• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A Basin - 04/28/17

dlague

Conditions; Packed powder, Powdah

So the Continental Divide has been getting a constant 4-6 inches per day all week so we knew Saturday was going to be a mad house which it was. Will talk about that in a bit. In any case, Friday was best since it meant fewer people. Ya right! It is a powder day. We paid to park so we were good. We arrived around during 9:30 and could only ski until 2, had to get back for my sons lacrosse practice.

We immediately went to Montezuma Bowl which was fantastic. We skied Long Chutes and Black Bear while already chopped up, the bumps tjat were forming were soft and fun. We also did a couple runs on the groomers as well before heading to the front side.

We skied a run on East Wall where the powder was not as tracked out and maybe because of that the snow felt deeper. Everyone was hootin' and hollerin'. That was the best run thus far. We ended up going in for lunch then went back out to do a couple runs from the Pali lift. While the day was short, we had probably one of our best days this season. The lift lines were a little long at first but improved. The wait at Lenawee was almost 15 minutes but that was the longest.

Snowing on Montezuma side.
6a819532b27e3e914b88826a0022bfa6.jpg

ca32376eededecce9c19f8dd31dcc69c.jpg

080970e84a379700b2bd48b8e5a5ec9f.jpg

East Wall

9d10cccd273722fe06a336248983c39d.jpg

07c888dfdf7c5394e774be1c6bacc2c0.jpg

cfdb314e3eba367d99f36db93b5fb0a3.jpg

bb68b8b9492e5d99d1c9c5cd00d433ef.jpg

e57ca8bff5ae4ee5a6b65d5d704b9126.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Now the other part of the story! Our hunch was to go Friday thinking that Saturday was going to be a mad house. Well it was and A Basin's FB page got blown up with negative statements about parking and long lines and the impact there was on Dillon and Silverthorne due to traffic because Loveland Pass was closed for a bit.. On any given day when other resorts are open this would not have been an issue but because they are still open everyone and their brother were out and it was an overloaded situation. Not A Basin's fault but people can be as Sholes.

Here is a picture that was posted of the lift line in Zuma Bowl. Never seen it like this.

37ab7bbe4be34d517cd1e7a9d584c942.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

Now the other part of the story! Our hunch was to go Friday thinking that Saturday was going to be a mad house. Well it was and A Basin's FB page got blown up with negative statements about parking and long lines and the impact there was on Dillon and Silverthorne due to traffic because Loveland Pass was closed for a bit.. On any given day when other resorts are open this would not have been an issue but because they are still open everyone and their brother were out and it was an overloaded situation. Not A Basin's fault but people can be as Sholes.
What did "people" do?

dlague

Last edited:

abc

I do wonder why Summit stage only run one per hour bus to A-basin.

Bus to Breck runs twice an hour. Copper too. For all the 6 weeks I was in Silverthrone, I rode the bus back from Breck (car pool with my buddy there, she goes to work after a few hours, I took the bus back after lift closes). But with the sparse schedule of A-basin, the wait becomes too much. We BOTH drove there, taking up TWO parking spots.

The mountain can spread skiers out. Lift line will simply be tolerated. It may not be A-Basin's fault. But the reality is there's not enough parking, nor sufficient bus. Don't know whose fault is that?