• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bolton Valley Sold: Back to the Future

ForcedHotWater

I have never stayed in their hotel because A) price and B) price. If they can remodel it and get it under $100 a night it might be incentive for me to stay in their "village" rather than stay in Burlington or Barre.

You want them to remodel AND sell you a room for <100/night? Good grief. I'll bet you want them to board your unicorn for free too.

Jully

Are the rooms right now over $100 a night? I've never looked. Attitash Grand Summit rooms are right at $100 and Sunday River's Snow Cap Inn (though not exactly slopeside) is reliably under $90 a night with some advanced planning (and under $70 if you book at the BEWI show)

xwhaler

So I just did a random search for the wknd of 12/22-24th (they let you book this far out)
1 Queen in the non updated rooms=$97/night
2 Doubles=$107, 2 queens $116

The deluxe rooms (I think just slightly more modern) add $9/night to the above.
To me if you can stay slopeside for around $100/night you are doing pretty good.

Jully

So I just did a random search for the wknd of 12/22-24th (they let you book this far out)

To me if you can stay slopeside for around $100/night you are doing pretty good.

Agreed. That seems reasonable enough to me judging by how incredibly slopeside the hotel is. Remaining question would be how non-updated the non-updated rooms are!

I'd hope they would provide some incentives for booking at ski shows too.

thetrailboss

Staff member

That is a great price.

mikec142

Those are some reasonable prices. But the next question I would ask is what are reasonable expectations for open terrain at that time of year at BV?

xwhaler

Agreed. That seems reasonable enough to me judging by how incredibly slopeside the hotel is. Remaining question would be how non-updated the non-updated rooms are!

I'd hope they would provide some incentives for booking at ski shows too.
They are clean and basic. I stayed there for a night a couple yrs ago. It included a basic breakfast which u got down in the convenience store.
Nice feature is also having a sports club on site with hot tub/sauna/pool/tennis courts/etc.
I'd do a ski and stay wknd with my family is the price made sense for sure.Being slopeside anywhere is awesome and I could get past an outdated room for that level of access/convenience.

Jully

They are clean and basic. I stayed there for a night a couple yrs ago. It included a basic breakfast which u got down in the convenience store.
Nice feature is also having a sports club on site with hot tub/sauna/pool/tennis courts/etc.
I'd do a ski and stay wknd with my family is the price made sense for sure.Being slopeside anywhere is awesome and I could get past an outdated room for that level of access/convenience.

I can certainly get past it as well assuming the beds are fine. I don't watch TV in the hotel room ever. I mostly care about some basic things like the bed not being run down and decent water pressure.

I mostly stay at old motels near resorts whenever I stay somewhere.

The included breakfast and any amenities are nice bonuses!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Those are some reasonable prices. But the next question I would ask is what are reasonable expectations for open terrain at that time of year at BV?

Hit or miss. Depends on the weather. They do have the benefit of elevation.

bdfreetuna

Re: above, I didn't realize it was closer to $110/night. I think that might be advance booking though. I've looked into it before and from what I recall it was closer to $150, weekends.

As stated I don't care if they remodel the hotel or not, they can tear it down for all I care, I'm happy staying somewhere more interesting down the road.

One thing about Bolton terrain is they are closer to the conservative side in terms of letting trails be open than say MRG, Sugarbush. Often there are trails closed mid-way through the year that have plenty of coverage but they are waiting to make snow on them anyway.

Bolton Valley should make greater use of "thin cover" signs IMO. But maybe they are playing it safe insurance wise.

Jully

Re: above, I didn't realize it was closer to $110/night. I think that might be advance booking though. I've looked into it before and from what I recall it was closer to $150, weekends.

As stated I don't care if they remodel the hotel or not, they can tear it down for all I care, I'm happy staying somewhere more interesting down the road.

One thing about Bolton terrain is they are closer to the conservative side in terms of letting trails be open than say MRG, Sugarbush. Often there are trails closed mid-way through the year that have plenty of coverage but they are waiting to make snow on them anyway.

Bolton Valley should make greater use of "thin cover" signs IMO. But maybe they are playing it safe insurance wise.

I've always wondered how insurance deals with thin cover signs. Hopefully that trail opening policy was more of an ownership decision/policy that will change with the new owners.

Re: hotel - I think $150 would be a tad steep for my tastes too unless it was MLK weekend or something.