• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where do you bike / mountain bike...

skijay

mountain biking:

I have discovered that Forest Park in Springfield, MA has some decent mountain biking trails in the woods. It is hard to believe since this is located just minutes from the skyscrapers of Springfield. For me it is 10 minutes to some nice wooded trails and some hilly terrain, a couple of small streams to cross. It is a nice ride and not to hard. I would say novice to intermediate terrain.

Shenipsit - Somers, CT This is about 10 minutes for me to the Soapstone mountain entrance. There are some nice trails throughout the area. I usually take the trail to the top from the parking area near the access road to the summit. It is a nice climb and once you find the dirt roads you can find other trails off of these.

mounatin biking sans the mountains:
Norowotuck Rail Trail - Hadley, NoHo, Amherst, MA
I like this for 16 miles (8 each way) of paved riding. It is great exercise and somewhat scenic once you past the back of the Hampshire Mall going towards the end opposite of Interstate 91.

Charlie Schuessler

To ride in a few charity events each summer/fall season, (and most importantly stay in skiing shape) I ride my touring bike 3-days a week for 12-16 miles per and 25-40 miles one morning every other weekend. For fun, we break it up with some trail riding on our property or find a small group trial rides in Southern NH.

We spent two days riding the carriage roads in Acadia National Park this past Memorial Day weekend as well as hiking up Cadillac Mountain.

To be honest, riding bicycyles makes feel 30-years younger. :D

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I like to mountain bike without the mountains ...especially rail trails. I love the r.o.w.'s off the western end of the Minuteman Trail, the Nashua River Rail Trail, assorted conservation areas throughout Lexington, and I'm itching to try the Ware River Trail, around the Quabbin, the Norwottuck, and the Southern New England Trunk Line Trail.

skijay

I have found myself biking more since I have found the trails inside of Forest Park.

skijay

After the original post about 2yrs ago, I can update my riding:

This past summer I started downhill mountain biking again at Jiminy Peak.

skibum1321

Here's a list of the some of the usual spots I hit for mtn biking...

NH:
Yudicky SP (Nashua)
FOMBA (Amherst)

MA:
Lowell-Dracut-Tyngsborough SP

VT:
Camp Johnson
Waterbury Reservoir
Mobbs Hill/Valley
Arcana
Saxon Hill
Sleepy Hollow
Catamount

I'd love to go to Kingdom Trails, but it hasn't happened yet. Hopefully this year...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
For ATB I ride the following on a fairly regular basis-

MA:

Buffumville Lake - Oxford, MA
Hodges Village Dam - Oxford, MA
Rutland State Park, Rutland, MA
Vietnam - Milford, MA
Douglas State Forest - Douglas, MA

CT:

Windham Dam - Mansfield, CT
West Thompson Dam - Thompson, CT
Bigelow Hollow - Union, CT/Holland, MA
Case Mountain - Manchester, CT

VT:

Killington - Rutland, VT

I've never done Mount Snow. That's on the list for this summer as is the Kingdom Trails. I've also been dying to get up there and try those.

When I road bike, it is always starting from my house and usually going points south, west, or north. I rarely ride into RI. I prefer riding in CT to MA and RI because the drivers are better and so are the road surfaces. I have done a lot of riding in MA however, and now and then will take a ride up to and up Wachusett. A good climb.

ga2ski

I usually ride 1-2 times per week at FOMBA in AUBURN, NH and 1-2 times a month at Exeter Woods (Fort Rock) in Exeter, NH. Exeter woods is my favorite place to ride. Fomba is close and great to ride after work.

skibum1321

Marc said:
I prefer riding in CT to MA and RI because the drivers are better and so are the road surfaces.
I have yet to see a good CT driver. I'm originally from RI and now in MA so I know firsthand that most of our drivers suck but you guys are no better.

hammer

Charlie Schuessler said:
We spent two days riding the carriage roads in Acadia National Park this past Memorial Day weekend as well as hiking up Cadillac Mountain.
Are there trails in Acadia National Park that are family-friendly? Been thinking of a trip up that way this summer...

dmc

Tons of places in the Catskills...
North/South Lake is one of my favorites..

In NJ we pioneered the Watchung Reservation and South mountain in NJ in the mid-80's but got kicked out when Bike Shops started training for races there...

djspookman

Here's the places I like to ride:

VT:
Palmers Trails (backside of Saxon Hill)
Mobb Farm
Perry Hill
Smuggs
Braintree Hill
3 Stallion Inn
Mericastle
Macomber Ridge
Sugar Run-Camels Hump State Forest trails (Fayston/Waitsfield)
Kingdom Trails
Camp Johnson/Sunny Hollow
Trollheim
Sleepy Hollow (a great place to have a wedding at too!)

NH:
Kingman Farm
my backyard (soon to re-develop the trails back there- 300+ acres worth)

dave

Last edited:

Charlie Schuessler

hammer said:
Are there trails in Acadia National Park that are family-friendly? Been thinking of a trip up that way this summer...
The Acadia National Park Carriage Roads is the definition of "Family Friendly." Most bicyclists are on rented bikes & wearing helmets. The Carriage Roads are cinder base and are shared between walkers, horse riders with rather easy grade changes for the most part. Also each trailhead has ample parking and at least one restroom. The Jordan Pond House is a great place to stop for lunch or a break, and there are several points you can climb and catch a great view.

Bike rentals from the local bike shops are reasonable in price and they offer bicycles in new or nearly condition. You can rent by the 1/2-day, day, or week.

I recommend extreme caution if planning to bicycle on the Park Loop Road, people driving on that road are site-seeing and not looking out for you. And the same goes for public roads, with little or nothing regarding bicycling room and the average driver is going much faster than the posted speed limit.

Sparky

hammer said:

There are 42 miles of carrage roads that Rockefeller had built when he owened that place. They are open to the public, the little bit I road was very doable. There are of course hills but I think you can find plenty that isn't to steep. You do have to share them with walkers some horseback riders, but as long as you avoid the road apples I think your family can have a good time.

Sparky

Cherry Plains

I live not to far from this State Park/Wild Life Management Area. There is a loop road that is not technical at all. Also there are some one track trails in the woods that are very technical, but worth the effort. These trails also branch out onto power lines and some logging roads. A few years ago someone on a Trail bike(read motorcycle) told me he had done over 75 miles on these trails without any back tracking. Not to worry though, I have seen very few motorized vehicles on these trails and I have been riding them for close to twenty years, I also have done some cross country skiing on them. It's a nicde park to spend some time in.

SKIQUATTRO

Here on Long Island..

MTN (usually every sunday AM in the Fall and Spring and Wed nights)
-Stillwell woods
-Greenbelt Trail
-Rocky Point

ROAD (daily - I can ride to/from work and also get out at lunch)
-I live on the North Shore (Gold Coast) and this area has great road biking roads, hills, not alot of traffic, beautiful mansions, views of Long Island Sound over to CT....stunning....

Usually get in 100+ mile per week in Spring/Summer/Fall

nek_crumudgeon

I've had the luxury of traveling all over the US to ride my mountain bike, and I've definately got to say that Kingdom Trails are by far one of the best networks that I've ever seen.

I like Catamount, but it's getting wider . . . Mt Snow is great too!