• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death of Retail?

Glenn

Grocery shopping can be a chore. The stores are laid out to maximize your time. I get it, they have to make money. But it takes longer than it has to. And the lines at checkout; there has to be a more efficient way to cash out.

I rad an article last week the WSJ that some European retailers (H&M) are actually expanding their footprint in the US.

Edd

We were fortunate to have a small grocery store open across the street last year. The place is barely as big as a 7-11 but they have an excellent selection with a butcher counter, good beer and wine, and so on. It's pricier than a large chain but it worth it and serves 90% of our needs.

SkiFanE

Grocery shopping can be a chore. The stores are laid out to maximize your time. I get it, they have to make money. But it takes longer than it has to. And the lines at checkout; there has to be a more efficient way to cash out.

I rad an article last week the WSJ that some European retailers (H&M) are actually expanding their footprint in the US.
I'm a Market Basket fan. The prices and service are excellent and only at peak times are there bad lines. Compared to my towns Stop & Shop - so expensive, long lines, zero service - I wonder how they stay in business. Long lines bc they can't be bothered to staff. Small places are generally very expensive compared to MB - so only go in a pinch. I do love Foodies in Boston (now one in Belmont) - worth paying more for. But hate give S&S any of my business.

I cant imagine grocery shopping delivery - I tried Roach Brothers once - never did again - didn't feel it was worth it (there was a substation and something else I forgot). I have shopping down to a science - do it 50 times/year so I should be efficient by now!

Edd

Amazon Prime Video has a very good documentary about the Market Basket boycott from a few years ago. I learned a lot. That business is quite the story.

Jully

Amazon Prime Video has a very good documentary about the Market Basket boycott from a few years ago. I learned a lot. That business is quite the story.

Market Basket is great. Had a good friend who worked there and participated in the boycott. I shop at Aldi too (weird German grocery store). That process is extremely streamlined with miniature stores that are packed with at least everything I need.

Jully

I, personally, can't stand buying clothes on-line. I guess I'm fussy about the fit. I need to try them on, and hate shipping back stuff.

I'm quite a bit younger than most on here and I hate buying clothes online. Clothing stores won't be going away anytime soon. I just hope in 10 years TJMaxx type stores aren't my only option, but I don't think they will be.

The chain department stores will live on, and new ones will open up and take the market by storm. Every generation going back well into the 20th century has had 'their' department store with a new company capturing each new generation. Online will not eliminate that trend, it will just change it. The department store that finds a way to more seamlessly integrate the online experience will win out.

JimG.

Staff member
I cant imagine grocery shopping delivery - I tried Roach Brothers once - never did again - didn't feel it was worth it

Roach Brothers? As the name of a grocery delivery service? Really?

Who does the marketing and branding work for these businesses? Why not Listeria and Sons? Or Salmonella Inc.?

Jully

Roach Brothers? As the name of a grocery delivery service? Really?

Who does the marketing and branding work for these businesses? Why not Listeria and Sons? Or Salmonella Inc.?

Roche haha. Family name I believe. Overpriced grocery store. Utterly ridiculous.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Roche haha. Family name I believe. Overpriced grocery store. Utterly ridiculous.

It is a family name yes. Overpriced for every day items for sure. But, a good place to go for specialty produce and meats that you aren't likely to find in a standard grocery store. On those items, they're pretty well inline with a Whole Foods.

Jully

It is a family name yes. Overpriced for every day items for sure. But, a good place to go for specialty produce and meats that you aren't likely to find in a standard grocery store. On those items, they're pretty well inline with a Whole Foods.

That is very true.

jack97

There's one in the town where I've been living for over twenty years and remember one or two close by to where I have worked. IMO, they should be used as a case study on how to be successful with cheap items sellers such as MB, Hannaford and WalMart close by.

1.They were one of the first to offer salad bars and hot food. That was the reason we knew about them at work. IMO, they have the most variety of prep food compare to other markets. Lunch and dinner time is when they lay out these items

2. As mentioned, they offer better produce and better cuts of meat than most markets.

3. They have store promotion/sales on items that at cost are about the same as WalMart, they just don't have it on all items so it forces you to look or check their weekly fliers.

