• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So Nick moved to Florida

Jully

My family calls Allegiant, "Death Trap Air", but they do have great deals to Florida, and are the airline I was referencing with the cheap rates I posted above. SFB is about 10 minutes from where my Mom retired, so it works out great. Plus I fly out of ABE, and going from tiny airport to tiny airport is fantastic. Security is a breeze, and you park closer to the airport than you typically do at the ski resort.

I'm curious why they are referred to as Death Trap Air? I've never ridden them before myself.

Would rental prices correspond to flight prices or projected volume? I may be giving rental companies less credit, but if it gets too close to the deadline and the flight volume for that day is way down, they might lower prices to entice more people to rent?

BenedictGomez

I'm curious why they are referred to as Death Trap Air? I've never ridden them before myself.

They're not really, it's just a joke in my family. They buy their planes as aging equipment from other carriers (United, Delta, American, etc..) fleet towards the end of its' life, or, at least when those major carriers no longer want them. You'll sometimes see little things like old style furniture you haven't seen in a while. Sometimes it's not noticeable, sometimes it's extremely noticeable. Like the flight I took to SFB where there was rear ceiling paneling literally held to the roof with duct tape.

Jully

They're not really, it's just a joke in my family. They buy their planes as aging equipment from other carriers (United, Delta, American, etc..) fleet towards the end of its' life, or, at least when those major carriers no longer want them. You'll sometimes see little things like old style furniture you haven't seen in a while. Sometimes it's not noticeable, sometimes it's extremely noticeable. Like the flight I took to SFB where there was rear ceiling paneling literally held to the roof with duct tape.

Ahh. I did not know that about them. A fitting joke name given some of those circumstances. I was not sure if they were more along the lines of Spirit. Glad to hear they are not!