• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

May/June Late Season Skiing

Duncanator24

I am already feeling withdrawals from this great season of skiing and want to try and get in another trip either in Mid-May or early June if possible. Obviously with the changing of seasons, there are not many options. But lift tickets are cheap and Spring conditions are always really fun.

Thinking:
- Jay Peak
- Killington
- Mammoth Mountain or Squaw Valley (closing date of July 4th)

Obviously going out West is a bit of a stretch but I am sure they will have the best snow and number of trails open. Any other mountain options I am missing that I should consider?

Domeskier

Does Sugarloaf stay open until late May/June? I assume they could if they wanted to.

cdskier

Jay's current plan is to run until May 7...they have stated it is up in the air whether they continue beyond that. Even for K early June could be a stretch. Too early to predict whether they will make that. For Mid-May, K would be my choice in the east (and possibly the only choice in the east).

cdskier

Does Sugarloaf stay open until late May/June? I assume they could if they wanted to.

Sugarloaf's snow report today says "It's the beginning of the last weekend of the 2016/2017 season and the weather is looking better and better." So to answer your question, it doesn't look like they are a choice after this weekend (although I suspect they could be if they wanted to considering they still have 128 trails open)

Jully

Sugarloaf's snow report today says "It's the beginning of the last weekend of the 2016/2017 season and the weather is looking better and better." So to answer your question, it doesn't look like they are a choice after this weekend (although I suspect they could be if they wanted to considering they still have 128 trails open)

Emailed them and got a very cookie cutter response. No chance of any opening beyond Monday, May 1. A big shame. Still plenty of snow up there.

Domeskier

Emailed them and got a very cookie cutter response. No chance of any opening beyond Monday, May 1. A big shame. Still plenty of snow up there.

That is a shame. Too bad they're so remote from major population centers. I guess locals can hike for turns well into June if so inclined.

chuckstah

I am already feeling withdrawals from this great season of skiing and want to try and get in another trip either in Mid-May or early June if possible. Obviously with the changing of seasons, there are not many options. But lift tickets are cheap and Spring conditions are always really fun.

Thinking:
- Jay Peak
- Killington

Obviously going out West is a bit of a stretch but I am sure they will have the best snow and number of trails open. Any other mountain options I am missing that I should consider?
A-basin is my go to late season. Also, Aspen often reopens for Memorial Day weekend, IF cover is still good, with up/downloading on the gondola.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

skiMEbike

They've officially said May 1st is their closing date....In years past they've traditionally gone to weekends only for a 1-2 more weekends, however that is not the vibe or word I am getting on the hill. Pretty certain Monday will be it for them....Heard rumors seasonal workers were told Monday is the last day. It is too bad, as I was there last weekend with everything below the spillway x-cut still open (including glades)....We got the last chair of the season on timberline with the front extensions (Nitro, Gondi, & Powder Keg) with very good coverage. It's always bittersweet to ski this time of year knowing it is "coming to an end". The mountain took a little hit this weekend, so I am guessing more bare spots will be showing, and most glades will probably be "done", however they should have most every trail open off Spillway X-Cut with plenty of coverage. Get it while you can !!!

Duncanator24

Really? that's crazy! I would imagine its due to the ~13k altitude. And only like a little over an hour from Denver. Maybe that is something I should consider!

wa-loaf

Really? that's crazy! I would imagine its due to the ~13k altitude. And only like a little over an hour from Denver. Maybe that is something I should consider!

The Pugski folks have big Mothers day party at A-Basin, it would be worth heading out just for that. I know Phill is bringing a bunch of demo skis with him too.

wa-loaf

Before becoming part of Boyne they often went to mid-May. I've skied there as late as May15. But Boyne has decided that Sunday River is their late season mtn even though the snow lasts longer at the Loaf.

Jully

Before becoming part of Boyne they often went to mid-May. I've skied there as late as May15. But Boyne has decided that Sunday River is their late season mtn even though the snow lasts longer at the Loaf.

Have they decided that? I thought Boyne more just decided they weren't in the late season game. They've both closed within a few days of each other the past few years and prior to that, SL was still doing the first weekend in May while SR was closing in April.

SIKSKIER

That certainly has changed.!28 down to 49 today and its really showing the disconnecting on the cam now.

Jcb890

Thinking:
- Jay Peak
- Killington

I'm in the same boat. I'm not ready to give up.

I think Jay is done 5/7. Even if they are open past then, it'll only be terrain off the Jet. If that's the case, I'd personally rather go to Killington and lap the Superstar Quad. At this point with the warm weather though, I have a feeling Killington won't make June 1st this year.

As for out West... there's some stuff still open.

Bachelor in Oregon - daily operations until Memorial Day.
Mt. Hood Meadows in Oregon also, not sure how late they usually go, maybe June/July?
Mammoth, CA
Squaw, CA
Heavenly, CA

Others who are open now, but I'm not sure if they're open past early May:

Mt. Rose, Tahoe
Sugar Bowl, CA
Timberline Lodge, OR
Snowbird, UT
White Pass, WA
Lake Lousie, Banff, CAN
Sunshine Village, Banff, CAN
Mont Saint-Sauveur, QC, CAN
Whistler-Blackcomb, BC, CAN
Winter Park, CO
Arapahoe Basin, CO
Loveland, CO
Nakiska, Alberta, CAN

drjeff

I'm in the same boat. I'm not ready to give up.

I think Jay is done 5/7. Even if they are open past then, it'll only be terrain off the Jet. If that's the case, I'd personally rather go to Killington and lap the Superstar Quad. At this point with the warm weather though, I have a feeling Killington won't make June 1st this year.

As for out West... there's some stuff still open.

Bachelor in Oregon - daily operations until Memorial Day.
Mt. Hood Meadows in Oregon also, not sure how late they usually go, maybe June/July?
Mammoth, CA
Squaw, CA
Heavenly, CA

Others who are open now, but I'm not sure if they're open past early May:

Mt. Rose, Tahoe
Sugar Bowl, CA
Timberline Lodge, OR
Snowbird, UT
White Pass, WA
Lake Lousie, Banff, CAN
Sunshine Village, Banff, CAN
Mont Saint-Sauveur, QC, CAN
Whistler-Blackcomb, BC, CAN
Winter Park, CO
Arapahoe Basin, CO
Loveland, CO
Nakiska, Alberta, CAN

Mount Hood Meadows doesn't go very much longer. In a few weeks, all the action on Mount Hood shifts solely to Timberline, which is the perennial epi-center of US summer skiing with a host of alpine and snowboard camps, and the lifts spinning in many years right on through to September when they shut them down for a few weeks of maintenance before the snow starts flying again

machski

Incorrect. Sugarloaf is the Boyne late season mountain. SR trims to weekends only after Patriots day while Loaf continues daily ops normally til closing day. That said, they will both close this year after May 1st, Loaf with arguably more of the mountain open than SR.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app