Death of Retail? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Items for Sale
    I jus read that even WalMart closed stores last year....they are going more internet. And they closed a significant number of stores. I will find and post the article. It also pointed to Macy's, JCP, and Sports Authority (RIP).

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Live, Ski, or Die!

Items for Sale
    http://www.bankrate.com/lifestyle/8-...05587f#slide=8

Live, Ski, or Die!

Items for Sale
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/22/news...ail/index.html

Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    So let's breakdown some of these named businesses.

JC Penney's: they are not really keeping up with the trends. Lots of real estate. Shifting markets. No real internet presence from what I see. Simply a has-been that is not keeping up with the times.

Sears: One only has to listen to a business channel or read some business websites to find PLENTY of commentary about this trainwreck. It's a slow, painful death for this once great retailer. Now being run by a group that is making money by scrapping it and selling off the place piecemeal. Wow. Just wow. In 20 years it has gone from top retailer to laughing stock.

Men's Wearhouse/JAB: I think these two merged...maybe I am wrong. MW had a mini-crisis when they DUMPED their spokesman/founder. Identity issues in my book. Again, no innovation in their retail. Expensive prices. Changing trends. Young men no longer really wear suits to work....those that have jobs. Those that have high end jobs are finding that dress codes are more relaxed.

Casual Male: no idea who the hell these guys are. What does that tell you?

Women's Wear: a saturated marketplace.

Overall, folks have less disposable income. There are niche stores that appeal to those that do. Folks are penny pinching by going to TJ Maxx or thrift stores. And a lot of younger folks want to do more with less.
    All good points. I'm a creature of my demographic...old, male, white collar. You're right about ties. To me they are a badge of achievement, to the under 35 crowd they mean boredom and failure. All the young tech millionaires don't own a tie

Sears uswd to be decent - one a few miles away and we've bought many appliances from then and kids clothes. Now it's useless with no help and nothing worth buying.

BUT that doesn't mean retail is dead. They turned the second floor of Sears into a Primark - great cheap clothes - that place is hopping.

But the up to 40yo group buys most online. Some get everything from amazon-TP included. I shook my head and their argument was sound. They don't have to lug it into / out of car and it's much cheaper than store. Why not? But I can't imagine giving up my weekly grocery trip. Clothes I fail at online. I do like to but small electronic things online - easy to get reviews and order exactly what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiFanE View Post
    Sears uswd to be decent - one a few miles away and we've bought many appliances from then and kids clothes. Now it's useless with no help and nothing worth buying.

BUT that doesn't mean retail is dead. They turned the second floor of Sears into a Primark - great cheap clothes - that place is hopping.

But the up to 40yo group buys most online. Some get everything from amazon-TP included. I shook my head and their argument was sound. They don't have to lug it into / out of car and it's much cheaper than store. Why not? But I can't imagine giving up my weekly grocery trip. Clothes I fail at online. I do like to but small electronic things online - easy to get reviews and order exactly what you want.
    I never really have been a fan of weekly routine things that are not recreational. So groceries are a necessary evil. But that too is being resolved. King Sooper here allows you to order online and they bag it and bring it to your car when you arrive. While we have not adapted to that yet the grocery solution has been approached for the past 15-20 years. Around Boston there is Peapod. It will catch on soon.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Hannaford has the pick up service too. I could see using it for stuff like paper towels, but not fish, meats or produce.

Overall I enjoy grocery shopping. Not something I'm interested in trying to streamline the process.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Hannaford has the pick up service too. I could see using it for stuff like paper towels, but not fish, meats or produce.

Overall I enjoy grocery shopping. Not something I'm interested in trying to streamline the process.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Agree 100%!!

Something about physically myself checking out produce (and sometimes getting ideas when I see something I didn't think I was looking for produce wise), and I could never give up looking at what's in the butcher case and talking with the butcher, or the fish counter staff, the deli staff and the bakery staff at my local super market.

While I could see clicking a box online for say my kids favorite cereal, or the families preferred box of dry pasta or laundry detergent etc, there's something about actually using one's sense of sight, smell, touch and sometimes even hearing (like the sound a ripe canteloup makes when you tap on it) that as someone that enjoys the start to finish cooking process could never give up. Kind of like how atleast psychologically and produce grown in my own garden and harvested and prepared by me and my family, always tastes better than anything I can buy at my local farmer's market or grocery store 😁

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

'17 - '18 Season:
    November: 12,18,19 (Mount Snow)

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    All good points. I'm a creature of my demographic...old, male, white collar. You're right about ties. To me they are a badge of achievement, to the under 35 crowd they mean boredom and failure. All the young tech millionaires don't own a tie
    As a young techie I will tell you that I own several ties, but I only wear one a couple times per year. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Agree 100%!!

Something about physically myself checking out produce (and sometimes getting ideas when I see something I didn't think I was looking for produce wise), and I could never give up looking at what's in the butcher case and talking with the butcher, or the fish counter staff, the deli staff and the bakery staff at my local super market.

While I could see clicking a box online for say my kids favorite cereal, or the families preferred box of dry pasta or laundry detergent etc, there's something about actually using one's sense of sight, smell, touch and sometimes even hearing (like the sound a ripe canteloup makes when you tap on it) that as someone that enjoys the start to finish cooking process could never give up. Kind of like how atleast psychologically and produce grown in my own garden and harvested and prepared by me and my family, always tastes better than anything I can buy at my local farmer's market or grocery store 😁

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Meats and produce are same reason we don't do ir.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Thread Information