• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where do you bike / mountain bike...

Bumpsis

Blue Hills - MT bike and road

Western burbs (Dover, westwood), East. Mass. South Shore for longer road rides.

Doro

backyard is the fells reservation and not too far is lynn woods. both are great and offer a diverse network of trails and challenges

Talisman

skibum1321 said:
I have yet to see a good CT driver. I'm originally from RI and now in MA so I know firsthand that most of our drivers suck but you guys are no better.

I'm from MA, live in CT and worked in RI. The drivers in the three states are all bad.

I enjoy mtn biking in E CT and RI.

In RI:

Aracadia
Big River
Burlingame

In CT:

Pachaug
Bluff Pt /Haley Farm

In MA

Franklin
Foxboro
Harwich stuff off of the bike path

In VT:

Mt Snow
Killington
NE Kingdom

I have to say that I am less inclined to drive a long way just to bike, when some of the local rides are so good, like Arcadia or Big River.

skibum1321

Talisman said:
I have to say that I am less inclined to drive a long way just to bike, when some of the local rides are so good, like Arcadia or Big River.
I've been to Arcadia 3 or 4 times but still have yet to be impressed.

Talisman

skibum1321 said:
I've been to Arcadia 3 or 4 times but still have yet to be impressed.

I'm not sure I would drive from Malden to Arcadia for the riding. Arcadia is big for So NE at ~40,000 acres and usually has something for every one, but it isn't easy to find some of the goods. What are you looking for?

skibum1321

Talisman said:
I'm not sure I would drive from Malden to Arcadia for the riding. Arcadia is big for So NE at ~40,000 acres and usually has something for every one, but it isn't easy to find some of the goods. What are you looking for?
I'm from RI originally so that's where I tend to ride when I go home. I admit that I don't know the place well and stick to the easy to find trails. I'm looking for some good, technical singletrack with some long climbs and descents. One thing that I've noticed about southern NE in general is that climbs and descents tend to be shorter due to the topography.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
skibum1321 said:
I'm from RI originally so that's where I tend to ride when I go home. I admit that I don't know the place well and stick to the easy to find trails. I'm looking for some good, technical singletrack with some long climbs and descents. One thing that I've noticed about southern NE in general is that climbs and descents tend to be shorter due to the topography.

Yeap, tough to make a mountain where there isn't one.

If you visit RI on a regular basis, the town of Milford, MA is on your way. Stop off sometime at Vietnam. That's a phenomenal place to bike.

skibum1321

Yeah, I've heard that Vietnam is awesome. I haven't gotten there yet unfortunately, but it is on the hit list for sure.

Talisman

skibum1321 said:

So you are correct that long VT or NH ascents and decscents aren't going to happen in RI or most of CT. Try Mt Tom in Arcadia for technical riding or the ledges up in the Escoheag section both of which are on the DEM map of Arcadia. The Northern half of Arcadia had more technical stuff and the southern sections are more cross country stuff because it is the outwash plain from the last glacier. Big River is pretty much cross country riding.

skizilla

Bluff Point

I mountain bike bluff point and find it to be some of the best mountain biking in CT. Sure there are not a lot of uphills but it is just crammed with single track some of which is very technical. The trails are fast and they are in great shape and the ocean views cannot be beat.
In Massachusetts i ride in agawam at robinson state park again trails are in great shape and are real fast.