• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A Tuckerman Ravine Guide (for noobs)?

becca m

i've been in the bowl a couple times and never successfully ridden an entire chute. Dropped the board once down Left Gully and luckily that missile didn't hit anyone badly (I recommend wearing a helmet!!!!), tomahawked down another gully. Heelside turns are more natural on steep terrain, which is why some riders tend to heel slide over steeps. The smaller the better for boards in there!!!! You want quick, short turns!!!! You are really just hopping into each edge over the dirty, MOUNDED corn-snow moguls (like Left Gully, late in the season, especially). I will probably use my mini board there again (123 cm).

Tin

I'm 6ft 135lbs

south-park-s01e02c08-94-pound-beefcake-16x9.jpg

Jcb890

Mount Washington Observatory gives great forecasts.
Yeah, that website is great, I was checking it out some earlier.

Yeah that's about what I found, thanks though!

You are being cautious and I understand but it is a 3-3:30 hr hike to the top of the bowl plus 20 minutes per run down. If you do another run it is 30-45 minutes back up. Then if you can ski out it is 45 minutes down or an hour or so hike if you can't. The later in the year you go the more danger there can be with cervices and ice fall. Cervices were starting to form on the lip and under the cliffs across the face last week. I usually try to pick a day the is mostly sunny to go. It isn't much fun when it is a frozen mess but that said if it is too warm then things get too wet cement like. I have hiked up before and only skied below the cliff lines and sometimes not at all. Each day is different up there and you have to play it by ear. Hillman's highway is also a nice option and the longest run but not technically in the bowl. the more I sit here and think about it I have done it so many times (25-30 times) there are things I take for granted that someone who hasn't done it wouldn't know.
I figured I'm being overly cautious, especially when I hear people (I think it was you actually) taking their kids up there with them haha!

Get there really early ,my last trip got one of the last parking spaces in the lot at 6:45 am.
I was thinking of getting there by 6ish maybe, try to be hiking up by 7 at the latest.

If you don't mind me asking, but whats your height/weight? 169 seems too big for me. I'm 6ft 135lbs and ride a 156 K2 Raygun, normal width, in powder/all mountain and haven't had any issues in all types of conditions. Newer boards you can ride several centimeters shorter than you could 10-15 years ago. Plus this time of year you aren't gonna need a super long board for corn snow. The extra weight won't be welcome on the hike either.

Also, grab a pack! Seriously, its worth the investment and you can get a decent day-pack for under $100 online. Not just for carrying your board but you can strap on collapsable poles on the way down.

As far as snowboarders not ripping Tucks as much, I have to agree. There are way too few snowboarders willing to take on difficult and variable conditions and terrain like Tuckerman's. You can definitely do it though, it just requires stamina and good technical skill. Know when/where to make your turns. Know how to absorb bumpy terrain, and get used to making quick turns! You basically have to hop from edge to edge but if your legs can handle it you can definitely rip it!
I don't mind at all. I'm 6'/6'1" and 240 with size 13 boots. I rode a friend's 161 YES PYL (regular width) and it felt tiny. My brother is about my size and rides a 158 though. I also have a 163W Ride Highlife UL, but my 169W Jones Flagship has been my go-to.

Also, 6' and 135?? Holy beanpole!! My dogs (combined) weigh more than you! Maybe a year and a half ago I literally weighed more than two of you, haha.

Jcb890

i've been in the bowl a couple times and never successfully ridden an entire chute. Dropped the board once down Left Gully and luckily that missile didn't hit anyone badly (I recommend wearing a helmet!!!!), tomahawked down another gully. Heelside turns are more natural on steep terrain, which is why some riders tend to heel slide over steeps. The smaller the better for boards in there!!!! You want quick, short turns!!!! You are really just hopping into each edge over the dirty, MOUNDED corn-snow moguls (like Left Gully, late in the season, especially). I will probably use my mini board there again (123 cm).
Are all the runs going to be bumped up this time of year?

makimono

When I used to go to Tucks we'd always stay at Joe Dodge lodge the night before. It's nice to already be there, not have to deal with any parking issue at Pinkham, plus not having to start the day with a 3 hour drive. And they put on a nice buffet breakfast too.

I'll add that for me down hiking is worse (more stress on knees) than the hike up. So although I've been up there as late as the last week of June, I prefer to go in late April over late May when you can still ride the sherbie down to your car, or at least most of the way.

It's a circus no matter what weekend you go but in mid May at the peak there's a lot of kooks up there and some can be down right dangerous. I stay out of the domino line of people up the main gulley and prefer to go left gulley/chute or if it's not too crowded at lunch rocks lapping right gulley/lobster claw is really fun.

Gnarcissaro

I was up there on Monday the 17 after a rain and it was fairly smooth still in the ravine. Sherburne was melting out fast near the bottom and is now no longer top to bottom.

The area around The Lip was showing small to medium sized crevasses, be weary of these if you (arguably unwisely) choose to hike and/or ride through there. Safer on the South side of the ravine so we chose to ride 'Chute.' Left Gully was looking good too.

Good to familiarize yourself with basic place names within the ravine. Keep an eye out for icefall out of Sluice or Headwall. I've witnessed rocks coming down to, not a place to take lightly. If you should choose to sit on the Lunch Rocks 'like everyone else is doing' just remember about whats above you...

http://timefortuckerman.com/routes.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowsdower

I don't mind at all. I'm 6'/6'1" and 240 with size 13 boots. I rode a friend's 161 YES PYL (regular width) and it felt tiny. My brother is about my size and rides a 158 though. I also have a 163W Ride Highlife UL, but my 169W Jones Flagship has been my go-to.

Also, 6' and 135?? Holy beanpole!! My dogs (combined) weigh more than you! Maybe a year and a half ago I literally weighed more than two of you, haha.

Ha, yeah I know. I'm a super lightweight but height matters more than weight in determining board length. You can definitely get away with the shorter stick. You'll probably want it because you're going to need to throw that thing around a lot when you're making those short, quick turns coming down.

Like I said, I ride a 156 for all-mountain and powder. I do 152-154 for local PA mountains. If you're slashing big turns on corduroy you might not notice it, but when you need to get technical you really want a stable platform but one that's light and responsive, so having the extra length becomes a real hindrance.

SIKSKIER

The bolw itself doesn't really bump up per say but even when it does it never lasts more than a few days as the weather seems to do the grooming.I found the most non smooth terrain were runnels formed from rain.They can be tricky.The good part about skiing there is,for the most part you will hike what you ski so you're checking out the run on the way up.Dont like what you see?Head down from there.Dopnt feel the need to be manly if your not comfortable.Smelly had some good advise in that every day,actually during each day it will probably have huge changes in conditions.Dont hike up a nice soft ascent and traverse to a line you were looking at that has suddenly become shaded and think it will have that nice same snow.Exposure is everything and a soft corn line can freeze incredibly fast there.If I were you and you cant buy a pack to strap your board,I would find a friend that would lend you one.Its not impossible but I certainly wouldnt want to be hiking the headwall without 2 free hands.

crank

I agree that you should get a pack. Snowboard boots are more comfy than ski boots, but you will want regular hiking boots for the hike in and out so a pack to carry your snowboard boots and clothes that you will shed for the hike up and then use when up top, not to mention carrying lunch and water and some basic first aid crap. I wouldn't want to hike 3+ miles carrying my board under my arm.

Also, you will be hiking down the hiking trail, not the Sherburne Trail.

raisingarizona

You seriously need to tighten up your sh¥t show son.