• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is Telemark Dead?

Hawk

It is still alive and well at sugarbush and Mad River in the MRV. But we are all hippies here anyway. ;-)

teleo

Getting harder and harder to demo gear. But we're not dead yet😉 at least mot in the MRV.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Scruffy

The new light AT gear, that's actually not so new, it's been on the market for some years now, sure put a dent in the tele proposition of: skin it, and ski anywhere, on the same light gear. The AT gear has just gotten so good there's no need to learn and maintain tele skills for a lot of people. Alpine turns are quicker and stronger in a lot of situations. Tele "can" offer better for-aft balance in tricky (i.e. sticky, junk, rotten) snow, but it's a small advantage for a lot of xtra work and sacrifices elsewhere. But, of course, YMMV; plenty of skilled skiers killing it on tele, and they wouldn't have it any other way.

Riverskier

Always looked like a lot of work, and not a lot of fun. Never understood the appeal... I have always been a skier, but would sooner switch to snowboarding than tele. To each their own...

dlague

Free the heel! Got a used set up last year but have not bought boots yet! So I will be giving it a try!

abc

Must be a boring day at Powdr! That opinion piece is not new. It's a rehash from February!
Free the heel! Got a used set up last year but have not bought boots yet! So I will be giving it a try!
Went the same route (used skis), with new boots 2 years ago. But last year snow was so poor here in the northeast I only tried it out for 1 run!

Did take it out a few times at Abasin and Keystone last month. Kind of fun change of pace.

On an alpine forum, everybody ASSUME tele is for BC. But that's not the only place you can use it. You can use it like a beefy xc system that allow you to do "in between" terrains: terrains that goes up and down along a ridge. AT would be a PITA having to switch back and forth between climbing and descend mode. Granted, that's a very small segment of skiers. Never mind you'll never see them in resort!

ironhippy

Must be a boring day at Powdr! That opinion piece is not new. It's a rehash from February!

Went the same route (used skis), with new boots 2 years ago. But last year snow was so poor here in the northeast I only tried it out for 1 run!

Did take it out a few times at Abasin and Keystone last month. Kind of fun change of pace.

On an alpine forum, everybody ASSUME tele is for BC. But that's not the only place you can use it. You can use it like a beefy xc system that allow you to do "in between" terrains: terrains that goes up and down along a ridge. AT would be a PITA having to switch back and forth between climbing and descend mode. Granted, that's a very small segment of skiers. Never mind you'll never see them in resort!
It's not switching from ski to hike that takes time, I can do that with my pole, it's putting on and taking off skins that that slows me way down

I'd imagine you'd have that same problem with tele skis...

Sent from my SM-A500W using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

I'd imagine you'd have that same problem with tele skis...
No.

There're skis with fishscale bottom that can climb moderate grade without skins. Much like waxless crosscountry skis.

I don't know if you can use them with AT bindings... I've never seen one setup like that.

Jully

Definitely don't feel it is dead. Telemarking is more common than manual transmission in automobiles... but I view them as similar in terms of a comparison.

BenedictGomez

Always looked like a lot of work, and not a lot of fun. Never understood the appeal...

Same here. The other thing is, as a skier who is no longer in his teens or even 20s, I'd like to keep my knees and ligaments intact for as long as possible so I can hopefully become one of those older skiers I occasionally see.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Same here. The other thing is, as a skier who is no longer in his teens or even 20s, I'd like to keep my knees and ligaments intact for as long as possible so I can hopefully become one of those older skiers I occasionally see.
I have a very good ski patrol friend who trashed his back working as a stone mason in his 20s. He switched to tele in his late 20s and found it to put dramatically less strain on his back compared to alpine. He's maintained a FT ski patrol job ever since and says he would have had to retire from ski patrol if not give up skiing all together had he stuck with alpine.

I also don't necessarily feel that tele puts your knees at any more risk than alpine. I'd put that in the "myth" category kind of like how some say bump skiing is worse for your knees than carving groomers. If anything I'd say the risk is less as those who participate in tele tend to be in much better physical condition than your average alpine skier.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

As I have mentioned on here before Tele is easier on your knees because with the heel free it puts less pressure on your knees. It spreads out the twisting and pressure to other things besides your knees.

teleo

Agreed. I've found Tele to be easier on knees and back due to the above and less banging. Need much stronger legs, but that helps protect other things.

Of course I haven't alpined in about 15 years, so what do I know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jcb890

I still see a decent amount of people doing it wherever I go to ride. It never seemed all that popular, but I don't think I really see less of them. It looks like a lot of work, so much respect to the people who can rip moguls and whatnot with the teles.