• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

driving - new england to denver

gmcunni

I was never really that bored - everything was new to me - even through Kansas I found things to see that were interesting.

so you took RT 70? little reading i've done said 80 was the more traveled route, ie - better and more service & rest stops.

jimk

From Wash DC area I actually take I64 sometimes thru KY. It's quiet compared to I70 and less risk of snowy driving since a little further south. I have also done I80 to go to Utah resorts, but I try to avoid tolls and there are some up that way. PA turnpike is not so great, tolls and it's an old interstate with lots of curves and repair work. I used to studiously avoid it, but it's better than it used to be and has been updated in places.

gmcunni

From Wash DC area I actually take I64 sometimes thru KY. It's quiet compared to I70 and less risk of snowy driving since a little further south. I have also done I80 to go to Utah resorts, but I try to avoid tolls and there are some up that way. PA turnpike is not so great, tolls and it's an old interstate with lots of curves and repair work. I used to studiously avoid it, but it's better than it used to be and has been updated in places.

i wasn't thinking much about the toll $$ but wondering now... anyone know a good resource to determine the toll $$ along a specific route?

drjeff

I've got a friend, who is total ADD personality wise, and can't stay still for more than about 10 seconds, who used to be an instructor at Vail and lived by Mount Snow in the summer.

2 years ago, when she was driving back East from Vail, she went straight through, only stopping for gas, food and restroom use!!! Something like 32hrs total as I recall. She is not "normal" (she admits this point readily as well!! Lol!)

So as long as you don't mind a few long days behind the wheel (and lots of monotonous scenery from the Mississippi River West to Denver - my friend actually did the Vail to the Mississippi River portion at night because as she put it, it's less boring to focus on the field of view the headlights give you than just looking at non stop open fields as far as you can see for 750 straight miles! ) then sure you can do it

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

I'm doing this in a couple weeks and have done it numerous times. Plan the traffic right if going near Chicago. Two long days is doable imo. If you're rested, ambitious and don't hit alot of traffic just drive through the night, take a nap somewhere and straight shoot across. Rest it you need to rest though.

abc

my friend actually did the Vail to the Mississippi River portion at night because as she put it, it's less boring to focus on the field of view the headlights give you than just looking at non stop open fields as far as you can see for 750 straight miles! ) then sure you can do it
I think that's a very valid point.

If you're a night owl, drive straight into the wee hours. Traffic will be light.

If you're a morning person, start at 5am (or 4!). Either way, you'll have a faster time.

LonghornSkier

I've driven back and forth between Houston and Boston several times which is literally within 10 miles of Fairfield County (I think that's where you are?)-Denver. I've done it in two days, three days, and longer (combined with stopovers along the way). I'm pretty sure my longest day ever was Houston to just south of Louisville.

Anyhow, a few things I've learned:

-Get an EARLY start. Or better yet, leave the night before and knock out 4 hours to get yourself past morning rush hour. In the case of driving to Denver, maybe drive to the State College, PA area?
-Listen to a lot of music. Make multiple Spotify playlists. I would at least try to have 200 songs in the rotation.
-Drive 85 MPH in rural areas. This can save you 1-2 hrs/day vs. just setting cruise control at 70. Sanity > Gas Mileage
-I always enjoy stopping in middle-of-nowhere towns and going to local restaurants. But, I think that might be easier in the South vs. Great Plains.

snoseek

My record is grand junction to coastal nh in 34 hours but ill never push it like that again.

gmcunni

-Drive 85 MPH in rural areas. This can save you 1-2 hrs/day vs. just setting cruise control at 70. Sanity > Gas Mileage

i've often wondered if i drove a constant 60MPH over a distance would i get better mileage... then i remember my time (and sanity) is worth more :)

cdskier

Key West to York, ME (1725 miles) - 26 hours. 2 drivers, No stops, Gas only - Hammer down !

My 3 co-workers that I drove up to MA from NJ last week (and back) thought I was nuts for not wanting to stop on a 4 hour drive. I should introduce them to some of you all! :lol:

mikec142

Doable? Maybe. Good idea? Probably not. Audio books would be a must for me. I drove NJ to Aspen 25 years ago. 600 miles per day was about all I could muster.

dlague

I've driven back and forth between Houston and Boston several times which is literally within 10 miles of Fairfield County (I think that's where you are?)-Denver. I've done it in two days, three days, and longer (combined with stopovers along the way). I'm pretty sure my longest day ever was Houston to just south of Louisville.

