• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke Mountain: February 17, 2007 (AZ Gathering) WITH Pics

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: February 17, 2007

Resort or Ski Area: Burke Mountain

Conditions: P/PP

Weather: Snow showers in AM, partly cloudy in PM. Cold.

2006-2007 Report # : 32

AZer's In Attendance: Trailboss, Ms. TB, Andy Zee, Vi, Jeff, Jeff's wife, RIDEr, Ms. RIDEr, Snowmonster, Roomate of Snowmonster, from_the_NEK, koreshot, Chris "The Weatherdude," Eric, the original trailboss (a cameo appearance)

Trip Report: Well, by popular demand, we finally had an AZ Burkeapolooza. The interest for Burke, combined with the school vacation, and the fresh snow meant that my inbox was full all week with requests to join. It was amazing.

I got to the mountain at 9:05 and was greeted by Mountain VP Dick Andross who was taking some time to park cars in the lot.

"What are you doing? You're LATE! Did your alarm clock not go off?" He joked.
"Something like that..."
"Well, I am telling [the original trailboss] about this!" :lol:

So in short, TB is, um, not as anonymous as he thought....

I met Andy Zee and his crew in the lot.

"Nice to see you, this place reminds me of Plattekill. That's a good thing," Andy said.

We got our tix (thanks to some help from a reader of our boards and Burke reports :wink: ) and met in the lodge. Koreshot, RIDEr, and Ms. RIDEr came in and we all got ready.

Once outside, we took two warm-ups on Binney Lane and Dashney Mile.

At 10am, our group took up most of the loading area. Snowmonster, his roomate, Chris "The Weatherdude," and his friend Eric met up with us.

DSCN0263.JPG

And we were off to the top. First run was down Dipper to an awesome Powderhorn. Everyone was ripping nice turns. We jumped into some pow on Dipper Doodle, where some folks found themselves in a bit too deep...Jeff and Andy Zee got buried at one point!

From there, we went back up to the top. Ms. TB and Ms. RIDEr went one way, from_the_NEK took koreshot and some other folks tree skiing, and I took the remainder of the folks down Bear Den Ledges and its pow and bumps:

DSCN0268.JPG

It was great. Deep drifted snow and lots of fun.

From here, we rode back up and did East Bowl, much to RIDEr's chagrin, but heck, he did a great job getting enough speed to get through the run outs! The trail was in great shape. I pointed out the glades and we headed back up.

Next run was down Carriage Road to a bumped up Doug's Drop. We picked our way down and then rendezvoused with from_the_NEK and the tree rats. We all headed down Mountain Marsh to Marshland. Koreshot got through on his wide boards and I picked my way through. Snowmonster sampled his first glade and Andy and Vi made it through OK. From here, some of us went to lunch while I took a group to the top for one more run down Willoughby.

After lunch, we headed back up to the top. First run was down Wilderness, which was bumps galore:

RIDEr:

DSCN0271.JPG

Then it was down Powderhorn to the Dippers and Poma. Kudos to Snowmonster's roomie for making it down her first bump run!

We did a spin on the Poma and Warren's Way...RIDEr made it 2/3 the up the Poma on his board...that takes skill!

From there, we planned on one more East Bowl run, but ski patrol beat us to the trail and closed it. So we did a spin down Fox's Folly, one of Burke's most infamous trails. Ms. RIDEr got some jeers and responded in kind :wink:

DSCN0279.JPG

And we did one closer on the Dippers all the way down. Ms. TB did Toll Road.

We took some nice shots and then headed down for Apres Ski:

DSCN02941.JPG

Apres Ski in the Tamarack Bar was fun. Mr. Andross made a brief appearance and saw the crew. Everyone had a great time at the bar hanging out. The evening ended with lots of handshakes, promises to ski Burke again, and even some hugs. If you didn't come, you really missed out. This was THE day to ski Burke and THE GROUP to do it with :wink:

DSCN02991.JPG

Feel free to chime in with YOUR report and pics.

Trailboss' Burkeapolooza Album

Last edited:

adamti91

Sounds like a nice mountain... Hope to get to an AZ meet up soon, not many in the Catskills though.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Good TR TB, I was tempted to do one but knew I wouldn't remember the runs and figured I'd wait for yours. Sorry I didn't get to ski with you all after lunch, but as you know, we wanted to give Millie some company. Definetly a great time.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah, I tried to do a merge, but it didn't work....maybe we can get an assist here? :wink:

Greg

Staff member
Great report and pics. Two AZ gatherings on one weekend. It used to be one or two per year.... :beer:

koreshot

Nice TR trailboss. It was great meeting so many AZ peeps and AZ significant others. It was a fun day, Burke is a nice place. Sorry I never met up with you guys after lunch, but NEK had me going up and down the mountain like a mad man. He definely likes to rack the vert up. It was quality vert too - he knows how to find good snow and steep lines.

Any more photos of the day? I can't believe I fogot to bring my camera. Andy, you got any footage on the helmet cam?

There is only tough part about the day was my encounter with a tree, early in the day. Bad judgement of terrain vs. my speed resulted in a bail-out turn, backseat style, and I ejected out of my ski. Hitting thin cover when I was most vulnerable didn't help either. Now out of control and still going pretty fast down the gladed run, I rotated to my side facing the fall line long ways and saw a birch tree, about a food in diameter coming at me. There was nothing I could do to change my destiny and I ran squarely into the tree with my stomach. The impact was hard enough that I basically folded/wrapped around the tree, smacking my boots with my hands.

Had I hit the tree 6" in either direction, I would have either bruised my pelvis or cracked a few ribs - got very lucky. In the process I somehow bruised my quad muscle pretty badly. I skied out the rest of the day in some pain (the skiing was too good to stop), but could barely walk on the leg by Sunday morning. Stomach muscles and a couple of ribs have been hurting too, but I am feeling pretty good this morning so I am pretty sure there was no serious damage done. :)

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Andy, you got any footage on the helmet cam?

Sure got some footage, haven't had a chance to look at it yet and obviously, I wasn't able to fly with you. Damn, this boy loves air! I'll see what I can do with regards to getting something off the cam, but it's going to be tough since we'll be getting ready for our Utah trip Thursday. :( :) Oh, and glad your injury wasn't too bad, remember, just climb right back up on that horse. :)

Greg

Staff member
Sure got some footage, haven't had a chance to look at it yet.....I'll see what I can do with regards to getting something off the cam...

So basically, expect to see this footage sometime in September.... :roll:

;)

snowmonster

Yeah, yeah that sounds right. Got one or two face shots as well. My face hitting the snow :)

As long as it's not footage of my face plants, andyzee! Looking forward to seeing the footage too.

koreshot, glad you're all right. We were worried about you after we heard of your adventure in the woods. Get well and see you on another AZ outing.

trailboss, great pics! Little snowmonster left the camera in the car so no contributions from us. She had a blast though -- enjoyed both the skiing and the stories at apres ski!

Greg

Staff member
I went to the one with all the cool kids, where was the other one? 8)

The one where we release [POST="145643"]video evidence[/POST] within a couple days...