4. They make it a priority to hire local kids. Its most likely their first job so it makes for good karma and loyalty to their parents.

5. They rotate their managers which forces them to deal with the people they have and not allow the workers to get use to an entrenched management style.

And yes, they are located in middle class or upper middle class towns but they have adapted in growing competition. BTW, I heard Whole Foods is not doing so well.

Jully

Those are good points about how Roche was successful. I grew up in a town with a Roche Bros so I also remember seeing all of those improvements begin to take shape. It has a big presence in the towns its in due to the kid labor force. Hadn't ever thought about it that way until now.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Funny how the roof box thread is merging with this one. :lol:

To get up to speed here, EMS filed for bankruptcy last year, reorganized, and is again facing bankruptcy. It is owned by the same company that owns and operates Bob's Sports.

BG posted that Gander Mountain Sports is also on unsteady ground. He also mentioned that Cabela's may merge with BPS.

Glenn

Aldi is a cool store. Really interesting business model. It's the one grocery store I don't mind going into. Mainly because you can get out of there fairly quickly. I read a competitor of theirs is coming stateside, Lidl...another German grocery chain.

dlague

Funny how the roof box thread is merging with this one. :lol:

To get up to speed here, EMS filed for bankruptcy last year, reorganized, and is again facing bankruptcy. It is owned by the same company that owns and operates Bob's Sports.

BG posted that Gander Mountain Sports is also on unsteady ground. He also mentioned that Cabela's may merge with BPS.

That merger started last fall and fell apart in February due to regulatory issues tied to Capital One who was going to take on Cabelas' banking operations. So Capital one stepped aside and now a new southern bank stepped in saving the merger and will take the monetary assets from the banking operations and sell the credit card business to Capital One.

JimG.

Staff member
There's one in the town where I've been living for over twenty years and remember one or two close by to where I have worked. IMO, they should be used as a case study on how to be successful with cheap items sellers such as MB, Hannaford and WalMart close by.

1.They were one of the first to offer salad bars and hot food. That was the reason we knew about them at work. IMO, they have the most variety of prep food compare to other markets. Lunch and dinner time is when they lay out these items

2. As mentioned, they offer better produce and better cuts of meat than most markets.

3. They have store promotion/sales on items that at cost are about the same as WalMart, they just don't have it on all items so it forces you to look or check their weekly fliers.

4. They make it a priority to hire local kids. Its most likely their first job so it makes for good karma and loyalty to their parents.

5. They rotate their managers which forces them to deal with the people they have and not allow the workers to get use to an entrenched management style.

And yes, they are located in middle class or upper middle class towns but they have adapted in growing competition. BTW, I heard Whole Foods is not doing so well.

Sounds a lot like Stew Leonard's and Adam's Fairacre Farms in my area.

jimk

Looked at link to amazon go checkout-less shopping and it reminded me of something my brother told me. My bro works in the vending machine business where he says there is revolution going on. His company is installing mini 7-11 type shops inside office buildings with no human oversight. Shelves in the shop are stocked with candy, snacks, soda, etc. including maybe 30% of the kinds and quantity of things in a 7-11. The shops have one or two self-checkout machines like those at many current grocery stores. You are on your honor to swipe and pay for all your stuff just like self checkout at grocery. There is a camera or two in the shop to monitor things. The companies in the office building have agreed with the vending company to assist with prosecution of anyone who is detected of stealing stuff including possibility of job termination. My bro reports stealing has been a non-factor and revenue is many times the level of a batch of vending machines in the same amount of space because people buy stuff to last for the week, rather than for the next hour. Plus, because these mini-shops are so popular with clients the vending company can negotiate paying less of a percentage of the profits to the businesses for access to set up these mini-shops instead of vending machines. Oops, I digress :razz:

jack97

^^^ Self checkout was something I was thinking about in terms of how current retailers needs to adapt. I like the convenience and will shop at Home Depot and WalMart for that reason.