• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is Telemark Dead?

mbedle

I was looking at the data provided by Snowsports Industries and the data appears to show an increasing trend for snowboarding participants over the last 8 years. It also show a decreasing trend for downhill and alpine skiing with a significant increasing trend in freeskiing. If you combine all skiing types, you get no trend over the last eight years, but stable. Kind of doesn't match the data presented about snowboard equipment sales, not sure how to explain that.
http://www.snowsports.org/research-surveys/snow-sports-fact-sheet/

dlague

I was looking at the data provided by Snowsports Industries and the data appears to show an increasing trend for snowboarding participants over the last 8 years. It also show a decreasing trend for downhill and alpine skiing with a significant increasing trend in freeskiing. If you combine all skiing types, you get no trend over the last eight years, but stable. Kind of doesn't match the data presented about snowboard equipment sales, not sure how to explain that.

I noticed that too! Sales down SB visits up?

Smellytele

Is freeski AT? or just any backcountry? at + tele?

Hawk

That was very confusing. When I think of free skiing I think of not regimented skiing. For instance it would not be gates, moguls, park or jumps. More like skiing all the terrain at in bounds or out of bounds at your own will and at random. But if you look up the definition mbedle is correct.

"Freeskiing, or new school skiing is a specific type of alpine skiing, which involves tricks, jumps, and terrain park features, such as rails, boxes, jibs, or other obstacles. This form of skiing resulted from the growth of snowboarding combined with the progression of freestyle skiing"

dlague

That was very confusing. When I think of free skiing I think of not regimented skiing. For instance it would not be gates, moguls, park or jumps. More like skiing all the terrain at in bounds or out of bounds at your own will and at random. But if you look up the definition mbedle is correct.

"Freeskiing, or new school skiing is a specific type of alpine skiing, which involves tricks, jumps, and terrain park features, such as rails, boxes, jibs, or other obstacles. This form of skiing resulted from the growth of snowboarding combined with the progression of freestyle skiing"

http://freeskiingworldtour.com/ Notice it is not called Off-piste World Tour

Yet the Freeskiing World Tour is Big Mountain skiing hitting natural features (rock mostly), skiing steep faces and chutes. Where as the The Olympics refers to moguls, jumps, rails and big air as Freestyle.

The definition for both are similar, but Freeskiing is used loosely for Big Mountain style skiing.

I think their definitions are dated.

SIKSKIER

Have a number of friends at Cannon that only tele.Didn't think Cannon was a good place for that but thats all they do_One is a little over the top and spends many an evening skinning up even though he has a pass.For about 5 years a local inn owner used to tele board quite a bit at Cannon.First time I had seen one of those.Also,for a few years New England Telemark would have demos at a few areas including Cannon where they would give free lessons and free equipment.Dont see anything on their website about that now though.Also,a neighbor Heather Paul is one of the best US womans telemarker and hosts ski clinics all over the world.She is very impressive and actually hosted one at Cannon as she now lives locally after being in Crested Butte for many years.To all these telemarkers,their prefered sliding is not dead and I dont think its going anywhere.

SIKSKIER

I guess because of its "icey" reputation which is probably not what it was now.Thats probably a dumb statement on my part.And maybe my ignorance of thinking tele is is harder to ski on hard surfaces than alpine gear though I believe by watching it seems more skidding is involved than carving.Again.not having tried it I'm probably wrong.But I will say I absolutely love to watch great tele skiers. rip it up.

witch hobble

I'm a Cannon freeheeler. It's a pretty good place. I'd say pitch and tree characteristics are not as good for glade and off map stuff as at some other mountains that have more open hardwoods to thin. Many glades and off map stuff at Cannon is like somebody came thru a hemlock or balsam thicket and just lopped off limbs under 8'. Not that there's anything wrong with that. And there are several that actually have great flow. But many are tight hop turn shots that don't let freeheelers take advantage of our increased running length.

luvinjaycloud

In 300 days of skiing at Jay I only recall seeing one telemarker in the woods. That's OK, there are not a lot of them and you don't see that many people in the woods anyway. However, you don't see them under the Bonnie (CanAM, Office) or the Flyer (Exhibition). But I see them all the time under the jet. Just curious. I guess they like icy groomers.
Wow. I would totally disagree. I have an equivalent number of days at jay and see a double digit percent of tele skiers on most decent days. The better ones will be in the trees (you've only seen 1???, ive seen literally hundreds). Jay has a loyal telemark clientele and they are out in numbers on the best skiing days. Truth is, when you telemark you get better feedback from the mountains terrain and become more aware of your edges as you relie on them more for balance. Having spent many days telemarking I can say most fixed healers should try the discipline as it will make them better alpine skiers. Don't see the sport in decline although it's growth has moderated.

Jcb890

There's some Tele skiers here today at Killington, couple of them are ripping the moguls better than many of the alpine skiers. Pretty impressive.