Anyhow, a few things I've learned:

-Get an EARLY start. Or better yet, leave the night before and knock out 4 hours to get yourself past morning rush hour. In the case of driving to Denver, maybe drive to the State College, PA area?
-Listen to a lot of music. Make multiple Spotify playlists. I would at least try to have 200 songs in the rotation.
-I always enjoy stopping in middle-of-nowhere towns and going to local restaurants. But, I think that might be easier in the South vs. Great Plains.
We did that. Rather than starting in the morning we actually drove like 4 hours the night before and got a jump.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Most I'll do these days is 14 hours in a car in a day, with 12 hours actually driving. Been several years since I've driven farther than from NH to DC.

My longest continuous drive was from Chatham, MA to Atlanta when I was 21. I was dating a girl from there who worked at the same resort as I did on the Cape. She wanted to head home for the Olympics and visit family for a few weeks before returning to college. Her Southern Baptist father was not comfortable with his daughter driving with a boyfriend and staying in a hotel. I worked day bar shift that Sunday from 10-5, left directly from work, fought through the Cape Cod bridge traffic and drove straight through arriving in Atlanta at 3PM on Monday. So, 23 hours straight in the car with stops for gas and food, following a 7 hour shift; 32 hours straight being awake.

Took a plane back to New England on Tuesday afternoon as I had to work on Wednesday.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Whitey

It's about another 10 hrs further west of Denver, but I drove Nantucket to Sun Valley ID a couple of times when I was younger. A couple of times from upstate NY to Sun Valley. Did almost all of them solo, except for a dog. I can do 14-16 hrs straight before I start to lose my mind. Made the trip a couple of times in just over 2 days, but 3 days is more realistic. I once left from Denver and drove all the way back by myself non-stop except for gas. Made it 20 hrs and to Erie PA before I started hallucinating and had to pull over and stop. Stayed in a lot of crappy roadside motels along the way. $30-$40 for a room. Sleep for 6 hrs, get up, get going again.

prsboogie

1800 miles, 1 driver, 2 days. . . can it be done, safely?

rt 80 or 70?

I have been on both 70 & 80 and dislike both equally. Tolls vs sh*tty roads, rather avoid Chi-town when possible (or at least durning business hours till 8 PM) To echo the many opinions if you like driving it's not a problem just make sure to occupy your mind with music or books.

My advise, head out around 4 AM on Day one and you should be in good shape in the Northeast areas putting the majority of driving during daytime hours. Whatever you decide good luck and drive safe.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

snoseek

I think I'm all done with the 90/80 route between Cleveland and Chicago as I've had a lot of bad luck with traffic on that stretch. Also with out of state plates I've been pulled over and shaken down several times now...three of those times involved dogs and one of them involved me on the side of the fucking highway for three hours while they tore my vehicle apart. That was the only time I had any weed...they never checked my pockets lol. They did however leave all my stuff scattered on the side of the highway. Seriously fuck you Illinois!

If going the 90 route consider taking the southern tier highway through New York as its a beautiful drive and saves toll money. Plus it avoids going through Buffalo which is nice.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's individual. It's 900 miles a day, by yourself.

There's enough daylight to easily fit in the 12-14 hr day on the road, and some. This time of year, it's not likely you'll have much weather. So safety is only a matter of staying awake.

Some people can stay awake hour after hours in monotonic flat stretches. Others gone mad with boredom.

I did that same drive in 3 days in the middle of winter. And then just finished the reverse (arrived late last night), in about the same time (I started from 2 hr beyond Denver). I felt relaxed the whole time. Concentration was never an issue. But my limitation was my body not my mind. At the end of each day, my back was letting me know it didn't like being in that same position for much longer. So for me, no way I could up that by 50%.

I went I-80 both ways. (also, in the middle of Midwest, it's easy to keep trucking along at 80+mph. Every 1mph helps in such a long drive)

Agreed. You'll get sore before you're bored.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wicked sore. For me its my legs and I've learned the wonders of compression socks on a drive like that!

I stayed at places with pools and hot tubs to loosen up after a day's drive.