Killington - Bear Mountain "Revitalization"

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Killington - Bear Mountain "Revitalization"

K has some big plans for next summer. Renovating Bear lodge, new condos, reestablishing a South Ridge quad, and a new trail(including a tunnel) to connect the top of Bear to the base of Skye Peak. Looks interesting. I've been hoping they'd bring back a South Ridge lift for years.

http://www.killington.com/company/me...pressrelease56

Phase 1 of the Bear Mountain Revitalization Plan, called “Base Camp at Bear Mountain” is expected to begin in summer 2018 with the construction of 6-7 multi-family buildings estimated to cost $45 million, plus a major remodeling of Bear Mountain Base Lodge (keeping the original footprint), the installation of a fixed grip quad chair lift on Killington’s South Ridge, and on-mountain improvements for skier flow including bridge and tunnel work. On-mountain improvements are expected to cost approximately $8 million total.
    Phase 1’s on-mountain trail improvements include reestablishing the Snowshed Crossover trail with the construction of a ski bridge and tunnel to enhance the on-snow experience for lower ability levels, while at the same time maintaining uninterrupted top to bottom flow on the more advanced terrain in the Bear Mountain area
    The new South Ridge Quad chair lift will carry skiers and snowboarders from the top of Bear Mountain and bottom of the South Ridge trails to the top of Killington’s South Ridge area, just below the Killington Peak Lodge. Constructing the new lift along the previous South Ridge lift’s return line eliminates the need for any significant trail clearing or rerouting of trails.
    Quad.jpg
    Crossover.jpg

I think they are nuts if they don't extend any lift on South ridge up to a position that would enable access to the new summit lodge.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

They've discussed extending the new SR lift to the peak ad nauseam at K-Zone. Killington says there is no enough Room to unload a quad up there. Plus I think it complicates the permitting.

Not a new ski trail. Snowshed crossover exists today and wil "officially" be open once they close the bear base area for the season. Will be nice to have that connectivity back on the map. I am curious how they plan on keeping snow in the tunnel beneath Skyeburst. Thatis a pretty wide trail which will require a long tunnel.
    2017-2018

Ski Visits in PA
    Ski Visits in VT
    Total Ski Visits

Ski Roundtop
    Ski Liberty
    Stowe
    Sugarbush
    Killington

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    I am curious how they plan on keeping snow in the tunnel beneath Skyeburst. Thatis a pretty wide trail which will require a long tunnel.
    Sounds like the perfect use for SnowFlex!

Awesome. No more skating in front of K1 lodge to get from one side of resort to the other. Definitely addresses what I consider the biggest problem at Killington.
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

Killington needs a few more narrow trails. They should add one or two skiers right of south ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Awesome. No more skating in front of K1 lodge to get from one side of resort to the other. Definitely addresses what I consider the biggest problem at Killington.
    That would be great, hate the skate.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Bump

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 30
    15/16 Season 24
    16/17 Season 32

Alway feels to me like over half the trails at K-ton do nothing more than get you to and from various places.....

Quote Originally Posted by tnt1234 View Post
    Alway feels to me like over half the trails at K-ton do nothing more than get you to and from various places.....
    That can be the case. To avoid that experience it's best to move from mountain to mountain at the base areas utilizing the lifts. If you take that approach, you can pretty much avoid most all connector type trails at K.

Thread Information