• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So Nick moved to Florida

drjeff

that road in Boca Grande is one HUGE speed trap. use blinkers/don't speed at all. otherwise very nice area $$$$.

Had lunch after fishing last week at a Marina restaurant about a 1/2 mile off Boca before you get to the bridge. The guy at the table next to me, my son and my father had just flown in on his jet to the private airport nearby and was waiting for his captain and crew of his 110 foot yacht to finish getting it ready to head out on :eek: LOTS of big $$$ on Boca Grande!!!!!

Edd

Had lunch after fishing last week at a Marina restaurant about a 1/2 mile off Boca before you get to the bridge. The guy at the table next to me, my son and my father had just flown in on his jet to the private airport nearby and was waiting for his captain and crew of his 110 foot yacht to finish getting it ready to head out on :eek:

This sentence reads like your son and father flew in on the private jet of the guy sitting at the table next to you? Is that right?

Domeskier

I once made it as far south as D.C. but had to turn around due to the oppressive heat and humidity. Lounging around in the Keys holds some appeal for me, however.

abc

You couldn't pay me to move to Florida. Some people love it though.

Okay, okay, I could certainly be bought with enough money, but you get the idea...
I lived there for 2 years, for work. Yes, you can pay me to live there, with not that much money.

I don't get all the hates. I really don't. It's hot alright, but there's air conditioning. And you can go out for a run or ride early in the morning. Or better yet, go for a swim! Or go down to the keys to do some snorkeling/diving.

The whole winter is very pleasant. I peel myself away to go skiing every so often.

There're a lot of things I dislike about Florida (BUGS!). But there're also many things I dislike about the northeast (freezing rain/sleets). I don't focus on what I dislike. I focus on what I like. Florida has great opportunity for water sports. The northeast has more cultural activities. Colorado? Great skiing, great biking, great hiking... you get the idea.

BenedictGomez

I don't get all the hates. I really don't. It's hot alright, but there's air conditioning. And you can go out for a run or ride early in the morning. Or better yet, go for a swim! Or go down to the keys to do some snorkeling/diving.

The thing I don't like the most is the homogeneity of much of the (very large) state. It's all the same. Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Home Depot, etc... it's like the mecca of the box store. Then there's the summer, which is bad, and I can tolerate heat better than most people, so at least I'd have the golf course to myself in July.

As for the Keys, yes they're beautiful, but it's a LONG drive from almost anywhere in Florida to the middle keys, so realistically you're not going to go to the Keys much even if you live in Florida. From Jacksonville to Marathon Island is like driving from New Jersey to South Carolina. From Orlando it's like going from Boston to Quebec City. It's a huge state.

Oh, and South Florida is the absolute pits. There's a few nice pockets like Boca and Jupiter etc.... surrounded by congested and overfilled roads and a traffic light every 1/8 of a mile to boot. I hate the place.

dlague

I lived there for 2 years, for work. Yes, you can pay me to live there, with not that much money.

The whole winter is very pleasant. I peel myself away to go skiing every so often.

There're a lot of things I dislike about Florida (BUGS!). But there're also many things I dislike about the northeast (freezing rain/sleets). I don't focus on what I dislike. I focus on what I like. Florida has great opportunity for water sports. The northeast has more cultural activities. Colorado? Great skiing, great biking, great hiking... you get the idea.

To each there own I guess but agree with your last point RE: Colorado. However, if ocean is a requirement then it too is not great. We thought it was important to us having lived on both coasts. But California is a quick flight.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I hear the AC argument from my parents, but that still means you are stuck inside. Even when I was little and hadn't yet skied, I always preferred colder weather as you can dress for it. In the heat there's only so many clothes you can take off. I still spend more time indoors in the summer than I care to because of how hot it still gets in New England.

The other issue is too much sunshine for my fair skinned self. It's quite literally a health hazard unless I'm very regimented about wearing sun screen. I'm glad I only really have to worry about that half the year in New England.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

I hear the AC argument from my parents, but that still means you are stuck inside. Even when I was little and hadn't yet skied, I always preferred colder weather as you can dress for it. In the heat there's only so many clothes you can take off. I still spend more time indoors in the summer than I care to because of how hot it still gets in New England.

The colder weather argument is one I've been making for my entire life! Going from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned car to an air conditioned destination for 3+ months of the year sounds mind numbing to me. For people who HATE the cold or thrive in water activities, Florida makes perfect sense. It would be no different than someone moving north to ski country.

4aprice

We have a place in Florida. Its on a barrier island on the east coast and I like it BUT only between May 1st and October 31st. I've heard the "your crazy" cries from people, but most of the time the sea breeze makes life quite comfortable and none of the "snowbirds" are around making life very peaceful. It is our intention to spend much of the summer season there then relocate to the inter-mountain west for November through April and put it up as a seasonal rental.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Jcb890

I like the cold more than the heat, so that's my main reason. Florida is unbearably hot and humid more months than it is not. Therefore, I'd never move there. If I was paid enough, yeah maybe. But, it'd need to be a lot.

Tropical vacations are nice every once in a while though and snorkeling/scuba diving is good fun also.

abc

I like the cold more than the heat, so that's my main reason. Florida is unbearably hot and humid more months than it is not. Therefore, I'd never move there. If I was paid enough, yeah maybe. But, it'd need to be a lot.

Tropical vacations are nice every once in a while though and snorkeling/scuba diving is good fun also.

I didn't particularly like Florida. It wasn't a place I sought out to move to. But I had no hang up about it. I went there for a job I really like. It didn't pay any more than the other offer, in Virginia. But it was the job that launched my career. So I'm glad I followed my head rather than my heart (though my heart was indifferent about it).

Give me interesting work and reasonable pay, I would not rule it out. Ironically, the pay in Florida is typically LOW because the expectation that people wants to live there!

Having lived there for 2 years, I know what it's REALLY like, not just how one THINK it's like. It's one thing to know what you probably don't like anyway. I just know get all that hate, especially from people who haven't actually lived there.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Depending on where you are located in the mid-Atlantic you can at least break away for a weekend skiing still or even some day trips. Snowshoe is a plenty respectable enough mountain to enjoy for a couple of days. Florida you obviously can't do that.

Personally, I need the ability to get in a car and go skiing several times a month. Skiing a week and then waiting a month or two to go again would drive me crazy.

I've talked with Nick about his move and he's basically planning on skiing the same amount as he did living in New England, only now he plans on one week in Colorado with his sister and then go to Sugarloaf for a week surrounding the AZ Summit.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

jimk

The site manager for EpicSki lives in Central America. Frankly, we're lucky someone keeps the lights on so we can share ski stoke and peruse the wealth of info that flows through this site.

Quoting myself because of the news that they are pulling the plugon EpicSki. Keeping the lights on is something to be thankful for.

wa-loaf

The site manager for EpicSki lives in Central America. Frankly, we're lucky someone keeps the lights on so we can share ski stoke and peruse the wealth of info that flows through this site.

Hows that working out? lol