• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Aspen / KSL acquired Mammoth Resorts

BenedictGomez

By biggest question is whether or not these mega passes are an enduring industry thing, or a fad that will largely be gone in 20 years. While a smart way to get residents of Wisconsin or Michigan to your resort each year, I feel the appeal is simply overrated for most of the population. And I really question what happens once we have numerous mega pass options all competing against each other, which is soon to be.

Duncanator24

Interesting since both Aspen and Mammoth are in the Mountain Collective. Wonder if a lot of those mountains will end up in one giant conglomerate. Would be nice to have more than two days at each.

xwhaler

Interesting since both Aspen and Mammoth are in the Mountain Collective. Wonder if a lot of those mountains will end up in one giant conglomerate. Would be nice to have more than two days at each.

+1 I need some extra incentive before I pull the trigger on my MC pass for next season
Hopefully some EC component

deadheadskier

Staff member
By biggest question is whether or not these mega passes are an enduring industry thing, or a fad that will largely be gone in 20 years. While a smart way to get residents of Wisconsin or Michigan to your resort each year, I feel the appeal is simply overrated for most of the population. And I really question what happens once we have numerous mega pass options all competing against each other, which is soon to be.
What makes you "feel" that way? Multi mountain passes have always been pretty popular dating back to ASC.

They give folks variety and keep people spending their money regionally or nationally "in the family."

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

I agree with BG, it definitely has the potential to squeeze the smaller players out that the larger mtns have no interest in adding to their portfolio.
I would guess that in 50 yrs we will have far fewer operating ski mtns than currently exist today and the ones that do exist will follow a very similiar business model and have a largely uniform feel/vibe.
For my kids and their kids this makes me sort of sad evn though right now I'm enjoying the inexpensive skiing at a variety of mtns.

Jully

I agree with BG, it definitely has the potential to squeeze the smaller players out that the larger mtns have no interest in adding to their portfolio.
I would guess that in 50 yrs we will have far fewer operating ski mtns than currently exist today and the ones that do exist will follow a very similiar business model and have a largely uniform feel/vibe.
For my kids and their kids this makes me sort of sad evn though right now I'm enjoying the inexpensive skiing at a variety of mtns.

That's already been happening though. With snowmaking, grooming, and high speed lifts, the capital just isn't available for smaller resorts in the same way and bigger resorts need more capital than ever before, more than they can generate on their own oftentimes. Us participating in multi-mountain passes isn't the main driver causing the homogenization and consolidation of the ski industry, IMO.

One of the main drivers behind the Aspen KSL moves is access to capital rather than a burning desire to participate in a multi-mountain fad and take on Vail (though the Vail component is partially TBD). Mammoth brass basically said their capital and timespan for expansion and development had dried up (accelerated by the great recession). KSL has the money so they went with the merger.

http://www.saminfo.com/headline-new...l-capital-partners-to-acquire-mammoth-resorts

4aprice

I hope this trend continues. Having the Max Pass was awesome this year and we really took advantage of the variety. We are going to continue to ski in Colorado and Utah every year and as long as we remain here on the east coast I will look the best product that provides skiing here and out there. Already set for next year with Max and will see what transpires next March. Always been a fan of Aspen so if they put together something interesting we will definitely take a look at it. Being locked into certain areas for a season doesn't bother me and makes travel plans pretty easy.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

bushpilot

They'll probably start raising prices dramatically like cell phone and cable providers.

and then the smaller mtns will have a chance to come back with lower prices catering to a different customer just like cell phone companies (metro pcs, sprint etc) and cable alternatives (hulu, netflix, even play station is getting in on the action).

Domeskier

and then the smaller mtns will have a chance to come back with lower prices catering to a different customer just like cell phone companies (metro pcs, sprint etc) and cable alternatives (hulu, netflix, even play station is getting in on the action).

The difference being that the major telecomm providers do not have a monopoly on the best content. If all the best mountains are owned by a handful of major corporations, all the little guys can do is lower prices and hope to attract people like me who don't care if Satan's Staircase has just 300 steps.

dlague

I think he's referring to Snow Summit and Bear in Southern CA. I've skied them and they're not big for western hills. I've never heard of June Mountain.

yup! I have skied both as well when I lived in Southern CA. Actually felt like I was in New England.

dlague

Well Callifornia certianly has multi resort pass options options as well as Colorado where there are multiple multi mountain options as well as discount opportunities. The Max Pass and the Peak Pass seemed to be the initial answer for New England and now it looks like that will be expanding. However,, I wonder if there will be a dismantlement of Max and MC Passes if this continues.

The Gems Card is a perfect example of how the smaller places are competing for visits - buy a card for $25 and get two 2 for 1s at eight different places.

Even places like Monarch are partnering with this type of deal

Season-Pass-.jpg