• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre: 2/18/2007

adamti91

Belleayre Mountain, February 18, 2007:

Introduction: President's day Sunday... PACKED at Belleayre but no ride to Plattekill (headed up there tomorrow, and Windham and Hunter would obviously be more crowded than Belleayre, especially the latter). Got up pretty early at around 9:15, the ticket line was at least 45 people long but the season passholders line was only two people, lucky me...

Weapon of Choice: Option Sansalone 135 [Supercap 149 is getting tuned at Potter Brothers, had to whip out the old board from a few years back, boy was this thing fun to mess around with today. Sort of wish I had the Supercap for carving, but whatever it's not going to be done getting tuned up until midweek, PB was probably swamped for the holiday].

Conditions: Most of the snow from Valentine's Day was still up there, and tons of powder could be found on sides of most trails and non marked tree runs. First run was down Tongora, cutting across to Belleayre Glades (this has become a favorite run of mine...), which surprisingly were not that tracked out, especially on the sides. The odd stick or stone was poking through though. Took a run down Wannatuska then headed over to the park and met up with some friends for some runs in there. Headed over to Tomahawk with them for a run through the Deer Run trees, nice pow and open turns if you could fine the right line, tons of covered roots though and we all fell a few times. The woods run we took throws you out on Cayuga, whitch leads to the bottom of Dot Nebel. Hit the same woods again, this time took some better lines with a better result. Took a run down the glades under Tomahawk, which had some bumps, almost like moguls for most of it. Hit Seneca, which had real big moguls, not much fun on a snowboard. We headed back to the park to find the landings real icy and the gapers all in full force. I get sort of tired of the park so after a few runs my friends were wanting to hike the first jump, front flipping and what not so I took off down to get some lunch (around 12 now?). The place was PACKED, but met up with another friend, took some runs down Tongora > Belleayre Glades, then headed over to Tomahawk with him. Hit the Deer Run woods again, followed the old lines until it met the hiking trail, then we split up to race to the bottom. We came out on top of the cliffs where Deer Run opens up and meets Cayuga at about the same time... One run down Seneca and we headed in for some curly fries. Went over to Superchief to find almost no lift line, so we hit up the trees between Belleayre Run and Wannatuska from the top (in those pine trees, really cool in there). Some big rocks but it was my backup board anyway, no big deal. Went straight down through Belleayre Glades, then did the whole thing again for the last run of the day, we left around 4.

Weather: Pretty cold and windy. Snow showers early on and then cleared up again. Visibility got really low and the snow was really coming down hard on my second trip over to Tomahawk, maybe around 2? Apparantly they got 2" of powder today which kept the trails in good shape.

Lifts: Superchief was PACKED by 10:00, 25-30+ minute wait. Lift 7 wasn't as bad, but still around 5 or 10 minutes. They were racing over near Tomahawk (on Peekamoose of all places, not Dot Nebel which is the racing trail), so there was a good 10 or 15 minute wait there, but that died down to 2-3 chairs by afternoon. Lift 7 also died down, and even Superchief had only a 2 minute wait by my last run, despite Belleayre being open until 4:30 today.

Notes: Apparantley the most crowded day at Belleayre ever? I think that's what the announcement said, it was definatley the most crowded of the year and I guess ever... $10 off next lift ticket if you show today's (I have a pass so it doesn't really matter but any of you up there today who didn't know, they announced it a bunch). They kept the mountain open until 4:30 because of the crowds I guess, don't know why they don't do it everyday if it's obviously not for a safety reason, but I got a ride home from my friend at 4 anyway.

Rating: 9/10

Conclusion: Good conditions most of the day, fun tree runs, but completely packed...

Last edited:

Bandit2941

Yes, it was packed!

Got up there around 8 and booted up for first run. Skied till 11:30 then went in to get ready to leave as I had a party to go to. Was able to nab a bar stool and had a quick lunch of soup and liquid bread. Heard from some instructors that the wait for people to get from the cross country parking lot up to the lodge was 1 hour, and they were bussing them up in dumptrucks since there weren't enough shuttles! Couldn't find a place to sit and take my boots off so I had to do it standing.

Attached are some pics from when we were leaving around 12. Cars were parked all the way down the access road until the intersection, as seen in the second pic. The cross country lot was full and people were parking down in the lots next to 28 (the last pic was taken from 28). I couldn't believe how packed it was and why people would even think about trying to show up to ski at 12pm on Presidents Weekend.

ajl50

that is the most insanely packed i have ever seen belleayre
WTF.
I cringe at what hunter might have been.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
It was insane. Officially it was the busiest day in the history of Belleayre. On top of it all, we got caught in a snow squall on deer run about 2PM. The whiteout was so bad we could not see 10 feet in front of us on the crowded trail. There is a silver lining though.

From the Belleayre website:
Belleayre says Thanks for helping us set a skier record yesterday! To show our appreciation, bring back your February 18 lift ticket after February 25 for $10 off a full priced lift ticket!

kingslug

Got some free tickets today at a ski shop. Guess I'll have to go next week. Sounds like the conditions are a little better than Hunter.

JimG.

Staff member
that is the most insanely packed i have ever seen belleayre
WTF.
I cringe at what hunter might have been.

Hunter was nothing out of the ordinary for a holiday Monday.

Sounds like everyone was cringing about Hunter with you at Belleayre.

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
It was insane. Officially it was the busiest day in the history of Belleayre.[/I][/INDENT]

I assumed at first that they meant it was the biggest day ever, but later we heard an announcement that it was the biggest day this season. I do believe there have been more crowded days at Belleayre within my scope of ski days there over the last 5 years or so. I think with Superchief as a high speed, it is changing the way the mountain is skied and the slopes themselves never felt crowded. The coupon given seems to be another step in a long line of innovations this season to get more people to ski Belleayre.

I have to admit, the weekend overall was much less crowded than I expected. I skied Belleayre Friday through Monday. Sunday was the most crowded day, followed in volume by Saturday, and then Friday; and yesterday was amazingly EMPTY. Monday was the day to ski.

Hey adamti91, I gotta say this: Stay off Superchief once it gets crowded. The lines there are much more time consuming than Seven and Tomahawk. Did I ever tell you that I timed a Lift 7 ride and compared it to the time it takes to ski fast down to Superchief and ride to the top. Guess what: it is exactly equal.

I am going to give up my secret system here, so get out the printer: The way to do Belleayre to reduce line-waiting time is to start early on Superchief. Once there is a line there, switch to 7, and once there is a line there, switch to Tomahawk. Take an early lunch at Overlook. Get out before 12:30 and get a few line-less runs while the multitudes fight for table space. There might be a few longer waits in the PM before the busloads have to head back to Discovery. You can get through that with some creative lift-line loading. If with a group, assess the shortest line and break up into singles, doubles, triples or whatever is called for. Recruit other singles or doubles if you need to make the count right. When skiing down to a lift, before committing to the left or right side of a lift, observe where the shortest lines are, or switch sides around the back if you need to.

For me and my family, it was an all around awesome 4-day weekend. I have pics and vid to upload and a blog to write about it, if I can find the time between getting all the wash done and repacking before Friday!

adamti91

Once there is a line there, switch to 7, and once there is a line there, switch to Tomahawk.

That's what I usually do on crowded days, from skiers right to left, but Sunday the lines on Tomahawk were longer that Lift 7 because of races for part of the day, so I switched it up a little.