there carving it like an Iron Chef. In no particular order..

Haynes was a blast, big deep S turns all the way down, it was like this all morning just loading up the skis and getting so aggressive with this insanely forgiving and playful snow. Under deep blue skies, I'm riding the lift thinking this is like a ski magazine cover out of the 80s. Because this kind of perfect doesn't still happen in 2017, or does it? Then back to simple, happy thoughts.

This is probably the last day of the year for me, unless I want to go ski some slush at Killington in 3 weeks (my earliest next opportunity). And the mountain is in the best shape I've ever skied it.

There wasn't even a pipe to ski over getting into Everglade.
There wasn't even ice on Alligator Alley.
Didn't even have to keep an eye out for bare stuff in Deliverance.

Started with a run down Ullr's Dream first thing. Soft, dry sorta-fluffy, sorta-packed. Absolutely shredded the run, other skiers on the trail were spectating a new level of whoop ass as I spread the X-wings and put it into hyperdrive to blow by in a trail's edge hugging straight line whenever necessary.

Good feelings like that all morning. Trees were A+++ as well. Timbuktu: off the hook. Kitz Woods: off the hook (and the snow was like silk in there). North Glade, Everglade, Hell's Woods, same story.

Around noon went in to the Tower Bar for lunch, went back out with the intention of waiting in line for the Tram and skiing Pump House off the ridge. Wait could have been worse, it was uncrowded today. On the way up saw that there didn't seem like a bunch of tracks down Pump House, the ridge in general seemed kinda oddly tracked.

So we climbed the ridge up top and went over to the end but there was only a few tracks going down. Problem in my mind being, this snow was getting pretty wet/heavy (it was at least 50 degrees in the sun by then), I was really hoping it would be more tracked out or corned up. Secondly I was planning to take my wife down it with the promise that "it's not as bad as it looks". It looked dense and sticky to me. I like jump turn terrain but my wife hasn't mastered the jump turn yet. And it's tough to jump turn when your skis are stuck in sun baked snow. So we skied down and went for Green Beret instead.

Which was an awesome run, totally soft snow. Spent the rest of the afternoon skiing moguls and trees. I think that was the best day of the season... the first few hours in particular might have been the most fun snow I've ever skied.

bdfreetuna

fe7addeebbe92f7d6ca048a20edf7991.jpg
3d41f2e8a241c7d6e43a38ef3b22d6f0.jpg
f2c6acc2c2638a5773a8cd05cc3a5893.jpg
4f5c8e36e54ae3cfd7500924d28ec460.jpg
ba338a1d1d3a7a9f87817b45145f3657.jpg
22bb394b46667ff34f2b6a1eb02b4077.jpg
68be8cdaa445266256ebca3a0206370d.jpg
ff15ef79c5ffe87038e5a2ae99c3bec2.jpg

Sent from my LG-D850 using AlpineZone mobile app

keyser soze

Yes it does. Kicking myself in the ass for not making it up somewhere in Vt this weekend.

MG Skier

I had thought I was going to get up there this weekend, it didn't work out. I WILL get up there Thursday night. I have been itching to get there all season!

Jully

Looks great! Toying with a trip to Jay later in the season. This certainly tips the scales that way.

skiMEbike

Looks awesome !! Got to think just about everywhere you skied yesterday was awesome. Looks & sounds a lot like the conditions at the Loaf yesterday...Just about everything in play yesterday.

bdfreetuna

Looks great! Toying with a trip to Jay later in the season. This certainly tips the scales that way.

Next weekend is the last time the tram is open, then they're fixing it. Then I think one more weekend with the Flyer and Bonnie. After that just the Jet/Stateside. Check their snow report it has the details... just don't want you to think you can go up in May and ski the whole mountain.

Jully

Next weekend is the last time the tram is open, then they're fixing it. Then I think one more weekend with the Flyer and Bonnie. After that just the Jet/Stateside. Check their snow report it has the details... just don't want you to think you can go up in May and ski the whole mountain.

I appreciate that. I'm up in Burlington for non-skiing reasons the weekend of the 21st. I don't care about the tram, but I'll have to watch the Flyer and Bonnie. I'm definitely not ditching my family for a day to ski the Jet.